One Pass Won't Record the HD Program

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by MatrixOutsider, Aug 22, 2015.

1. MatrixOutsider

MatrixOutsider Member

Mar 7, 2003
    Hartsdale, NY

Advertisements

I am trying to set up a pass for "Fear The Walking Dead" on AMC. I chose the HD channel program from the search menu and saved the pass. However, the SD channel program is what is checked off in the to do list. How do I force it to record HD only?

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    One check or two?

3. rsamos

rsamos Member

Aug 20, 2015
    MN
    N00b ignorance here - I thought that a pass always did two checks.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It does. However you can modify an existing 1P scheduled recording and it will change to one check. This might happen if you add end time to one episode.

I'm surprised nobody has asked why SD channels are still checked.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

Uncheck the SD channels that you also have in the HD version in the channels list.

6. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Thus my question. If the SD recording was explicitly selected to record, the 1P will not record it.

7. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Change the One Pass to specify a specific channel that you know is HD. Or do as others have suggested and in your settings channel list mark all SD channels that have an HD feed as "not received". Me, I do both; I really don't want to record any SD.

The reason you have to do this is that "record HD only" depends on the HD flag being set correctly in the metadata for the program, but Tribune Media doesn't provide accurate data for that flag any more. This issue has come up a lot lately.

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I reread your first post and I think I understand what you did. You wrote:

That's not how One Pass creation works. I thought it defaulted to the lowest #'d channel on which the show appears, but it's even dumber than that. It appears to default to the channel that is associated with the first episode in the "Upcoming" list. You must explicitly select the actual channel you want to use.

The good news is that you don't need to start over. Just modify the existing OnePass.

9. MisterWho

MisterWho Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I've discovered the same (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=530829). I've never bothered to delete the SD versions of my channels as I simply choose to ignore them. Anyway, in the past with SeasonPasses and with OnePasses (shortly after their introduction), passes were created on the channel being viewed or the one being selected in the guide. I don't know why they have changed this behavior (I think it's actually a bug introduced with recent additions to OnePass behavior). People are talking about the HD flag not being reliable but I am sure your system as well as mine was accurately flagging the brand new show "Fear the Walking Dead" as HD yet a OnePass defaults to the SD station if attempting to create. Also, I have found Collections are recording SD movies for instance when there are accurately flagged HD versions of the same movies on HD versions of the same channels. I know of no way to specify channels on a Collection and have confirmed that its settings are set to HD when available. Again, I think this is evidence that this is a recently introduced bug.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Once is enough. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10609214#post10609214