One Pass Issue for Baseball Games on Multiple Channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Dubbadown, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Dubbadown

Dubbadown Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

So I'm trying to figure out how to create a One Pass for Giants' baseball games that are on more than one channel but not on all the channels that have MLB Baseball Game as description. Before I could just create multiple Season Passes, for each channel. Now, as far as I can find, with the One Pass, you can either create a One Pass for just one channel, or for all of them. I know I have to be missing something. Tivo can't be this backward where this new, wonderful "One Pass" which is the answer to all our woes would be a step backward? Please tell me how to create a One Pass for multiple (but not all) channels.

2. b-ball-fanatic

b-ball-fanatic Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Northwest
    You could try creating a WishList Search. A careful combination of Keywords seems like it should find & record just Giants games.

3. Dubbadown

Dubbadown Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah I guess I can do that, but then it records pre and post game shows that I don't want. I just don't know why they would take AWAY a capability that an earlier version had. And it seems like an easy fix.

4. b-ball-fanatic

b-ball-fanatic Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Northwest
    With careful title keyword choices, you can narrow it down to the games. The actual games get specific keywords and designations that the "peripheral" stuff doesn't.

• First and foremost, the show title for actual games is always "MLB Baseball." That alone eliminates non-game programming.
    • Then, to narrow it down to your team, the episode title will always contain "San Francisco Giants."
    • The convention for sporting event episode titles is always "Visiting Team at Home Team."

Using this information, include these Title Keywords:
    MLB Baseball
    San Francisco Giants
    at​
    And of course, select Category: Sports: Baseball
    In the recording options, select Auto-record, New only, Keep at most number, Get only in HD = Yes, and time padding if desired.

With those parameters, check "Upcomig" or your To-Do List. I think you'll find that it successfully schedules just the live airings (not replays) of your Giants games.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  5. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN

Advertisements

To eliminate pre and post game shows I use the Category: Sports: Sports Events. It's used to show only the live events.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I suggest you complain to Tivo about this lack of functionality.

Personally, my one major issue that I *thought* I had with the OnePass vs separate SPs is _mostly_ not there.. (I had a bunch of SPs to record shows in SD.. But I can set a OnePass to 'never' record in HD, and I do for a few.. It has goofed once or twice due to bad channel data apparently.. but mostly has sufficed, and I do appreciate some of the enhancements..)

But since it actually sounds like a loss in functionality for you, you should give them DIRECT feedback.. (This site is NOT NOT NOT connected to Tivo.)

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I really don't see how it would be possible to record a particular MLB team's games with a OnePass no matter how it is implemented. A OnePass for "MLB Baseball" is too generic. You can set one on a particular channel that likely doesn't have other MLB Baseball games but there are times where they come on other channels. Recording a particular team wasn't really possible before OnePass. I don't see how this is a loss of functionality in this case.

Like was mentioned, a Wishlist is and has always been the easiest solution for recording a MLB team's games.

8. Dubbadown

Dubbadown Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    That's just not true. Believe me, I've had Tivo for 13 years and I'm about the biggest sports fan there is and I've recorded every Giants and Warrior game for the last 10 years. With Season Passes, I could create a Season Pass for MLB Baseball for each channel the Giants were on. In this case it was the main Comcast Sports Bay Area (720), the secondary Comcast Sports Bay Area Plus for when there was a conflict with Warriors or Sharks Playoff game (780), and then the random games that were on the local NBC affiliate (703). I didn't want to record the A's games on 721 or the ESPN games. This way I was covered on the 3 main channels the Giants were on.

Now, with the new and improved OnePass, I can't do that. I can either pick one channel for MLB Baseball or pick ALL of them. Well I don't want EVERY channel with MLB, just the 3 that have Giants games. Who thinks that is a better way? Yes, I can use a wishlist and I thank everyone who recommended that but I just can't understand why Tivo would take away that functionality. Granted, I haven't played with the OnePass that much, and I can see the value when it comes to streaming shows, but for Sports, to take away the option of channel Season Passes, to me, is ludicrous.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Like I said, you could set up a season pass before on the local sports channel but I don't see that as a good solution (even before OnePass). What did you do when they are on Fox on Saturday? Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN? MLB Playoffs? A wishlist has been the preferable method and I have been doing it for over 10 years. I rarely if ever have had to manage my ToDo list to make sure every game is recording. Also, setting up multiple season passes prevented you from setting a keep limit (at least a reliable one).

10. Dubbadown

Dubbadown Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Correct, yes, I would have to catch if they were on Fox and ESPN and set that up manually. Ok, wishlist it is. But if it starts recording things I don't want, or missing games, I'm coming back here to complain again and you will be forced to hear me!!:D:D:D

11. b-ball-fanatic

b-ball-fanatic Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Northwest
    I don't quite understand your confusion or annoyance. There's always been an easy, effective way to set TiVos to auto-record a particular sports team's games. It's called WishList. It's very efficient....no need to anticipate channels or networks, schedules, etc....it's a set-it-once-and-forget-it solution. It's always worked very well and still does.

You seem to be frustrated that you can't do it a different, more complicated way. But that's just not how you do this particular task on a TiVo. It's like if I were frustrated that I can't get a complicated WishList for certain directors, categories, and channels to reliably record Game of Thrones every Sunday. Well that's not how you do that....I should just be setting a OnePass for Game of Thrones.

There's an easy solution to your request....which was recording all your Giants games. Set it up...enjoy! And go Giants! (Except when they play my M's in June! We shall show no mercy....:p:D)

Edit: Just saw your last post....it'll work! You won't get crap you don't want. :)

12. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    for my one pass wishlist for nba league pass i select keyword boston celtics, catigorey sports basketball record in HD if possible, record new only,keep until i delete add 1 and a half hour extra time . when the list goes into my one pass ii put it at number 1 that way it will record every game,no matter if its on nba league pass channel ,espn,tnt, or abc! the only thing i check everyday during the season is the channel for the nba league pass game,because if they are showing a dual feed of the game i make sure i have the celtics feed instead of the other teams feed because i want to watch the game with my teams announcers.;)

13. b-ball-fanatic

b-ball-fanatic Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Northwest
    That was a very information-filled sentence! :eek:

14. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    This is how I did it even before One Pass. Never missed a game, and only get the game, no pre show etc...

15. tpriddy

tpriddy New Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA
    I thought I had the perfect solution for recording our Giants and A's games with the 2 Season Passes on channels 720 and 721, and I cursed the new OnePass.

I love TiVo Community Forums!

16. Dubbadown

Dubbadown Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Ok, its been a couple days so I wanted to give an update. It seems to be working OK with the wishlist. Although next Saturday's game on 703 wasn't in my To Do list for whatever reason but hopefully it will show up. However, I did notice that the Giants game is one of the Regional games on the MLB Network this week and it was showing up. Now how do I prevent this from Recording? I'm pretty sure it won't be the Giants game due to Blackout restrictions, and even if it is, I would rather just have my local recording on CSN Bay Area. But I don't wan't to hog up a Tuner with a game I'm already recording.

17. b-ball-fanatic

b-ball-fanatic Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Northwest
    This actually adds kind of a fun twist! :)

Okay...here's my experience of MLB Network's scheduling and Guide listings:
    • When they are the exclusive airer of a game, that match-up is listed as the episode title (just like with your regular CSN listings). These games aren't blacked-out, and they aren't available on any other channels in the teams' home markets.
    • When they offer non-exclusive coverage, the episode title is "Regional Coverage" with the possible match-ups in the description. The covered games aren't available in their home markets, in deference to their regular local coverage.

Is this your understanding as well? If these assumptions are right, it seems to me that you'd be safe to exclude all of MLB Network's non-exclusive Giants games....i.e., the ones that have the "Regional Coverage" episode title.*

Here's how you would go about excluding those listings:
    • Go into Modify WishList (your existing Giants WishList)
    • Add & Save the Title Keyword: Regional Coverage
    • After you've saved that Title keyword, highlight it in the list of Saved Title Keywords
    • Hit the Thumbs Down button once....this should put a dash in front of the keyword phrase (this instructs TiVo to exclude it)
    • Save your changes (Make sure that that particular Title keyword has the dash in front of it)

This should cause your TiVo to not record games that are part of MLB Network's non-exclusive regional coverage.

--------
    * As a side note, if you used the previously-discussed keywords as Title keywords, not just regular keywords, you shouldn't actually be pulling in the "Regional Coverage" games anyway. Are you sure it's not an MLB Network exclusive game? Or did you use general keywords?

18. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    I set it up like this for the Mets games, however because I subscribe to MLB Extra Innings, it creates a problem. For some reason, the Wishlist is prioritizing the MLB Extra Innings broadcast over the local channels (SNY, WPIX). This creates two problems: 1) I want the Mets' broadcast always and 2) The Mets' games are blacked out on MLB Extra Innings anyway, because I live in Mets' territory. Any ideas?

19. b-ball-fanatic

b-ball-fanatic Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Northwest
    This is the same as Dubbadown's issue with MLB Network "redundant" broadcasts of his Giants games. Basically, you need to find something specific in the MLB Extra Innings listings that will allow you to add an "exclusion" keyword. (I don't get Extra Innings, so I can't look at the Guide and see how they are presented.)

But let's say, for example, that the phrase "MLB Extra Innings" is in either the title or episode title. As I described in my last post (#17), you could add that phrase as an exclusion and this WishList will not record any of those broadcasts.

20. sangs

sangs Active Member

Jan 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Thank you very much. I'll give that a shot, though honestly a Season Pass on SNY is working fine so far this season. I know the schedule enough to realize when they're playing one of their few games on WPIX - or nationally. I set up the Wishlist per your instructions for Detroit Tigers games (my other favorite team) and it's worked perfectly.