One of 3 Tivo's not on server

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jtreid, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1 of 11
    jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA

Advertisements

I've searched here and at Tivo and cannot find a solution to this problem.

I have 3 S2 Pioneer Tivos. 2 of them can see my server and one of them cannot. The one that cannot can use the network for Tivo and all the other HMO things are listed, just no server. I turned on Photos 2.0 and can now see them on the server, but the server properties do not list that Tivo under access control. On the other 2 Tivos I can see the other Tivo and can share movies, but not on this one. It used to work until something happened.

I recently moved it, but this wasn't working before I moved it.
    I check the MAK and it's there.
    It is listed on my Tivo.com account correctly.
    I recently changed the name and it is correct at tivo.com and on the tivo.
    I upgraded to TivoDesktop 2.4a and no change.
    The old name was showing up in the server, but no longer. I stopped and restarted the TivoBeacon and that seemed to have caused that.
    I can ping it.
    It is listed in my DHCP client list.
    I've tried multiple connects, reboots of the tivo and the server.
    I know the IP addresses and cannot add a server. Whenever I do, it says no server when I select it on the tivo again.
    I manually set the IP address of the tivo and waited 2 days. No change.
    I reserved the IP address for the server in my DHCP server. No change.
    Everything looks right, just no joy.

Please help.

2. Aug 4, 2007 #2 of 11
    jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Anyone? Anyone?

3. Aug 5, 2007 #3 of 11
    worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    All TiVo’s must be on the same account so that they all have the same MAK. Make sure all TiVo’s are on the same network subnet (192.168.1.XXX). Check that each IP address is unique on your network. Make sure allow transfers is enable on TiVo.com under DVR preferences for each of your TiVo’s. Only series 2 TiVo’s allow transfers. Are all your TiVo’s series 2’s?

TiVoToGo™ Troubleshooting

Multi-Room Viewing Troubleshooting

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 11
    jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Yep. I've only ever had one account/MAK and that is the case here. It used to work on this Tivo. I don't know what happened to make it quit.
    Yep! All show up on the DHCP server correctly with the MAC address of each having a unique IP address. I gave the one in question a fixed IP address outside the range of my router's DHCP range to no avail. I can see photos2.0 and I can ping the Tivo. I cannot access the Congrats page, however.
    Yep! All of my series 2's have this enabled with the "a,a,a" under sys info. No change from when it was working.
    I have 4 S2's and one S3. One S2, not connected to the network. The problematic Tivo is an S2 and it used to work. Why would "all" my Tivo's need to be S2's?

Yesterday, I removed the USB adapter and rebooted Tivo. I then added the USB adapter back only to return to the same situation.

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 11
    worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN

Advertisements

You said the other working TiVo's could see each other and were sharing movies. I wasn't sure if the bad TiVo was a S1's or S3's. Only S2's can do TiVo to TiVo transfers. So that's why I stated all TiVo's needed to be S2's. It has nothing to do with TiVo desktop and TiVo to go and the server running on your PC.

What version of the TiVo software is on the TiVo that won’t work? Are all your TiVo’s updated with the latest software version? Just a long shot suggestion; try plugging your USB adapter into the other USB port on the TiVo. Maybe the TiVo has a bad port.

I have no other suggestions, you've got a good handle on things and it’s obvious you know what you’re doing. I can’t see anything you’re doing wrong.

I’m curious on what the solutions is, post back when you get it working.

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 11
    kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Can you access the "suspect" Tivo via the https web interface?

Ping uses ICMP protocol and HTTP uses TCP protocol. This may give some insight into what's happening. I know that Tivos use multicast DNS messages to discover each other. Double check your netmask on all boxes to make sure they are correct. Ping may work with an incorrect netmask but HTTP and MDNS (TCP) will not.

MDNS Standard query ANY Now Playing on ._tivo_videos._tcp.local, "QM" question ANY Now Playing on ._tivo-videos._tcp.local, "QM" question ANY _http._tcp.local, "QM" question ANY DVR-6C44.local, "QM" question

7. Aug 7, 2007 #7 of 11
    jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    I guess I never gave it much thought, but that is interesting to know that the tivo-to-tivo is more of a pier-to-pier and no server is necessary. So that seems to indicate that it has nothing to do with the PC software and is strictly network related.....some how.

They all have the latest software 8.3.something (they are all the same).

You know, I saw that suggestion in another post and attempted to do this reaching around the back. It didn't feel like there was another USB port (over/under) on the pioneer, but I couldn't see. I just plugged it back where it was. I'll give this some more attention, but if the tivo can phone home over the network, I'm not sure this could be the case.

I most definitely will.

8. Aug 7, 2007 #8 of 11
    jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    NO. I cannot access via http or https. It just times out.

I'm pretty sure they are all 255.255.255.0 as I have never changed them. However, this problem seems to point to a subnet problem of some sort. I'll recheck; maybe change it and change it back to see if it is confused.

I have no idea what this means. Please elaborate.

9. Aug 7, 2007 #9 of 11
    kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Make sure you use the following URL just to be sure:

https://"your_tivo_ip"/nowplaying/index.html

If that doesn't work I'm pretty sure you have a network problem on the suspect Tivo.

Just to cover all bases, try to access your two working Tivos using the web interface to make sure they work OK.

Oops, Ignore the junk on the bottom of my previous post. That was the cut/paste buffer from my network sniffer trace and wasn't supposed to be attached.

Ken

10. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    OK! DID NOT DO THIS.

Tonight I took my daughter to bed, tucked her in and said goodnight. She said why are you turning the TV on. Well, I was just chicking. As it turns out, I did remove the USB adapter and rebooted tivo. I did NOT reattach the USB adapter. I found this out when I went to check the network settings and the "stupid" tivo told me that if I wanted to use the network that "stupid" me needed to attach a network adapter. Well.....I did that. Within about a minute, it saw my wireless network. I then went through the network setup and still chose a fixed IP just to be safe. The subnet was 255.255.255.0. I fugured, what the heck, let it go. The tivo came back and the network was good.

Around 2 hours later, I was working on the season pass manager on my S3 (GOD IT IS SLOW) and decided to go to the PC and check for the AWOL tivo on the server. Low and behold....IT IS THERE!!!

I guess the trick of rebooting without a network adapter and then adding it after the reboot is the key. I didn't change anything after the addition of the adapter, just clicked (SELECT) through the current settings.

CONFUSION say start all over when something doesn't make sense!

11. kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    That'll definitely keep your network connection from working. :)

Glad you got it working.

Ken