One HDMI input, which to chose?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by BigOakTopher, Jan 20, 2006.

1. BigOakTopher

BigOakTopher New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    I ordered a new HDTV & upgraded to a HD DirecTV with Tivo & an upconvert DVD player. The TV has 1 HDMI input & 2 component inputs. I have all the sound running through a surroundsound system, so I don't care that the HDMI also includes sound. For pure picture quality reasons, am I better off using the HDMI for the DVD player or the DirecTV box?

I'm leaning towards using the HDMI cable that came with the Tivo on the DVD player, then buying some medium-priced component cables to use with the Tivo.

Thanks!

2. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    I would be driven by how much I used the source -- and use the HDMI on the one I used most.

Michael

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    You can also buy automatic HDMI/DVI switch boxes that would allow you to connect both devices. Check out http://www.valueelectronics.com. They're not cheap, though.

4. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I would personally prefer to save my single HDMI input for the item that takes the most advantage of it, and that would be the HDTV tuner. The programming on that is broadcast at true HiDef resolution.

OTOH your upconverting player is taking existing 480i programming, and processing it so that it appears to be 1080i. However, your existing HDTV is also capable of doing the same thing internally.

5. BigOakTopher

BigOakTopher New Member

Jan 20, 2006
    That's a good point. I was thinking the DVD because I wanted movies to look their best & most of DirecTV is not in HD. The TV gets delivered tomorrow morning, so it looks like I'll just play around with it a lot & see what I like.

Thanks for the suggestion on the switchbox, though it's definitely costly.