One Harmony remote, two or more TiVos

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mlsnyc, Sep 17, 2016.

1. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009

Advertisements

I wanted to post instructions on how to set up a Harmony remote to control two TiVos independently -- i.e. if you were watching TiVo A, it shouldn't be controlling TiVo B and vice versa. I did find similar articles when I searched this forum, other forums, and the web, but they were written years ago for the older software used to manage Harmony remotes and weren't applicable to the latest version, MyHarmony.

You will need your original TiVo remotes. FYI I have a Harmony One, Roamio Pro, and Series 3 HD.

First, you need to program each TiVo so it receives its IR signals from different remote addresses. For example, program the Roamio Pro so that its remote's address is 1 and the HD so its address is 2. Complete instructions can be found at: https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Controlling-2-TiVo-DVRs-with-Separate-Remotes
    IMPORTANT: If you have a TiVo Slide remote and you remove the USB receiver, its remote address will be set to 0. A remote that has an address of 0 can control any TiVo DVR within its range. If you have two TiVo DVRs in the same room, make sure the USB receiver for the Slide remote is always installed in the USB port of the DVR that you want to control with it.

To control two TiVo DVRs with separate remotes
    1. Cover the IR window of the second DVR. To identify where this area is located watch your DVR when you push a button on your remote. An amber light will flash, indicating the area you will need to cover.
    2. Make sure both remotes are in IR Mode:
      • To enter IR mode, press and hold the TiVo+Red C buttons until the activity indicator on the remote control lights. The remote remains in IR mode until you manually put the remote into RF mode (see: TiVo Remotes: RF Pairing Instructions.
    3. Using one of the TiVo remotes, navigate to the System Information screen:

BOLTS Series UES's
      From TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Help > Account and System Info > System Information

Roamio Series and Premiere Series DVRs and TiVo Mini
      From TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account and System Info > System Information

Series3 and earlier DVRs
      From TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Account and System Information > System Information

Once at the System Information screen, scroll down by pressing the Chan Down button until you see Remote Address.
    1. Hold down the TiVo+Pause buttons for 5 seconds, until the red LED on the remote lights up.
    2. Use the number keys to enter any digit from 1–9 (1–3 on a Sony). We recommend entering a 1. The remote LED will flash, but the screen will not update.
    3. Press the Right Arrow to send the code to the DVR. You should see the digit you entered on the screen. You have now programmed this remote control and this DVR to operate on channel 1. You might want to label this remote so you remember which DVR it controls.
    4. Press the TiVo button to return to TiVo Central.
    5. Cover the IR window of the first DVR, and uncover the second one. Use the other TiVo remote to navigate to the System Information screen of the second DVR and scroll down until you see Remote Address.
    6. Hold down the Pause+TiVo buttons for 5 seconds, until the red LED on the remote lights up.
    7. Use the number keys to enter any digit from 1–9 (1–3 on a Sony) except the number you entered on the first DVR. We recommend entering a 2. The remote LED will flash.
    8. Press the Right Arrow to send the code to the DVR. You should see the digit on the screen. Press the TiVo button to return to TiVo Central. You might want to label this remote so you remember which DVR it controls.
    You have now programmed both DVRs and both remotes to respond to a different code.

NOTE: To prevent a remote address from changing accidentally, do not leave either DVR on the System Information screen.

Then, have the Harmony remote re-learn the IR version of each TiVo remote. Instructions: Multiple IR Versions
    If your device has multiple device versions then myharmony.com should display an information (i) icon above the device. We recommend you click on Show Details to see instructions specific to your device.

[​IMG]
    (recommended) Some devices can switch their IR language/device version from a settings menu or a physical switch on the back of the device.

Other devices cannot switch their IR language/device version and you must teach a command from your original manufacturer's remote so Harmony may learn what to send.
    1. Sign in to your account on myharmony.com.
    2. Select your remote from the gallery.
    3. Select the Devices tab on the left side of the screen.
    4. Select the device for which you would like to change the IR language/device version.
    5. Select Change Device Settings.
    [​IMG]
    1. Select Device version and press Next
    The Device Versions menu item will only appear if your device has multiple IR languages/device versions.

If this menu does not appear then this may not be a device with multiple IR languages/device versions. You may still teach Harmony any required commands. Refer to this support article: Add or fix a command on your Harmony Remote.

[​IMG]
    1. In order for Harmony to learn which of the other IR languages/device versions your device uses, you must teach a command from the original, manufacturer's remote. Select Yes to proceed.
    2. Using the USB cable that came with your Harmony remote, connect it to your computer.
    Harmony 600/650/700
    [​IMG]
    Harmony Ultimate, Ultimate One
    or Touch[​IMG]
    Harmony Hub
    [​IMG]
    1. Point the tip of your devices original remote control at the IR input sensor on your Harmony remote or hub as instructed by the screen animation. The remotes should be approximately 3 inches (8 cm) apart.
      • The Harmony 600/650/700 IR input sensor is located at the top of the Harmony remote.
      • The Harmony Touch & Harmony Ultimate IR input sensor is on the back.
      • The Harmony Hub IR input sensor is on the front/ top.
    Harmony 600/650/700
    [​IMG]
    Harmony Ultimate, Ultimate One
    or Touch[​IMG]
    Harmony Hub
    [​IMG]
    1. You will be instructed to teach up to 3 commands from your original, manufacturer's remote control. Hold the button on your original remote for 1 to 2 seconds.
    2. Repeat as instructed.
    [​IMG]
    1. Once complete, Harmony will now know which IR language your device responds to and will send that device version.
    2. Remember to sync your remote after making any changes.

That's all it took for me. Hope this helps if you're having the same problem.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    krkaufman and skaggs like this.
  2. May 9, 2017 #2 of 32
    skaggs

skaggs AlbanyHDTV

Feb 13, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Thanks for posting the links.

I typed, "two tivos harmony" in the TCF search box and yours was the first thread that came up.

I followed the linked instructions and now my Harmony remote controls my Roamio and Bolt seperately, even though they are located in the same cabinet.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. mlsnyc

Dec 2, 2009
    Glad it helped. I know it's helped me a couple of times now. I updated the post to have a local copy of the instructions. I realized that if the links break then the instructions are pointless.

krkaufman likes this.
  4. May 7, 2018 #4 of 32
    sheriff888

sheriff888 New Member

May 30, 2016
    USA
    Works great for two TiVos. Doesn't help for a third TiVo. The third TiVo continues to act as TiVo code zero, even after the procedure above completes with a message of success. Any chance to have TiVo code set three added to the Harmony database?

5. May 7, 2018 #5 of 32
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Advertisements

All TiVo's ALWAYS respond to Address Zero. You need to change the 3rd TiVo to Address 3.

-KP

6. May 7, 2018 #6 of 32
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The reason all Tivo's respond to zero lies in the structure of the signal. Every Tivo signal starts with 3 bytes we call a header. The first half (most significant nybble) of the 3rd byte in the header represents the address. For address zero, all 4 bits of this nybble are true. So any Tivo set to any address is looking for either all address bits to be true, or just the bits that match the configured address. They probably do this as a fail-safe, so no matter what address, your Tivo won't be left in an uncontrollable state.

I think I've seen someone post that all 9 addresses are in the Harmony database. But even if they aren't, it's a simple matter to add them. On the other hand, if you have a JP1 remote, all you have to do is pick the address from a dropdown list and that changes every command to the selected address, no learning of any commands is required.

7. May 7, 2018 #7 of 32
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes. All addresses should be there. Many years ago when I first got a couple of Harmony One remotes, I had them setup to use all nine different TiVo remote codes, for all the TiVos I used to have.

8. Mar 2, 2019 #8 of 32
    hybucket

hybucket Member

Nov 26, 2004
    To update (and clarify for me...), are all Harmony (now called Logitech, I assume) remotes able to control two separate TiVOs in the same area? I have a really old Philips remote that worked with two separate TiVO codes, but it's on its last legs, and I'd like to find another. I believe I had to set the TiVO itself for two separate remote codes, and then set the remote for that code. Thx.

9. Mar 2, 2019 #9 of 32
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    All with the possible exception of the 350 and its predecessors (300, 200, etc.) only because of their more limited number of devices and activities.

But you don’t need a Harmony necessarily. I’ve programmed many cheap ($15) JP1 remotes to control 9 TiVos in the same room with the touch of a button.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  10. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    I am GREATLY in need of wanting multiple, programmable remotes, that will control multiple Tivos, & other (sat/cable) DVR's simultaneously...so that I can keep just 1 identical remote in each TV room, that controls ALL the above DVR's. I've looked over all those Harmony remotes & they really don't do a thing for me, as I do NOT want or need an "activity based" one. I know you've made posts on those cheap, JP1 remotes before; could you please post a couple links that might give me info on those JP1 remotes?

11. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Most of this still applies:
    Tivo remote to change inputs on A/V receiver?

Here's where I programmed an RCA RCRP05B for another member to control 9 Tivos:
    Can Harmony Elite Remote control up to 8 running Tivo's

Sounds like you don't actually need multiple addresses, so you have more and simpler options, like the OARUSB04G or Inteset INT-422, that would be easier to program.

I think your overall approach is a bad idea. While technically do-able, using an identically programmed remote in each room takes your device requirement from maybe 3 up to dozens with complex macros required to select the appropriate set of devices for a given room. Just dedicate a remote to each room and give it the appropriate programming for what it needs to control. Otherwise, even though you say you don't want or need activities, there is no way to make a remote programmed to control EVERYTHING in your house function without some pretty complex programming that does what "activity" macros do anyway.

To illustrate, how do you see yourself telling the remote in bedroom 5 that it needs to control TV number 5, sat box number 5 and setup macro group 5? And how are other members of your household going to remember which macro to run in which room before the remote will work with that group of devices? Wouldn't it be easier just to pick up the remote in that room and not have to do anything special?

kpeters59 likes this.
  12. dishrich

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Actually I do, as I have 3 Tivo's, that work on different signal sources. (Roamio Pro on cable & 2 Roamio's on 2 different antennas for 2 different TV markets)

Let me clarify how my setup works, as my setup is NOT like most other users here. I have an 8x8 HD-BaseT matrix switcher, that ALL of my signal sources feed into. (the 3 Tivo's above, plus a DISH, DirecTV & Comcast box, along with a Roku that's IR capable) ALL of my sources & switcher, are all located in a rack in the basement. The switcher actually has BOTH an HD-BaseT AND standard HDMI output on each destination, so I simultaneously send signals out to 16 destinations. To control what goes where, it has it's own IR remote to either switch an individual source to an individual destination...or I can tell it to send the same source, to ALL destinations at once. (which I do most of the time, as I'm single :D ) The switcher ALSO does IR routing from each room, to whatever source is selected for that given room...so because all the Tivo's are stacked together, obviously I've switched each one to a unique IR code.

To clarify...of course each room does NOT need to control ALL my TV's in the house...I was speaking more specifically of being able to control ALL of my sources on the same remote(s), since as I've already explained above, ALL my sources are available at ALL my TV's. The remote in each room would obviously ONLY need to control that (single) TV in said room. They WOULD, however, need to be able to learn the IR codes from my matrix switcher, so that I would not have to use the one that came with it. (& no, I really do NOT need a macro to switch the switcher...it should be as easy as putting the remote on "switcher mode", press a couple of appropriate buttons to switch to the source I am wanting in that room, then switch the remote back to said source (Tivo, DISH, etc.) to watch TV...seems like it would be pretty easy to program into a programmable remote, no???)

As I clarified above, that remote would ONLY control the TV in that bedroom. As far as the signal source, I would do what I already described in switching to a source, then switching the remote to said source...again, I don't see why this really needs to be more complicated with "macros"?

I ALREADY have my sources memorized, & there's nobody else around to care. ;)

Does this make more sense now??? All I'm really trying to do, is have a few (like maybe around 4-5) programmable IR remotes, that I can put 1 in each room & leave...so that I do NOT have to have (literally) a drawer-full of remotes for EACH source, in (most) rooms. (I actually could even get by with fewer programmable remotes, as right now I'll usually grab a remote from the living room & take into the kitchen, for whatever source I'm viewing in there, at the time, as an example...since the kitchen is only a few feet off the living room...)

13. dishrich

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    (wanted to answer this portion separately)

I look these posts over...that OARUSB04G definitely looks out of the question for my needs. The Inteset INT-422 looks interesting, but again, looks like it's kind of limiting for what I'm really needing.
    Interestingly enough, I have TWO of the RCA RCRP05BR laying around here as we speak. I actually bought them back to see how well they worked with the legacy Comcast DVR's...they worked well, but obviously I never got into the JP1 programming aspect of them; perhaps I should look into that further, as they are nice remotes for the money...but that's assuming I can acquire some more of them.

Actually those Nevo remotes ARE probably exactly what I'm looking for...unfortunately, since they obviously are no longer made, I'm concerned about their lifespan &/or (no) support from the manufacturer. But short of either going with a Harmony (last resort) or doing a "work-around" to get some of the "pro-installer" remotes from Universal Electronics, (& I've seem all the issues trying to do THAT!) the Nevo's may be the more practical choice at this point. :(

14. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I've been in the dog house ever since my wife found my stash of 20 Nevos the other day, most of which appear to be mint. Maybe we can work something out. Of course you'll get no support from the manufacturer, but you'll get plenty from the JP1 community. We've probably put more effort into supporting Nevo than any other JP1 remote in history. Full disclosure, and the reason I bought so many is that the buttons wear out after about 4 years. Even so, my current supply will last me 80 years, which is far longer than I will last.

Keep in mind when considering the other models I mentioned, with JP1 software, they can do way more than their specs say. The OAR for example can handle 12 devices and activities (or unlimited devices if you multiples), and you can put 5 functions on every button (short press, long press, double press, shifted and double shifted). Similar story for the RCA and Inteset, 8 devices each plus all the other goodies that come with JP1 software.

Thanks for the clarification on your system. Makes much more sense now. While Nevo and all the other remotes I mentioned can of course learn all your devices, that's not how we like to do things in the JP1 world. We prefer to build devices using protocol parameters so the signals are always perfect and identical to the originals (better than imperfect learns) and take up far less memory and can be ported to any other remote and shared with other users and even loaded into slingboxes.

The way I would program a Nevo for your system would be to add all the matrix commands to every device so it would be at your fingertips no matter what you were controlling, and/or I'd make an "activity" macro for every source. Makes for a lot fewer button presses and automatically gives you control of the device you switch to. If you don't use activities, then you'd have to select the device you want to control manually. I'd also give the matrix commands friendly names like "Tivo 3 to Den", "Dish to MBR", etc.

The way I'd program the other remotes I mentioned would be to put the matrix on long presses of the number keys and also add some macro steps to switch the remote to control the selected device. So for room 3, for example, long press of the 5 button would go to input 5, output 3, then all the buttons would control device 5 and do volume punch thru for any AVRs or soundbars you might have in that room.

Edmund and krkaufman like this.
  15. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Mdavej, can nevo remotes still control older DirecTV RF receivers directly via RF?

16. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes, the Touch and C3 can control models before Genie directly via RF.

17. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Thanks. No matter how I searched I couldn't find out how to change IR code sets on the tivo website.

18. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    That's one heck of a setup! What do you need all those TV sources for? Couldn't you use the same IR code for all 3 TiVos and use the little stick-on IR emitters so that the matrix does the routing, and only the appropriate TiVos gets the signals? That really does sound like something that is meant to be controlled through a home automation system using IP control of the matrix and devices, but those are $$$.

19. mlsnyc

Dec 2, 2009
    Something's gone wonky and my own instructions don't work for me anymore. Both my TiVos are now switching their configured remote address to be whatever remote I'm using.

So if TiVo A is set to address 1 and TiVo B is set to address 2, if I use the remote for TiVo B, TiVo A switches to use address 2. That means the remote for TiVo B is now controlling both TiVos. The same will happen with the remote for TiVo A -- TiVo B will switch its address to 1 and the remote for TiVo A will now control both TiVos.

I did have both TiVos on TE4 for almost a year then downgraded one to TE3 a couple of days ago. That definitely caused this problem because everything had been working fine before then. I just don't know how and what to do to fix it, or if it can be fixed at all. All I know is it's aggravating.

20. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Probably not.

Reset your remotes for TiVo Address' 1 & 2. Or whichever address' they're supposed to be using.

Check the TiVo Settings to confirm they're set for the correct address'.

All TiVo's will ALWAYS respond to Address 0.

-KP