One For All URC8820 Alternative

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jtreid, Feb 15, 2012.

1. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA

Advertisements

So it appears that One For All has discontinued my favorite universal remote the URC8820 8-device learning remote. I loved the operation, durability (many knocks off the arm of the couch and liquid spills), versatility, functionality and simplicity of this remote . I've spent several hours looking for a comparable alternative to no avail. My original advice to buy this remote came from this forum so I am, again, looking to the forum for a suitable replacement under $20 like this remote was. Suggestions???

2. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    You might check out the JP-1 Forum. You might be able to get a URC8820 in there Market Place.

I picked up some URC 6131nwB00 remotes which are similar a few years ago which I really like. These were modified versions which I can use the JP-1 hardware/software to program to do anything I want.

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I have a box of JP1 remotes in the closet, I decided to switch to Logitech Harmony in 2009 and haven't looked back. If you want me to check, I will, and I think I do have an 8820. UEI makes good remote controls, powerful and inexpensive.

4. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Well, the store is closed. Besides, I they were selling them for $30. I used to get them from Amazon for like $11.

5. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA

Advertisements

Thanks, but I'll keep looking around. UEI is the maker of One For All and yes, they do make pretty impressive remotes for cheap. I just don't need anything more complicated than the 8820 was. Their newer designs are not attractive to me.

6. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    Does it have to control 8 devices? I've been having good luck with this one, which does 7:

7. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    That's a nice looking remote. I like that it's back lit. Actually, I could do with 7, but my Panny plasma has a different off code than on code so when in TV mode the power button does the power on code and the Aux mode does the power off code. This let's me program my M1 macro to turn the receiver on, then TV and then select DVR mode. My M2 macro turns off the receiver and TV. It's a work around at best and I could probably use a unused button in TV mode to learn the power off code in a pinch. I'll keep this remote in mind. Thanks.

8. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    It does have dedicated "On" and "All Off" buttons, so it might be able to do what you need it to with the different codes.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I just bought one of those, because on another thread around here it was said to be able to handle more than one TiVo in the same room.

Later found another post saying that it was some other earlier version of the 8820 that could do that and that the most recent version, the 8820n, didn't have that capability. Guess which one I got?:(