One crazy setup, 11 TV's, and one question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Solman, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Solman

Solman Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Diamond Bar, Ca
    I currently have Time Warner and am considering a move to Fios. My question is can I do what I do now with cable. Without a lengthy explanation of my setup, I will just mention that I am using 2 Tivo series 3 and 1 series 2, 2 cable amplifiers, and a lot of splitters. TV's are in each of the 4 bedrooms, in the garage, workshop, bathroom, office, living room, and 2 in the back yard. Every TV has a choice of either of the series 3 tivos, a DVD changer, or straight cable, thanks to a 4-way switch box. To give you a sample of that: my garage TV has a choice of those 4 inputs. That signal from the switchbox goes to almost all TV's-the exceptions are my living room TV can see any input separate from the switchbox as can my sons room, and my wifes sewing room. In other words those 3 rooms are independent of the switchbox and the other 8 TVs will watch whatever is selected on the switchbox. This system works well given there are only 3 of us living in the house. Also the 11th TV is in the backyard and gets its programming from the series 2 tivo via MVR from the series 3 tivos (no cable available). The 2nd backyard tv gets its shows from the switchbox.

I am very happy with my setup but timewarner is expensive and I am now considering fios. Can this system be done with fios? To give you an example of my garage tv--The signal comes in and is split with the internet-it is then split to go to tivo (&amplified) and comes out to a switchbox and is amplified a second time, BTW, all tvs have a great picture. Comments, please?

2. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I dont see why you cant just replace the Timewarner signal with the fios cable signal.

3. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    You should be able to do what you want on FiOS (lucky you). But, they use a technology called MoCA to connect to set top boxes, including TiVos, and I believe it is limited to 8 devices. There is a workaround, but I suggest you post your question on the FIos forum. There are very knowledgeablefolks there that can help you:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

4. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I think the real question is, does FIOS provide any analog channels?
    Because I think that's what you mean by "straight cable" as one of your 4 choices at each TV.
    Are all your TV's running regular analog or are some getting HDMI and/or component video?

In my house, I have a modulator that I use to put the 2nd-zone output of my AV amp onto an unused analog cable channel and inject it before all the splitters that feed every room in the house. I have just one TiVo in the living room that serves up HD to that TV, and everything else is NTSC analog. This works since every TV but the one in the living room is small and you don't notice the drop in picture quality, but if that changes I'd want to do something a bit different.

5. Solman

Solman Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Diamond Bar, Ca
    Two TV's are running HD-all others are analog. My concern (or hope) is that I can just replace my main cable input with that of fios along with new cable cards and I'll be set. Yes or no?

6. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I don't have FIOS, but as far as I can tell, every TV needs a cablecard or a set-top since it's pure digital. Or if you never use the "straight cable" choice on a TV than it doesn't need anything extra.

7. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    You are correct! Fios requires either a converter, cable card, or set top box for EVERY TV connected, assuming of course you want independant channel selection at every TV.

NO STRAIGHT THRU CABLE is available at all, no clear QUAM either.

8. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    FIOS is all digital. You won't have the option to use straight cable at any location nor will you be able to use the S2 Tivo without a cable box.

At the risk of being flamed, I'm going to offer you another option. You could replace all of your Tivos with a Windows 7 Media Center PC, a Ceton InfiniTV 4 cablecard tuner (currently $299), and Windows media extenders located at each TV. Windows Media Center can record all of your FIOS channels you subscribe to via the Ceton tuner. WMC is included with every version of Windows 7 except Home Basic. With media extenders connected to the main WMC PC via a home network, you can watch live TV via the tuner or any shows that have been recorded. The InfiniTV4 has four digital tuners and can record up to four shows at once. The best part is you have no monthly service fees and only a single cablecard rental, plus whatever programming package you get with FIOS. With switches at each TV, you'll still have the option of selecting either the WMC PC via the extender or your DVD changer. The X-Box 360 is the only media extender currently being sold but there are models from Linksys, HP, and D-Link that show up on ebay all the time.

Windows Media Center has a four tuner limit by default for each type of compatible tuner (digital cable, QAM, or ATSC). There's an app called Tuner Salad that allows you to increase the number of tuners to whatever you want. You could install two Ceton InfiniTV4's for a total of eight digital tuners. There are other similar cablecard tuners offered by Hauppauge (dual tuner model for $129) and SiliconDust (3 and 6-tuner models @ $250 and $500, respectively). Ceton will also be offering a 6-tuner internal PCI-E model and a 4-tuner USB version sometime in the near future, but release dates and prices have not yet been set. Both models only require a single cablecard. The 6-tuner SiliconDust model requires two cablecards and is basically two of the 3-tuner boxes in a single chassis.

FYI - I've been using the InfiniTV4 on FIOS for almost a year now and absolutely love it. No more Tivo fees and only one cablecard. If you want more info I can point you to several Home Theater PC forums as well as a good site for tweaks and tips to get the most out of your WMC PC.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    In my area (New England) Verizon most certainly DOES give Clear QAM over the wire.

10. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Well, I just checked, and down here in Tampa, there ain't nothing on unless you have a "Box" connected, so I guess it's a local thingee with Verizon!

11. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    It's only a matter of time before that goes away. FIOS has gone to all digital in most areas of the country. They've eliminated virtually all analog channels that are available via clear QAM on most of their networks.

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I didn't say anything about analog channels being available, I said ClearQAM, those are the local HD feeds, this would be "all digital"

13. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Fios provides the local stations in the clear, no box needed. Beyond that, an STB or cablecard device will be needed.

The standard definition digital adapters are fairly small though. They fit in my bedroom and kitchen easily.

14. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    All I know is that if I hook up my cable directly to my TV...................I get NOTHING but static here in Tampa with Fios.

If I put their box in (digital adapter about the size of a modem), I get everything.

15. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    MoCA can be used to interconnect the TiVos, but it does not have to be. The FIOS network can just drop in as a direct replacement for the TW network. He can also get fancier, if he chooses, but it is not required.

16. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    If I may be so bold, you might consider simplifying things a bit - not to mention maing them faster, more stable, and easier, by ripping all the DVDs to a NAS or file server, eliminating the klunky DVD changer. Even if you have a 400 Disc changer and it is completely full of DVDs, all those disks will easily fit on a 2T NAS or file server. If you run pyTivo and vidmgr on the NAS or server, you will have a single, really slick solution for watching both DVDs and pre-recorded videos, plus any videos you might want to archive to the server, all from a single, easy to use, attractive interface, all with one remote and no switch boxes.

17. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    If you are getting "static", then you must have an analog TV.

18. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    This is fasle. The locals are all clear QAM.

19. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Sorry, I missed that. No, analog is dead as a doornail. Possibly as early as next year TWCable will also stop broadcasting analog channels.

20. Solman

Solman Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Diamond Bar, Ca
    To make this easier to understand: Assume I have my Tivo series 3 (with cable cards) split 4 ways to 4 TV's. My output on Tivo goes to each of my 4 TV's. This system works fine with cable-will it with FIOS? My LR TV has a direct line and carries HD fine and is NOT one of the 4 TV's. My other option is to just negotiate a better deal with TW, since they know they have competition. It would certainly be less work.

The Computer set-up sounds great if I were not inept with computers. My DVD changers are actually 2 Pioneers (301 disc) daisychained together with a capacity of 601 discs of which I currently fill 450 slots. I know its old tech, but I love the set-up. I have a laminated listing of all dvd's and you find the one you want and press search and the number of the dvd and its a go. My collection includes home movies as well as music videos, but mostly movies and TV show collections. All my jewel cases are stored in a box in the attic while the covers are in a notebook (in order) where details of each DVD can be accessed.