One channel (G4) has no audio/video, messes up CableCARDs (Comcast, Howard Co., MD)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Brainiac 5, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Dec 9, 2006 #1 of 56
    Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...

Advertisements

I'm having a problem with a specific channel on my S3 and am wondering if anyone has seen anything similar.

I have Comcast in Howard County, MD, and there is one channel, G4 (channel 68 here) for which I do not get any audio/video - I just get a blank screen. What's more, if I leave the TiVo tuned to that channel for a minute or two, the CableCARD "gives up" and stops being able to decrypt ANYTHING (its status screen reports "CP Failure"). This can be fixed (until I tune that channel again) by rebooting the TiVo.

Has anyone else had anything like this?

Can anyone in Howard County, MD confirm that they do or do not receive G4?

Comcast has no idea what the problem is, but now I'm wondering if it's a TiVo problem, or maybe something that would take both Comcast and TiVo to solve. It doesn't help that the Comcast techs who've come steadfastly refuse to try a CableCARD in another device to see if it does the same thing (my TV, something they own, whatever). I'm not sure why they'd give up an opportunity to pass the buck to TiVo...

2. Dec 9, 2006 #2 of 56
    GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    I can receive it just fine down the road (but across the county line) in Odenton. Not sure how much that helps.

3. Dec 9, 2006 #3 of 56
    SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    Have you tried going into the cablecard settings menu and 'test channels' to see if it occurs on both cablecards? That would be a big clue.

4. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    Yes, it does occur on both CableCARDs.

5. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio

Advertisements

I never heard of the channel, but I know I can receive it as TiVo has recorded some things for me on it. TiVo left it on the channel and there was sound and vision.

The one channel I don't get is Hallmark. I get a signal (94) but no picture or sound. And I just don't care to do anything about it since I hardly ever even look at it.

6. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    In a long conversation with a guy at Tivo, he told me that one of the bugs fixed in 8.1 was around channels with no sound. The current firmware was selecting the wrong audio program for some channels and ending up with no sound. This could be the problem being seen by the OP on G4.

7. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    I hope so, if it's not too long before we get 8.1! The fact that the problem puts the CableCARD into a non-working state until I reboot seems different, though. :(

But it does sound like a possibility.

8. FL-Larry

FL-Larry New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Oviedo, FL
    I don't have a problem with the sound, but G4 is the only channel in my cable lineup that has the no copy flag set. So when Tivo does record a show from G4 it deletes automatically after 3 hours.

9. chsscgas

chsscgas Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I have the same problem with the G4 channel in Charleston, SC. No video or audio but it doesn't cause my S3 to crazy.

10. ldc3000

ldc3000 Member

Jun 24, 2004
    NC
    This has been a problem from the beginning. There are several channels that aren't receiving sound. There were several threads talking about the issue

11. toddinmd

toddinmd New Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Brian,
    I'm in howard county and have the same thing going on. If I reboot the tivo it's fine. This doesn't happen on any other channels.

Todd

12. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    I think this is a different problem. I know there have been threads about the "no audio on certain channels" issue, but have any of the discussions mentioned the other symptoms I described?

13. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    Very interesting, thanks for the post! The fact that there are at least two of us sounds like a big clue. Now I'll have something more to tell Comcast the next time I talk to them.

14. mkinzie

mkinzie New Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Hey, Thanks! I'm in Ellicott City and I've been having the problem where a bunch of my channels go blank and I have either "CP Failure" or "Waiting for CP Auth". This is a big clue for me because I just tried it, and sure enough, tuning to G4 causes the problem. After I've been on G4 (which is blank) for a few seconds, all channels below G4 (68 and lower) are blank except for over the air broadcast channels like channel 4.

Someone else said that in their area G4 is the only channel that has the "no copy" flag set. That may be another clue, but I can't find how you check for that.

Every couple of days these channels have been going blank on me. Usually I find out when I tune to the Weather Channel on 60 and it's blank, or the TiVo's recorded a channel that was blank and when you try to play the recorded show it just seems to freeze. Maybe it's because at some point the TiVo recorded a G4 show as one of it's suggestions. As an attempt to work around this I may just take G4 out of my channel line-up. But I hope we can trace this down a little further (maybe to the no-copy flag?) and hopefully get a real fix for it.

Thanks again!

15. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    Mkinzie - thanks for the post! The fact that the same thing is happening to you and toddinmd is a big clue for me, too. It really does sound like there's something wrong with, or at least different about, that channel in our area. I'll definitely follow up with Comcast and/or TiVo and pass the information on to them.

If anyone else in this area is having the same problem, please do post at least a "me too," so we'll have more ammunition when talking to Comcast.

By the way, I also tried taking channel 68 out of my lineup. That worked, with one caveat. Due to an apparent bug in the S3, it sometimes forgets what channels you've unchecked in your lineup (they mysteriously appear checked again). I'm not sure what other circumstances cause this, but rebooting my S3 causes the channels I've unchecked to become checked again every time. Needless to say, this is a problem when trying to keep 68 unchecked so that TiVo won't try to record from it. :(

16. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    I talked to TiVo today - I had been working only on Comcast up to this point. Unfortunately, they said they thought it could be the CableCARDs and that I should swap them for new ones. Of course, this would mean waiting for Comast to come and "install" them...

To me, the idea that there's something wrong with the CableCARDs defies common sense - BOTH CableCARDs have this odd problem? And so do toddinmd's and mkinzie's? It seems clear that something Comcast is doing on this channel does not play nicely with the S3. I'm hoping to get Comcast and TiVo talking to each other about this, but did not succeed with this call to TiVo. :(

Well, I'll keep at it...

17. Espo

Espo New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Columbia,MD
    I live in Columbia & have this same problem using Comcast Digital with CC cards. I had the cards installed a few weeks ago & never have been able to get G4TV. I also have the problem of 1 or both cards failing after a few days for no reason (without tuning to G4). A reboot will fix this for some reason. I've tried calling Comcast & had a few visits but the "techs" had the same result as a reboot. I also experience a lot of the audio dropouts followed by a picture breakup that some have discussed. Is this unique to Comcast Digital?

18. Brainiac 5

Brainiac 5 New Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Columbia,...
    Is it possible that the TiVo tried to record a suggestion on G4? It took me quite some time to figure out that G4 was causing the CableCARD failures, because I wasn't watching anything on that channel, but I eventually realized that the CableCARDs were failing when trying to record suggestions on it.

One way to see if this is happening (and improve the situation considerably) is to uncheck G4 in your channel list in the S3's settings. If G4 is the problem, then the CableCARDs should not fail again unless and until the S3 decides to add that channel back into your list by itself (which unfortunately seems to be a bug that my S3 exhibits).

I share your pain, I've had five tech visits so far with no results.

Someone correct me if this isn't true, but unfortunately I think that to varying degrees that happens to (almost?) everyone regardless of cable company.

19. Espo

Espo New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Columbia,MD
    Nice to know others are having the same problem & my new Tivo is not broken (until the next software "fix"). I made sure it doesn't record from G4 & took it out of the listings; so far same problem. The Comcast problems seem to be moot anyway as I likely will switch to Verizon FIOS next month when they get to my street. Too bad because CC offered a great deal to beat V's deal. They gave me internet (15M dl), digital voice (free long distance), & Digital plus (HD,HBO,SHO,STZ) for $99 locked in for 2 years. This beats a comparable deal from V by about $20/mo (& no movie channels) since V is raising their prices on TV by $5/mo & internet by $5/mo after 1/14. I just don't feel safe in signing a contract for 2 years with a company that STILL has the worst customer service. A lot of my friends have FIOS & are happy with it. 1 has 2 cards being installed in his Series 3 on the 26th & I'll be able to compare both systems. Either way, my 30 day trial with CC runs out at the end of the month, so we'll see!

20. Espo

Espo New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Columbia,MD
    After further review, I think my problem with my CableCard problem may be that Comcast doesn't have them registered correctly. When I go to the CC menu, I see these options - RESERVED, RESERVED, CP Screen, DIAG Screen, Host ID Screen, & RESERVED. In DIAG, for RF IP addr it says "None yet..." & in Host ID it doesn't even say "Data" or "UnitAddress" like pictured in the Tivo instructions & at the Techdigs site. Can anyone confirm these are the same screens that they are seeing using the same cable system?