Once Upon A Time S01E04 The Price of Gold OAD 11/13/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, Nov 14, 2011.

1. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Discuss.

2. avoiding work

avoiding work New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Dallas
    My family and I are starting to really enjoy this show. We are basically "letting go" of some of the consistency problems/questions, and just having fun with it.

3. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    Not only do we have the battle for Henry, it looks like a love triangle is brewing between Emma and the Mayor for the Sheriff.

It seems like Emma had the better end of the deal. This is the real world, and verbal agreement for "a favor" isn't really enforceable, unless Mr. Gold has some magical abilities here.

4. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Although I love this show, it was sort of a waste of an hour. The synopsis could have been: "Emma makes a deal with Mr Gold."

OK, I have lots of questions about this episode.

1) Did Rumpie tear up the first contract with Cinderella? If not, they're both valid, though the second one is crap because she's not carrying twins and that's what it's based on.

2) Why would Emma make an open-ended deal with Gold? "You'll owe me one"????? What moron would make that kind of a bargain???

3) Did Henry say he doesn't know who Gold was in FTL (Fairy Tale Land)? Rumpie was very featured in the early parts of the story, unless that clandestine stuff wasn't in the book.

4) I thought it was going to be Cinderella's husband's father that was sleeping with the Mayor. The Sheriff I can understand, but now we're really left wondering where his loyalties *really* lie. When he offered the job to Emma, all I could think of was "keep your friends close and your enemies closer." He's stood up to the Mayor a couple of times, but he's also sleeping with her? Bizarre.

5) Any thoughts on who captured Cinderella's husband? Or was that "You'll never see him again until I get the baby" in FTL a corollary to the husband showing up and asking forgiveness after she had the baby in RL (real life). She "saw him again" after the deal with Gold was complete (and transferred to Emma).

5. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Oh, and Emma still hasn't left Storybrooke since showing up. I'm wondering if she can't now that she's there.

6. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    The casting department is doing a terrible job. First Prince Charming was just meh. Now Cinderella and her Prince are both bland.

I'm not sure how long I'll stick with the show. I'm not feeling very invested in any of the characters and it's getting a bit repetitive.

7. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The second wasn't a valid contract; it was simply a ruse to get him to use the quill. The first was very much still in effect.

As far as Emma is concerned, it's a pretty good bargain. Letting the girl keep her baby in exchange for a verbal promise of a favor? That's a no brainer. Keep in mind Emma has no idea Mr. Gold's fairy tale back story.

He probably knew about Rumplestiltskin; he just hadn't been able to figure out that he was Mr. Gold. It seems obvious to us, but that's because we can see both halves of the story.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Plus there's nothing in the deal that says Emma has to do any favor Gold asks...just that she owes him a favor. So one could argue that she will simply continue to owe him a favor until he asks for one that she's willing to do.

Not very lawyerly of Mr. Gold! :D

9. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    In the little bits at the beginning of the show explaining what's happening to new viewers, it said only one knows the truth and flashed to the Mayor. But I thought it wasn't clear that the Mayor knows what's happening - wasn't the point that no one would know? Are we sure she knows all about the fairy tale stuff? And if she does, why hasn't she taken Emma out for reals?

10. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I hope this show doesn't end up getting too convoluted and hard-to-follow for its own good. In a way, I wish each episode were more self-contained. Like, they could show a character in the fairy world and then go back and forth between our world and theirs and focus on that particular character for that episode. If it's constantly introducing more characters and plot lines than I care to keep up with, I'll move on. There'll be times when I won't watch for a few weeks and may miss an episode or 2 and don't want to feel as if I'll never catch up again.

11. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Maybe Prince Bland was changed into a frog at the well.

This wasn't my fav episode as I thought both Cinderella/Ashley and her Prince/boyfriend were terrible actors.
    I didn't much care about them.

12. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Wasn't that exactly what this episode was? Cinderella's story, quite wrapped up by the end of the hour.

13. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    She's hot.
    Does he need anything else?

I thought that this story was an interesting twist on the Cinderella story while still having connections to the main story arc.

14. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I was thinking about that. If the second contract was carefully worded they might still be ok.

2nd contract stipulates that it completely superceded the previous 1st contract. 2nd constract stipulates that Rumplestiltskin is now entitled to the first pair of children born of Cinderelle; in the event that he uses his magic to bring improved harvests to the kingdom.

By carefully phrasing the contract to avoid stating that Cinderella is currently pregnant with twins it might still be valid. And if Rumplestiltskin can't hold up his end of the bargain he isn't entiteled to the kids.

Fairy tales are notable lacking in lawyers or courts, so I'm not sure how a contract disagreement would be resolved. On the one hand he's not going to be able to hold up his end because him magic is bound. Other the other hand he was tricked into a contract where the other party planned to prevent him from fufilling the terms to get out of paying their previous debt...

15. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I do wonder how they'll deal with the Rumplestiltskin side of it though. Classically he made a 2nd deal that they'd be unable to guess his name. But that's not the deal he's made now; but I wonder if Emma and Henry figuring out that Mr Gold = Rumplestiltskin will somehow break the verbal deal with Emma.

16. Bob_Newhart

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    It sorta was and I actually liked that. I hope that more are like that and they don't start having multiple episode arcs.

17. Bob_Newhart

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Since he didn't even read it, like Cindy didn't the first time, they could have simply put in small print at the bottom that his signature herein voids the previous contract.

18. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I bet that comes in somewhere. :)

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, he is currently misrepresenting himself as someone he is not.

20. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    This bugs me every time. I thought they hinted that Mr. Gold put a loophole in the curse so that he knows what's going on--not the mayor.

Doesn't Henry's book have any pictures in it? That would be helpful.

Rumplestilskin (sp) is way too good at being creepy.