Once Upon A Time - S01E03 - "Snow Falls" - 11/6/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by martinp13, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1 of 30
    martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Interesting background development. I liked how they wove the fairy tale and real world happenings.

Now I'm starting to wonder if little Henry has part of the soul of the Queen's father. :)

2. Nov 7, 2011 #2 of 30
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Love the backstory of Snow and James- she was a bad ass and not a simple damsel in distress. Sure she needed saving but also did some rescuing of her own.

So do we think his "wife" is legit or something the Mayor cooked up at the last minute?

3. Nov 7, 2011 #3 of 30
    tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    I'd say fake.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #4 of 30
    Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    At the start of the episode, the tree was cut down in the middle of the road. There was a woman in carraige. Isn't that the same woman that was his wife in the real world? He was trying to get the ring back in the fantasy world. I figured he was going to marry the woman in the carraige. I guess I figured he did end up marrying the woman and later got into his relationship with Snow White.

5. Nov 7, 2011 #5 of 30
    Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I think it's the same woman- an arranged marriage.
    But seeing how the story ended up with him and Snow I didn't think he actually entered into a marriage with his previously betrothed.
    Guess we'll find out.

6. Nov 7, 2011 #6 of 30
    martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yes, I believe that was the same actress. And evidently he did marry her in fairy tale land.

The interesting part is that Mary-Margaret has the ring in the real world. She absent-mindedly plays with it on her finger during the episode. I wonder where she got it?

It's very interesting trying to figure out who knows what in the real world. The mayor seems to know something, then knows nothing, then knows more. Mr Gold obviously knows something (I bet he built that into the curse).

7. Nov 7, 2011 #7 of 30
    dwells

dwells Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Birmingham, Al
    This is such a great show- I thought it was another excellent episode.‎

And good news again in the ratings- viewers: 11.38 million (#2), A18-49: 3.7/ 9 (#2).‎

I think its safe to say the expected viewer drop-off is not happening- this show is a hit

8. Nov 7, 2011 #8 of 30
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    The VoiceOver at the very beginning (I'm not sure if that's canon, or is done by the network) had some line about "The one who knows the secret," making it sound like only one person in storybrooke knows what's going on. This confused me, since the boy, the mayor, Mr. Gold, Emma, and the teacher could all potentially fit that description, and I'd argue at least two do: the boy, plus either the mayor or Gold, and likely all three.

9. Nov 7, 2011 #9 of 30
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    This episode was a lot more enthralling than last week's. Or maybe I was just in a more receptive mood. In any case I'm back on board with the show for now.

I'm glad most hospitals don't have a single door that separates patients in a recovery room from heavy forests.

10. vikingguy

vikingguy New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Another great episode. They did a great job this week with intertwining the story lines between our world and the fantasy world. I also liked the twist on the snow white story where she could handle herself. The last 2 episodes have got the wife and I hooked on this show. Definitely in our top 2 of shows we watch together.

11. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Henry, the teacher, and Emma only know what's in the book. We still don't know the true origins of the book... the teacher got it from somewhere.

The mayor doesn't know everything, or she would just kill Emma. :)

That leaves Mr Gold. He certainly seems to know what's going on. He hasn't said anything directly... it's all inferred based on what we know. The mayor mentioned "our previous business dealing" and he said "which one do you mean?" We know it was the curse, but she says "when you found Henry for me" and he says "oh, of course". :) Maybe he IS thinking of when he got Henry for her, but I doubt it. He made the curse (as far as we know), so I would bet he put in a backdoor of some sort.

12. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Based on how he reacted to Emma's name in the pilot I believe that he not only knows about the storybook land, but obviously knows the Emma is the daughter of Snow and Charming. Further I believe he knew that when he was involved in getting (selecting?) Henry to be adopted by the Mayor, and thus bringing him to Storybrooke.

Further I suspect he's behind getting Henry the book. But I can't think of anything in the episodes that actually implies that.

13. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I buy all of that. But why Henry, why give him the book, why pretty much help him defeat the Queen? Rumpelstiltskin has nothing, plus he's in jail for whatever reason. Mr Gold has a life of ease... why would he jeopardize that?

One other thing that I think was in episode 2: the Queen said something about getting back at Snow White for killing the man she loved, a future husband? What the heck is THAT all about?

14. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I wonder who Dr. Whale is in fairytale land.

I noticed 2 dwarfs - Sleepy who was sleeping on the job and I guess his co-worker was Grumpy.

15. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    He looked like the lead guard in black who caught Snow after she pushed Charming in the river. But there was a whale in the Pinocchio story...

16. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Don't forget that Rumpelstiltskin spun straw into gold for the miller's daughter and the mayors name is Regina Miller.
    That's not a coincidence- I think they have a history not yet shown.
    In most versions he bargained for her first born child but was thwarted when he agreed to yet another bargain- guessing his name. What his ultimate prize is here I am not sure, but his affinity for clever bargains (which ultimately lead to his downfall) is sure to figure heavily.

Didn't she say "losing", not "killing"?
    Most versions have the EQ married to Snow's father who when faced with some sort of choice chose Snow.

17. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Do all Disney princesses have evil stepmothers?

18. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    I don't think Mr. Gold's life is appealing to him, at least not more appealing than being Rumpelstiltskin. In this world he doesn't have any of his powers. That's why he has to help Emma to break the curse instead of being able to break it himself.

But once the curse is broken, he can return to fairy-tale land with one thing he wouldn't have had had the curse not happened: Emma's name. And there he can use his powers to control her.

19. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I obviously need to go back and re-read my stories! :) I tried to make something out of Miller, but had forgotten that. Excellent catch.

I will re-watch Ep 2 and make sure what she said. She probably did refer to losing and not killing. Somehow I inferred that a death was involved.

I always like to think that the writers are staying way ahead of us. It seems they are in this case. There seem to be a lot of "long cons" in the works.

20. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I think it's in the Ascension To Princess contract.