Once Upon A Time - S01E02 - "The Thing You Love Most" - 10/30/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by martinp13, Oct 31, 2011.

1. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX

Advertisements

Wow, I can only think of the families watching this show together... "Mom, why did she kill her father?" ROFL!

Nice backstory episode, should have been titled "B!tch One-upswomanship". "Your move" indeed! :)

Just keep putting Emma in jail for the dumb stuff she does (like chain-sawing the tree). Snow doesn't have unlimited funds to bail her out over and over.

I thought something would happen when Emma burned the last pages of the book.

It looks like the clock just moves now. I thought the "12 midnight breaks the curse" thing was a good idea, but midnight already passed.

2. dwells

dwells Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Birmingham, Al
    Absolutely loving this show- was a little worried to see if they could follow up on the incredible pilot, ‎but I thought it was another excellent episode.‎

Will be interesting to see the ratings- most are expecting a big drop after the huge numbers the pilot ‎got, but hopefully enough will stick around to make this a hit.‎

3. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I thought this was a much better episode, everything just seemed more settled and natural.

My biggest issue is the actress playing Emma Swan just doesn't seem right somehow, it's the furrowed brow or something.

4. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    She acts like she's read the whole script and knows how the whole season goes. And that's bad acting. I would expect her character to be more cautious about... anything. :)

Did she rent the chainsaw from Lowes? :rolleyes:

OK, OK... I'm finally convinced that Henry is not Pinocchio. He was played by a different actor in the pilot.

5. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN

Advertisements

I really liked this second episode as well. A definite keeper for me.

I do predict that I'll get bored with the show eventually. I don't watch a lot of hour long shows that aren't on HBO or Showtime.

6. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    What is Emma's background? She must be full of money since she apparently has no job to get back to.

7. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Ooops, should have looked it up on Wikipedia. With her job, if she is a one person "company" as a bail bondsman then her being gone doesn't matter until one of her clients really needs her.

8. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    You didn't really need to look it up since it was covered in the first ep :)

9. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I'm surprised to see she was a bail bondsman. I would have guessed she was just a bounty hunter. Bounty hunter would be more of a loner job. That she would just hunt down people on her own time. No real job to get back to.

If she is an actual bail bondsman, then she would have some type of operation to run. I don't remember any mention of this from the first episode.

10. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    specifically whether she was a bounty hunter or bail bondsman ? Remember the first time we saw her on a date with that guy who she eventually chased outside.

11. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Yeah the whole first scene of the pilot was her catching a bail jumper. It's pretty obvious from her car she doesn't have much money :). She wouldn't really have "clients" per se: if a bonding agency calls she can just say she's not available... as long as she's freelance (which she does appear to be) they won't hold it against her.

12. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    + people on TV always are able to rent a car / book a hotel / take flight etc. etc. I can't afford tonight's dinner sometimes :)

13. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    I'm really impressed. The story is good, and the acting is very good - I have a problem with Jennifer Morrison, though. She just looks way too old to pull off 28, even though she's only 32. She looks like she was rode hard and put away wet.

14. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    It's not the years, it's the mileage...

Emma had a rough life. Nothing wrong with her looking older than her biological age.

15. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I'm hooked on this show. It is quickly becoming my favorite of all the new shows.

16. JohnB1000

Dec 6, 2004
    This

+ she spent a lot of time frowning about it.

17. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    She's definitely a bail bondsman (bondsperson?) the conversation with the guy at the very beginning went something like this:

Emma: What can I guess about you . . . you look like the kind of guy who would embezzle from his employer and then take off. Stop me if I'm getting this wrong. And leave his wife holding the bag.
    Guy: Who are you?
    Emma: The one who put up the rest of your bail money

Not having any direct experience with bail bonds et al I think she can also do some "routine" business over her cellphone/computer and keep it up that way. We just don't see those parts of her day during the show.

Of course "Storybrooke, ME" could exist outside of the normal space time continuum, wouldn't be the first time those producers pulled that stunt.

18. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    So, I'm watching a show about fairy tale characters who come to life in the real world, and the thing that bugged me the most about this episode?

Those were NOT Honeycrisp apples!!

Don't make a big deal and have dialogue about how hardy Honeycrisp apples are (they are) while you're holding a bowl of Red Delicious apples!

Signed,
    Honeycrisp and Pink Lady Apple Lover ;)

19. holee

holee Uncertain

Dec 12, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    What was the deal with the donkey that the other witch was trying to protect during the duel? Where ones it fit into the Cinderella lore?

20. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Cinderella? The other witch was Maleficent from (the Disney version of) Sleeping Beauty, and the main "witch" (the mayor) is the Evil Queen from Snow White.

So far, I don't think we've had any characters from Cinderella pop up, but I could be mistaken. Give it time, though... they will probably cross into every fairy tale there is over time.