Once Upon A Time - "Desperate Souls" - S01E08

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by martinp13, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1 of 29
    martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Not bad. Good back-story on Rumpelstiltskin (though I thought they were going to need a bigger knife to show his name :) ... as it turned out, they just used a smaller font size). At least we now know where he got his power, at least much of it, and some of his personal motivations. Again they did a great job of intertwining the two worlds with similar story lines (benefactors and the like).

I think I've come to the conclusion that the reason Regina hasn't offed Emma is that she can't. Graham and his heart-thingy were imported to Here from There by the curse, so even Here, Regina could affect him. But Emma did not come here via the curse, so Regina cannot directly harm her. Regina can influence, coerce, threaten, etc, but I believe can't kill Emma. There may be a better reason, but they haven't revealed it yet. Has anyone physically attacked Emma? I can't remember a time.

I looked up the Lick My Boot actor... he's been in a TON of stuff, but he looks a lot different clean-shaven. I liked his acting style.

2. Jan 9, 2012 #2 of 29
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Enjoyed this episode, but I want to know when we're getting an episode with the back story on Little Red Riding Hood.

3. Jan 9, 2012 #3 of 29
    martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    ROFL, you just want to see more of Meghan Ory. :)

4. Jan 9, 2012 #4 of 29
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Duh!! ;)

5. Jan 9, 2012 #5 of 29
    loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    We can only hope. :)

6. Jan 9, 2012 #6 of 29
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Last night, I started to think that she really doesn't have access to magic in "the real world" or it's extremely limited.

What's plentiful "back home" is not readily available here so she's making due with political power and intimidation.

I also enjoyed this episode a lot with a good backstory on Gold/Rumple.

She was on the last episode of Supernatural, playing a "trollop".

7. Jan 9, 2012 #7 of 29
    mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH
    This was my favorite episode yet. Loved Rumple's backstory.

8. Jan 9, 2012 #8 of 29
    tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    So now I wonder where in Storybrooke is the dagger with Rumplestiltskin's name on it? Whoever finds it will control him.

9. Jan 9, 2012 #9 of 29
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Did you miss the episode where Regina killed Graham by squeezing the heart she had locked in her underground lair? I'd say that qualifies as magic.

10. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    And since its the only time we haveseen it, i would agreeit is limited magic
    ;)

11. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I would have expected her to have brought A box with A heart from There, but she brought the whole library card catalog. I do hope they explain some of that in the latter half of the season.

12. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nobody mentioned Wormtongue?

13. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    So was the original "Dark One" the guy on the cover of that Zoso album?

[​IMG]

14. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Magic soul-trapping dagger makers are usually good about that. The Daggers of the First Age were limited to 8 fixed-width characters, but that allowed too many loopholes for people with longer names, so they eventually added support for scalable, variable-width fonts.

When daggers first started supporting different fonts, people kind of went wild with them, so you used to see a lot of them using crazy fonts like WingDings. If you ever find a dagger that looks like it contains writings from a lost and forgotten language, it is probably one of those.

15. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Or perhaps free him.

I wonder if this is why he is supporting Emma against the Queen, but only to a certain extent. He wants their fight to be even enough that one of them will take the dagger out of desperation in order to win. Emma might kill him to stop his evil; the Queen might kill him to take his power. Either way, he would be free.

16. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I didn't miss anything but as others have pointed out, she already had done the heart link/removal before the curse took effect.
    One could argue that she simply destroyed the talisman that kept him alive.

Which ones are using Comic Sans?

17. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I caught the Led Zeppelin reference as soon as I saw the name on the dagger. :up:

18. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Maybe that is what he was burying in the woods...
    At one point in the pawn shop he looked at a display case of daggers, but the magic one was not there.

I had been waiting so long for this ep and so looking forward to Rumpel's backstory that I was somewhat disappointed- I think this episode fell victim to the Lost syndrome of using backstory as a substitute for advancing the storyline. It raised more questions than it answered for me- timeline questions, wondering what became of Bael, curious if he helped any conscripted children or just immediately went bonkers- how long did it take him to turn into the manic giggling Rumpel we saw imprisoned in the mine/jail, anyway? What exactly are his powers and goals?

BUT Mr. Gold is still my favorite character and I did enjoy watching Robert Carlyle's portrayal of the three versions of his character. I still don't know what side he is playing for in Storybrooke. The scales of justice that appeared between he and Regina during their "conversation" suggest he is siding with "good" at least temporarily but I still think the entire show is a long con of his. Probably initiated, as BitbyBlit said above, to free him.

And I still want to know where the dang book came from.

19. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I think you might be right on both counts, or at least on the right track.

Has anyone noticed that they're modifying the opening credits each week? When the big 'ONCE' slides in on the mostly empty foggy woodland scene, there's one detail added, and from what I can tell it's related to that week's episode. The most memorable was a dragon (when Charming stepped up)... this week was a horseman riding across (like the ones Rumpel killed), and next week it's the gingerbread cottage for the Hansel and Gretel story. The generic shots have nothing but the fog.

20. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Interestingly this weeks "backstory" plot went much farther into the past than previous ones, as someone pointed out in the discussion of those eps the "Backstory" bits were pretty much in sequence, but reverse order, this one wasn't. Not sure what it means, but I was expecting more on the dynamic between Snow White and Evil Queen, perhaps why EQ hates Snow badly enough to want her dead.