Once Upon A Time - " A Land Without Magic" - FINALE 5/13/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, May 13, 2012.

1. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio

Advertisements

Wow just a few thoughts before I unpause GoT.

1. I knew I was right about Regina loving Henry. Maybe it was Emma's kiss that was needed to bring him back and break the curse but I did feel a tiny bit sorry for Regina there for a second.
    2. BELLE! How did Jefferson know she was there? What does he gain in getting her out?
    3. If Gold was going to the well to bring back magic, does it matter to him that the curse is broken? He was bringing it back either way, right? Only now Belle remembers him.
    4. Snow/Charming! So happy that David the bore is officially gone (at least his personality is, which is all that matters)... gosh Charming is so awesome. Every moment with him in this episode was made of win.
    5. "If I were you, your Magesty, I'd find a place to hide" heee! Indeed!

Can't wait for next season!

2. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    Hopefully, next season they'll stop trying to convince me that Snow and Charming embody "true love" (those two milquetoast ragdolls?).

More Hatter would be good. Less Rumpelstiltskin. Gold is fine, but that damn ridiculous Belle story will surely ruin him.

All in all, season one was more interesting than good. Just enough to keep me tuning in (skipping a few episodes) to see what's happening, but wishing better writers were at the helm.

3. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    As usual, my DVR cut off the last minute. Can anybody recap Golds speech about why he was bringing magic back, and anything that might have happened after that?

Thank you very much!

4. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Said that magic is power, then showed the town being engulfed in the cloud, Henry and Emma looking out the window watching the cloud. Cut to Queen looking out her window with her evil smile.

5. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...

Advertisements

Thank you.

6. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Gold said the well can return things once lost.

Instead of magic, Gold should've had the well return his son instead of magic.

7. Linnemir

Linnemir Member

Apr 7, 2009
    A decent finale with a good hook for next season ... Random thoughts and observations follow -

Hatter knowing about Belle was out of left field for me. I have to agree that I wish Gold had tried to get his son back rather than the magic.

I felt sorry for Regina for about two seconnds, or until the shot of her evil queen smirk.

As a long-time gamer, I really thought Emma got rid of the dragon much too quickly - and I found the outlilne of the box on the dragon's neck unrealistic. I loved it when she ditched the sword to shoot it, though I knew it wouldn't work. And if memory servers, didn't Emma leave Charming's sword down by the dragon's body??

I would have loved a couple of quick shots showing the dwarves, August, and Hatter and his daughter.

The character of David didn't even rate as milquetoast with me - he was just a jerk. Mary Margaret was pretty blah, but she had her moments.

I still think that Emma looks older than 28, but that's a matter of opinion, I guess.

8. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Magic is power, and power corrupts. I think it was clear in this episode that Regina actually did love Henry. She had shown signs of that throughout the season, but I am still hung up on the fact that they made such a big deal of Emma being able to detect when people were lying, and then she detected Regina as lying when she said she loved Henry.

Perhaps, however, even though Regina didn't lose her memories, the loss of most of her magic did make her slightly less corrupt than before. So the Regina of Storybrooke was not quite the same person as the Evil Queen of Fairy Tale Land.

But when Regina saw the cloud of magic approaching, that evil smile showed that the Queen inside her was returning.

Not just the Queen, though. Rumplestiltskin is sure to be back to his impish self. (Which I suppose means the dagger now works. Good thing he got it back from Pinnochio!) He loved his son so much that he was willing to set up this whole charade just to get to him, but it was set up in this manner because he could not give up his power. All he had to do was go with his son at the beginning, but he couldn't then. And even after realizing what he had lost, and why he had lost it, he still wasn't willing to give it up. He needed to set up a scheme that ruined a bunch of people's lives so that he could have both his son and his power.

Poor Belle. She got saved just in time for her to lose Rumpelstiltskin all over again.

The Storybrooke bubble has now burst. The rest of the world had better watch out. They are coming.

9. Zarisa

Zarisa New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Hey what time is it?

MAGIC TIME! <insert dance here>

10. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    When the curse was broken and they panned by all the major characters I was surprised that we did not see August beginning to revert to his human form.

11. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I don't think that's how it works. I think all it could return was the magic. I'm still in the camp that thinks he would do anything and give up anything to have his son back. He's already made the choice of power over him once and I cannot see him doing it twice.

I'm still bugged by the fact that Regina knew Emma was Snow & Charming's kid and the savior. When did this get revealed? Are we to assume she's known all along? My one huge pet peeve for this season. Otherwise, I'm happy with how it's progressed and look forward to next season.

12. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Why did Emma have a memory-recall revelation when she picked up the book after dumping it out of Henry's bag? She's picked it up before... she was reading it when she told Henry she'd like to keep it and read it some more.

Overall I thought the ending was kinda weak. I liked the plant-the-egg/kill-the-dragon cut scenes, and that Jefferson grew a bit of a spine, but that was about it. The kiss-Henry thing was telegraphed a month ago, and THAT broke the curse? Regina should have done everything she could to keep Emma away from Henry: not kill her, but make sure she's never in the same place as Henry. I agree with photoshopgrl that if Regina knew THAT from the start, there was some lame writing going on.

I'm starting to think that they made up some of the "who knows what" stuff as the season progressed. From the pilot, Gold knew. Then Regina seemed to know, then she definitely knew, then Jefferson (and they never explained how), then August (him we understand). "Only one knows" indeed. :)

13. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Also, Emma saw the purple cloud and said "What is that?" and Henry answered "Something bad!"

My take is that when she picked it up before, she didn't want to believe. This time she wanted to believe, so when she picked it up, it all came back.

14. Roommate

Roommate New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    I assume for the same reason she couldn't see August turning to wood at first. She had to be ready to believe.

I quite enjoyed the finale. I was afraid they would set up a big cliffhanger but in a way that within an episode or two next season, things would be back to "normal" (Emma not believing, the curse still firmly in place). I don't see how they can back down from the game-changing events of this episode, and I'm looking forward to where it goes from here.

15. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I think this finale would have benefited greatly by being 30 minutes longer- it felt really rushed. A lot happened.
    That said I was pretty happy with the way it wrapped a few things up while still leaving the future wide open.

16. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    In case you want to watch it.
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ORntb1GzI[/media]

17. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Oh and how about seeing the Huntsman again? Loved that he helped Charming out.

Does Sebastian Stan have anything else going right now? If not, can we just go ahead and bump him up to a regular for next season? So much awesome. Yes, he's super pretty but that's not why I'm loving him. I love the character and how he plays it and I just find him to be a very 'enchanting' actor. (see what I did there?)

18. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thank you... makes good sense. :)

My concern for next season (assuming that pink cloud = magic in our world) is that won't this just be the Rump & Reg show? Who else has the caliber magic that they do? I don't understand his actions: I could see him giving magic to himself (if it were possible to limit it), but to give it to Regina too? Yikes.

So who would S. Glass be? Maybe Alice? They made sure to show us that name on a room/cell as Jefferson was heading to free Belle.

19. martinp13

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have no idea how he knew she was there, but letting her out is his way of telling Regina "I'm spineless and can't kill you, but I can release your hostage AND sic Mr Gold on you at the same time." :)

20. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Yeah that's about all I could deduct from it too.