Once excellent support now very frustrating

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jilter, Feb 27, 2021.

1. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002

Advertisements

Edited Sunday, 2.28.21
    So, I am having an issue with a box Tivo Roamio Plus connecting. The Tivo is receiving channels, can connect to outside apps, and will record from a manual set-up. The issue is solely connecting to obtain guide data, manually or otherwise. It connects to the Tivo service, verifies account status, configures, sets clock, starts to download guide data, stalls and returns an error message "Connection interrupted." Last Saturday I spent an hour with a rep from outside the U.S. I was told to call my ISP after an hour of trying step after step. I called back for clarification, reached a different rep and was told immediately it was a know issue, the case would be escalated and I would be contacted. A whole week and nothing. Admittedly, I have not paid attention to the help threads in some time/ Is this the state of tech support with the once fantastic Tivo company? This was the intent of my post so I do not have to anticipate getting any concrete assistance any time soon.
    Thank you for any enlightenment.
    I called again Friday and was told by the very nice young lady in the Philippines it is a "known outage", and was reassured it was being worked on. Ok. a known outage? Seems like misplaced language to me; our other Tivo Roamio connects daily.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  2. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Have you escalated your issue to TiVo top tier support (aka TCF)? ;)

3. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    I am not sure if you are joking. If no, I would love guidance, thank you.

4. CinciDVR

CinciDVR Contentious Member

May 24, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    He is sort of joking. TCF is Tivo Community Forum, you know, this forum.

5. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002

Advertisements

Ooops - missed reading his post accurately. Very very frustrated.
    But, of course -here I am.

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Amazes me that someone with 10,000+ posts and who has been around since 2002 will make a post for help with almost zero helpful information...
    What model of Tivo DVR are you trying to get connected? "Box" is a bit non-discriptive. While you are at it, what ISP is your cable provider? Assuming you have a cablecard from the ISP, have you checked the Tivo Support pages for Troubleshooting suggestions? https://support.tivo.com/articles/Knowledge/CableCARD-Troubleshooting
    PS. Trouble getting cablecards properly paired and activated is usually about 99% the result of incompetent ISP CSR's but 100% of the time you will be told there is something wrong with your Tivo "because everything looks fine on their(the ISP) end."

7. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    Happy to amaze you on a Sunday morning. Thank you very much for your supportive post. Very kind of you to take the time.
    Have a great day.

8. Mar 7, 2021 #8 of 10
    CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018
    I've been having the same issue. It's been happening for over a month now. At first I thought it was my ISP, Frontier (formerly Verizon). Most of the time it won't verify Account Status or Connection Interrupted during download. Sometimes it's will just breeze through the download. It seems like the whoever took over Tivo, is trying to push their newer products instead of supporting the older models.

9. Mar 7, 2021 #9 of 10
    jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    I guess I should be grateful I had Tivo all these years. I just wish I knew definitively so I could return the cable card. <sigh>
    Thank you for posting of your similar experience.

10. CodeButcher

CodeButcher Member

Sep 14, 2018
    Though my problem is updating the guide. I notice the guide does get updated somehow, with the failed interrupted download. I watch some sub channel programs (2.2, 2.3, 2.4, etc), and a couple of shows recently ended and the new or replacement shows are listed in their place. It seems to get progressively worse. Before it would eventually complete and be successful, but now it's failing every time, though the guide still gets updated.

Years ago when I had ReplayTV, the guide really only needed to be updated at least once a week or two weeks max. I guess with the advent of Digital TV, the list of channels multiplied and so did the data as well.