Once again - wrong Guide information

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Stormydog, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I do get irritated when I search for a program and find a time slot in the future when the show I want to record does not offer a record time conflict. But many times, the Guide says the show I want is on, but the channel plays another show completely.

Maybe someone can explain this:
    Twice I set to record Bravo channel - Top Chef. When I went to play the recorded show (Top Chef on title) I get some show from Hallmark, a completely different channel, but has Top Chef listed. I know no one will accept any blame for guide fowl ups, but I have to start asking what is going on somewhere. So I am asking Tivo Help for explaination or where to properly complain.

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Assuming you have a S2 and us an IR emitter to change the channel on the cable box, the answer is simple. The cable box channel is not being changed correctly by the Tivo so the Tivo thinks it's on Bravo, but the cable box ended up on Hallmark. Some of the most likely causes of this are, a misaligned IR emitter, IR interference, the options for channel changing may need to be tweeked

3. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I have not had to switch using IR cables because all channels are not converted to digital. The rest of my channels go digital March 8 and this will impact my S2.

However, the channel screw up is with my Premier.
    I just got a message of a cable line up change for Hallmark HD. I was setting the show to record by looking it up on Bravo HD and I selected Record this show. When I go to play it, it is another channel and show.

I figure I will never get an answer from anybody but wondered how often this happens. My previous eperience was the same channel said a show was on but played another. This deals with a different channel and I have no control over it.

I did find out Hallmark HD is channel 683, Bravo HD is channel 684. May be it was a preswitch mixup that will now go away. I will let you know as time goes on.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It helps to have all of the information regarding the channels in question.
    Ok, that preswitch mixup problem is caused by the cable company reporting the line up change to TMS which in turn reports the change to Tivo and somewhere in there the the date the change takes effect is either misreported or non-existant causing an immediate change when the change hasn't happened yet, so Tivo thinks Bravo is channel xx but it's still hallmark.

The change could be an error or it could be that the change will happen sometime in the near future. If it's a future change, the chances of getting it corrected for the short while in the mean time is while is pretty low.

5. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Ok I understand it now. Nothing I can do so just had to check it out.

6. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Wrong show channel happened again. BravoHD and LifetimeHD. Went to record show on BravoHD and in My Shows, shows show title and channel as being correct. When I play it, it is the Hallmark channel.

Who can I contact about this? Someone has to be responsible.

7. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Can someone suggest who to complain about when the wrong show is played and is not the same as what is on the gude. Do I compain to comcast or do you think they will advise me who to complain to. I am so tired of picking out shows from the guide and then when I go to play the recording, the dumb channel showed a completely different show.

This happens more on certain channels than others I'm sure. But it happens enough times it is a 50/50 chance of getting the show you picked out. My wife and I sat down to watch several episodes of a very interesting series and there are no more episodes left and both recordings were some other show in that time slot. My wife gets so angry and goes on and on about paying so much money for Premier, subscriptions and then get this kind of service and the non-ability to watch a show the whole DVR industry is founded upon - recording a show and watching it on your time. Just not working all that well.