Once again my Bolt+ hard drive crapped out

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by UCLABB, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Sep 8, 2019 #1 of 11
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I promised myself I wouldn't again play the game of exchanging it with TiVo. So I scrounged through my cables and parts boxes and found an old power supply and connector for a hard drive, a sata cable and an old 3.5" HDD. Tore the Bolt+ case off and set it up with the bare HDD and voila, a working TiVo. I'll probably just leave the HDD bare and hide it behind other stuff. I now need to drill a hole in the case cover for the SATA cable so I can put it back on. I don't think I spent more than 10-15 minutes doing this.

Now I need to get a permanent HDD. Undecided of whether to just get a 3tb WD red or go for a bigger one. I'm leery about a bigger one as I keep losing all my programs even though I think this setup with the external should be rock solid.

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. Sep 8, 2019 #2 of 11
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    It’s ugly. Note the fan. Got the ODT down to 34 degrees, but of course cooling not needed with the hdd outside the box.

upload_2019-9-8_20-4-51.jpeg

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. Sep 9, 2019 #3 of 11
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Is that the new TiVo Edge machine? ;)

UCLABB, minimeh and kpeters59 like this.
  4. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Should put it all inside an old TivoHD or Premier case.

5. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    "down to 34 degrees, ...."
    Cool!

6. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I'd be careful with that. If you are using the power from the Bolt. The Bolt PS and MB are designed assuming a 2.5" drive is being used. If you are going to use a 3.5 you might want to get your power from an external enclosure designed for 3.5s.

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    No, I'm using a separate power supply with a Molex connector/adapter. I had those parts when I ran an external drive on an SA8300 DVR.

8. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Excellent, did not see the picture, just read "bare drive". By the way really don't need an "expensive" WD Red if going to get a new drive. Any decent name brand PMR (not SMR) drive will do. For 3/4TB drives I usually use Seagates (larger drives like 6TB and up I do stick with NAS/Video/Enterprise type.) Do have to make sure it's a PMR drive though, sometimes easier said than done as PMR/SMR is not usually listed in specs. When I was doing a lot of upgrades I had a list of model numbers I knew were PMR.

A nice enclosure is Sabrent EC-UEIS7. Even has a fan and molex so can use with the molex/Sata adapter. And large enough to hold the adapter and incoming Sata cable. I got them for $20-25, not sure what price they are now.

9. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    A couple pics, one with the Sabrent, the other when I was testing with a bare drive using the power from an external IDE enclosure.

100_3538.JPG

Attached Files:

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks for the tips, Tommage1. I am thinking ahead on how to get the sata cable out of the TiVo. Did you just leave the small cover over hdd location off and run the SATA cable out of there?

11. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Well that is the way it is now. A more permanent solution would be to just run it out the back of the Bolt. Could cut a groove in case or maybe just use a couple shims each side of the cable so it does not get pinched. I do use two Sata cables with appropriate M/F connectors, that way I can detach the external from the Bolt easily.