On the way to Premiere land

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ducker, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    I've taken the plunge and picked up a Premiere box over the weekend.
    Snagged the last box/slide remote at Best Buy.

I want to make sure I get all my ducks in a row prior to -
    A) Purchasing my Lifetime.
    B) Changing over from DirecTV to Verizon Fios
    C) Making sure I have all pieces ready for Upgrade

I will be using my TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter, from my S2 - just to reduce costs for now. (after all is configured and setup I may look to hard wiring the unit, but not just yet)

1) Should I schedule my Install/service date for Fios before buying my lifetime purchase?
    My concern here is if there are any issues with the unit at the start - I want to have time to swap the unit with Tivo.

2) Do I need to have purchased the Lifetime before my first boot up/configuration of the unit? I know You should go through all the menu's and etc, prior to the install date.

3) From what it looks like online, it doesn't appear that I can order a Multi-cable card online. So it appears that I have to add just a vanilla box to start, and then call up Verizon to request the card? Has anyone dealt with a situation like this?

4) Upgrade - (I've upgraded my old S2 ages ago, and I'm comfortable inside a PC) I have a 2TB drive, is the drive in the Tivo unit SATA as well? or a different type. I was figuring putting the tools on a thumb drive, booting from the thumb drive, and connecting both drives to my MB(if I can - I'm not sure if I have multiple SATA ports on the mainboard)

Otherwise, I'll need to get some type of USB - SATA connection for minimally 1 drive (I figure the other I can just connect as my current HD inside is) Any good suggestions here for a _cheap_ solution?

Thanks for any feedback all.

-Mike

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I don't think it matters if the unit is defective TiVo will send you a new one and move the lifetime service - I would boot the Premiere up and get it to update the software to the latest version before hand and test the unit before you install the cable cards. You can tell it you are OTA for testing.
    No but again it wouldn't hurt to do so. Again get the software updated to current version before installing cable cards and test unit to make sure it works.
    you should be able to pickup the cable card and do the install yourself - Call them and find out what the cheapest/easiest way is.
    I would not upgrade the hard drive until the 90 warranty is gone. Upgrades are very easy (easier than a S2) and yes the drives are SATA and a 2TB upgrade is great (that is what I did) follow these instructions: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8143047#post8143047
    Either way works fine. However if your motherboard has SATA controlers built in it will have at least 2 ports and you should be good to go using them.

Good Luck,

3. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    So you can update the Premiere's software with out signing up with Tivo? (ie. attaching it to my account/buying the lifetime)

And yes, I wasn't going to upgrade the drive until the about the end of the 90 day period.

I guess it's time for me to crack open the PC I have and see if I have 2 SATA controllers - oh the woes of not building your own machine.. no idea what's on the board.

Thanks!

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Yes you can connect to the TiVo mother ship and start using your TiVo without signing up for any service (least I think you still can) as it comes with temp service. It should update the software with a few connections.

Regarding the PC - if it has SATA built onto the motherboard at all (which has been standard now for years) it will have at least 2 SATA connections most motherboards have more. You can use the one your hard drive is using as you will be booting from either a USB stick or CD. It is also likely your optical drive is using a SATA port and if you boot from the USB stick you can use that one also that way you won't need more SATA cables.

Good Luck,