On the virge, follow Tivo to Cable or lose the Tivo?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by nuke, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Jan 6, 2007 #1 of 14
    nuke

nuke Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Campbell,...

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide where I'm going next. I've been through 3 tivos, starting with a standalone on cable, then followed Tivo to D* with DTivo DVR2 and to a HDTivo.

But now D* is booting Tivo out the door. The DVR2 is in the bedroom and we just put a flat panel in there. Would like to go HD there, but I'm not at all interested in changing the UI, now that my wife has got the Tivo all figured out. I'm sure not mixing up the UI between rooms in the house.

With D* pretty much turning into the same blood-sucking nickel-and-dime you to death monster that cable has been, I see no reason to stick with them anymore.

I just freakin' hate the cable company though. But I'm thinking it is time for a couple Series 3 boxes, cable cards and to invite Comcast back in to the house.

Never thought I'd say it, but I'm seriously considering switching soon.

2. Jan 6, 2007 #2 of 14
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    If Comcast offers you value and the channels you want and you have the income to be able to afford a couple Series 3 then I don't see the problem here. Cable sounds like a good choice for you.

3. Jan 6, 2007 #3 of 14
    supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Make the switch.

4. Jan 6, 2007 #4 of 14
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I'm on the way back to cable, starting with a Series3 for OTA (but keeping D* for sat channels) and then a complete switch to cable when I move in June. When my HR10 died and they wouldn't give me another to replace it (in warranty), I gave up on D*.

5. Jan 6, 2007 #5 of 14
    rbreding

rbreding TiVo Nutjob

Dec 12, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Advertisements

Define "died" if you would....was it hacked ?

6. Jan 6, 2007 #6 of 14
    Rych6896

Rych6896 New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    M*******
    I'm not considering Charter, but I'm going to look hard at Version FIOS as it arrives in the next year.

7. Jan 6, 2007 #7 of 14
    rbreding

rbreding TiVo Nutjob

Dec 12, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Boy that was profound and off the wall..... :rolleyes:

8. Jan 7, 2007 #8 of 14
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The original hard drive had died. I replaced it with a 500gb drive, which worked for about 4 months. After it got 6.3 it started to drop audio (like everyone else) on OTA, but then after a few weeks it started rebooting -- every five minutes. I figured I had another bad drive, so I replaced it again. It still rebooted every 5 minutes, so I replaced the drive with another running 3.1.5f -- still rebooting. So I replaced the power supply with a brand new one from Weaknees -- still rebooting. By the way, all of these drives worked fine in a friend's HR10 which he let me use for testing.

D* said I was still in warranty and offered to replace the unit with a new TiVo. They also gave me $10 off a month for six months. Then they promptly shipped out an HR20. They would not get me another HR10. I placed the original drive into the HR10 and shipped it back. Then I sold the HR20 on ebay. I also cancelled my HD service and deactivated the HR10 from my account. Since I owned the HR10 and the HR20 was provided under warranty, I owned it too and I did not get any more years on my account. The $25 I am saving per month ($10 credit, $10 HD fee and $5 receiver fee) for the next six months, added to what I got for the HR20 on ebay, more than pays for the Series3. And all I lose in the short term is some over-compressed reruns on like 8 HD channels.

When I go to cable, I can use my S3 for HD in the living room, use an existing S2 box I have for the bedroom, add a S2 DT box for my den, and sell my DirecTiVo boxes on ebay for a pretty good price, since most of them are upgraded with nice big drives. I just hope they enable MRV on the S3, since I use that feature quite a bit on my D* boxes (but of course it never worked on the HR10.)

9. Jan 7, 2007 #9 of 14
    rbreding

rbreding TiVo Nutjob

Dec 12, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    OK thanks....for the explanation on the HR10.....did you try a different image or use the same one each time you restored to the "new" drives ?

10. Rych6896

Rych6896 New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    M*******
    Ya...I guess what I'm saying is I want to see if Series3 tivo work with verizon.

11. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I used both 3.1.5f and 6.3 images, which I have used in the past to install larger drives in friend's units. I even tried an older 3.1.5c image, with the same results.

I believe the motherboard of the unit was toasted.

12. Woody_One

Woody_One New Member

Oct 13, 2005
    I dislike cable so much, that I will do a lot to stay away from them. :thumbsdown:

I have a new HR20. While it is different, it's not terrible. I've got use to it in a week or so.
    I still have a SD D* tivo and a HR10, along with the new D* HD receiver that is the same interface as the HR 20.

The HR 20 is a lot faster than the HR10 too. :up:

13. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Rumor has it Comcast is going to have Tivo running on their motorola boxes, some of which are already in the field.

I too have had just about enough screwing around by DirecTV. Their house-brand units are terrible. And then they go an deliberately disabled (remove completely) the ability to do MRV on the HR10-250 when they went to the 6.3 upgrade. So now instead of making my wife happy about the new 50" plasma she's complained why she can't pull the movies from "her" Tivo down onto the one driving the new TV. THIS is not progress.

So as much as I utterly despise Comcast and Verizon it looks like DirecTV is giving me no choice other than to make the switch. AND to encourage others to do so as well.

14. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Now I consider that a much better option than S3 with CC, simply because cable will treat any 3rd-party STB/DVR like a red-headed step-child. How motivated do you think they will be to help you diagnose a problem with CC and a S3? Certainly a lot less than they would their own box running Tivo.