On The Lot - OAD 8/14/07 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Aug 15, 2007.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Well, this episode pretty much sucked. After Sam got the ax at the beginning, the remaining three directors each picked two of their previous films to show, which meant we'd pretty much already seen everything. I immediately forwarded to the end to see the call-in numbers and proceeded to vote several times for Will because he's been my favorite director overall.

However, we then went back and watched the rest of the episode and I found that I really liked the films submitted by the other two directors more than Will's. I've not been a big fan of Jason, but his film about the guy forgetting his anniversary was one of the best of the whole series. And Adam's musical "Dough" and his dollhouse films were also some of my favorite. While I got the general sense over the course of the series that Will was my favorite, if his best two films were "Glass Eye" and "The Yes Men," he really doesn't deserve to win, as neither of those were all that good.

So Will got several votes from me, but I guess they were based more on my overall perceptions and not on the actual films.

2. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I never have voted in this show. I skimmed the episode also. I guess they decided it was not worth spending more money on movies. I will watch the last episode but since my motive for watching this was watching little movies, I will probably skim it also.

3. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    This was a new low for what has already been a pretty lousy show. When I saw that the episode was only going to consist of rerunning some of their old films, I just deleted it.

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    DevdogAZ, I have to agree with you.

My perception from the judges and when the directors are sitting around waiting for an elimination was that Will was one of the better directors. I do not like the films he chose to close with (and I'm trying to remember now some of his others - I think "Nerve Ending" was his, too, if I'm not mistaken and that was horrible!).

Of the films shown last night, I think Jason did the best job of putting his best foot forward, followed by Adam then Will. How the votes will go, who knows. I usually watch this on Wednesday mornings, so the voting is already over with at that point.

If this thing gets a second season next spring, I'm afraid to say I'll probably watch again. I hope they do something to make it more interesting and watchable though.

I think it will be a kick to see Spielberg next week and see what he has to say about the whole thing. Although as I type that, I get this picture in my mind of Adrianna introducing him and then there's his head on some big-screen "live remote feed" where he didn't even take the time to go to the studio for it. Oh well, only one more week to go.

5. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think the show was kind of spoiled by the fact that the "directors" must also be good "screenwriters" in order to compete effectively in the competition. If they're really looking for talented directors, they should have some sort of competition where the directors are given identical scripts and then you would see how a director interpreted the scene, directed the actors, framed the shots and angles, etc. As it is now, the judges and the public are more focused on the plot/story of the short movies rather than the quality of the directing.

It seems that at the beginning, On The Lot was prepared to do something like this when they sent all the directors on a challenge where they'd have two hours to shoot one page of script. But then when the next episode came on, they totally scrapped that format and never referenced that challenge again.

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    UGH!! What a horrible excuse for an episode....I deleted it the second hottie said the "directors" get to rerun thei favs...man did this show end up totally sucking.

7. splendid

splendid All day everyday :)

Sep 1, 2005
    Wantage...
    What horrible excuse for a show! :thumbsdown:

8. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow, I didn't know a weekly reality show could be a quasi-repeat.

My TiVo got a major workout FFing through this episode.

Jason's emotional "breaks" seemed fake to me. I still love "Getta Rhoom" though.

9. Indiana627

Indiana627 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Vestal, NY
    Total waste of an hour, well 55 minutes after we learned Sam got axed. After that it took me about 2 minutes to watch the rest. I hope Will wins. Can't wait to delete the season pass as I'm sure I'll never need it again.

10. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I agree, a total waste of an episode. And somehow they're going to try and waste another hour announcing the winner :rolleyes:

11. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I can't believe how much they mangled this show. I think they may literally have changed the format every single week. First they cancel an episode showing how the cut got down to the finalists. Then all kinds of format changes. And now the "finale" is not a movie making experience, just them choosing existing stuff. I have never been one to whine about cancelled shows, so for me, this type of crap is the real reason to say, "Burn in hell, fox".

Oh yeah, and what in the crap happened to Jerry O'connell?!!!!! That has got to be the most blatant stupidity in a rash of blatant stupidities in this show. Maybe Penny Marshall told us that Jerry quit and I just couldn't understand her muttering gibberish?

Anyoo, I liked the two films Will showed. All of his films are about like that, good, but not spectacular. It's the consistent goodness that I like. I was reminded in this episode of an Adam movie I didn't like as much, although it escapes me now. But I still hope Adam wins.

The format could give Jason an unfair boost. He has had a lot of garbage movies. All but the two he showed, basically. The other two had much more consistency. Annoying that the audience is supposed to judge based on this.

12. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I have been thinking about this since the beginning. Giving them all the same script would be like American Idol, all about talent and interpretation. This is more like judging singer/songwriters where you gave them a style of music or a theme and asked them to write a song based on that.

So this competition puts emphasis on overall film making talent, not just directing. And since most directors end up tweaking a script to match their own style, it seems fair to ask them to prove they have some writing talent to win the contract.

I also have never voted because I tend to watch the next day after the voting is over. I liked Adam most, followed by Will, and then Jason. Even though "Sweet" by Jason was one of my favorite films of the summer.

13. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    I think I was most interested in this show at the beginning when they showed the directors working on filming. It seemed more like Survivor or The Apprentice, where there are challenges and the drama of having to excel at a particular assignment carries interest.

Once they switched formats to American Idol style just showing the movies, the show became too static and too similar to every other talent show out there.

The repeated format changes and lack of consistency hurt a huge amount as well.

I agree that of all the bad episodes, this was the worst.

I didn't vote but if I had I would have voted for Adam.

14. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm wondering how many votes the show actually receives. Does anyone think there's more than 100,000? My guess is less than 50,000 votes per week.

15. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I totally agree with this. I really liked the first two episodes of the show where they showed more of the "behind the scenes" stuff regarding making the movies and the conflict between the directors in getting things done, etc. Once they went to AI, it was pretty lame. I still liked seeing the shorts, but I would have been much more excited about a format that had two episodes per week: one that showed them actually making the movies, and the other that showed the completed products.

16. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Exactly.

Mark Burnett stepped in and claimed a patent on that "reality show process" so FOX had to revamp the show midseason. :eek: :rolleyes: :D :p

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I recorded it onto my non-Tivo player, and watched the NEW parts at 1.5x with sound.. and skipped over the rerun movie parts.

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Except that this IS a Mark Burnett show, which is why we all expected so much more than a lame AI clone.

19. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    :eek: Would've never guessed. :eek:

20. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    And therein lies the problem with this show. You have come to expect a certain level of quality (kind of a misnomer for a reality show, but whatever) with a Mark Burnett produced show and you couldn't tell that he had a hand in this. The biggest problems I had with the show were the host, the judges, the format, and the ********* who can't wear a hat. Other than that, it was interesting.

I think with just a few changes, they could bring this back successfully next summer. Simply change the host and judges, focus just a little more on the process of the film making, and give them all the same script but maybe leave out the ending.