On-screen Clock?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by alyssa, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Oct 2, 2018 #1 of 13
    alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal

Advertisements

I fear i'm dating myself with this question but
    is there an onscreen clock? I'm looking for a constant onscreen clock in the lower right corner. I remember there being one at one point but don't remember if it's been disabled or i need to do the trick to reactivate.

2. Oct 2, 2018 #2 of 13
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, its a toggle on or off.

3. Oct 2, 2018 #3 of 13
    Ky_Shag

Ky_Shag Shaggy Dog

Jan 26, 2012
    Louisville,KY
    SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT

now displays a clock in the upper right corner.
    Make sure you press SELECT once first

4. Oct 2, 2018 #4 of 13
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The onscreen clock will need to be turned back on after every reboot

5. Oct 2, 2018 #5 of 13
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Or you can hit INFO to get the time, and INFO again to clear it. I like to see the time occasionally (have I *really* been watching TV that long?), but don't want a clock on display.

PSU_Sudzi and Mikeguy like this.
  6. Oct 3, 2018 #6 of 13
    Rugged Ron

Rugged Ron Member

Jul 5, 2011
    SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-9-SELECT

now displays a clock in the upper right corner.
    Make sure you press SELECT once first.

You must be in a recorded show to make this work.

7. Oct 4, 2018 #7 of 13
    chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    That's a good solution if all you are interested in seeing is the real-time clock. But I also like to have the elapsed time displayed so that I can keep track of my place in the recording at a glance. It is especially helpful to watch the elapsed-time counter when using skip mode to alert you when you have accidentally "double-skipped" over a segment of the program, which has happened to me upon occasion.

Another handy feature of the clock display is that, since it does not stick following a reboot, its absence will immediately inform you that your device has rebooted recently.

kpeters59 and ClearToLand like this.
  8. Oct 4, 2018 #8 of 13
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Also, be sure you are in 'live tv' when you do this. One time I accidentally did it when I was in a recording and I screwed up something. That was back when Tivo people were knowledgeable and helpful, years ago, so I called them and they got me out of it.

I think, in retrospect, it was probably just a restart but I was afraid to do anything until I knew, so I didn't mess anything up further.

9. Oct 4, 2018 #9 of 13
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Okay. Skipping brings up the status bar so you can tell if you double skipped. And when you reboot, all your tuners go to the same channel.

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Actually, as previously posted, you have to be watching a recording program, not on live tv, to get SPS backdoor to work.

kpeters59 likes this.
  11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Have to claim ignorance, as I don't know what 'SPS backdoor' is. But I've been using the Tivo clock for quite a few years and all I know is that I need to make sure I'm on 'live tv' to put the Tivo clock on my tv screen.

Maybe there is a different way, of which I'm unaware, but I use the 'select, select, play, select, 9, select' always while in live tv.

I wonder if it's different for different models or something (?). I've been doing it since I had my Premieres (S4), and now for the last couple of years with my Bolts (S6). Aside from those, I've only had S2 machines. :)

12. toricred

toricred Member

Mar 8, 2004
    The difference is that when watching a recording you don't need one of the selects at the beginning of the sequence.

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Confirmed that you are correct.