On Becoming a God in Central Florida * SPOILERS *

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Beryl, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    On Becoming a God in Central Florida - Wikipedia
    Seems like something AMC would produce. I so wish it was on one of the services to which I currently subscribe but I might subscribe to Showtime a bit after my 3 months Xfinity compensation is up. It is pretty good — Fargo, Better Call Saul, Good Girls quirkiness.

(Not sure this will be worth episode threads. )

I did laugh at the way hubby died.

2. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Really enjoyed the first two episodes. Very interested to see where it goes. I know the basic idea of the plot for the season, but want to see how it all plays out. Thought Kirsten Dunst did a great job. The hubby dying was totally unexpected. They'd primed us to think he would have an accident due to falling asleep at the wheel because he'd been working so hard. And he did fall asleep and drove his car into the canal. But then when he popped up out of the water and said he was OK, I just figured he was gonna be fine, and then WHAM!!

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Is, umm, this ON AMC? Might have to seek it out.

4. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Showtime

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Oh well, was hopeful

6. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I am a fan of dark comedy and man, oh man, is this DARK!

What is going on with the neighbor/water park boss? Laughing on the outside, crying on the inside? I love Mel Rodriguez-loved him in Getting On (HBO) and The Last Man on Earth-he is perfectly cast here, IMO.

And Kirsten Dunst-WOW! She is doing an amazing job. I am simultaneously crying for her and laughing with her - like when she had Destinee (that's how the closed captioning spelled the baby's name) strapped to her chest as she rode the ATV-while smoking? OMG! Hilarious-Mother of the Year stuff!

Can't wait to see her "become a God!" Go Krystal!

Beryl likes this.
  7. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Looks ok, just watched e1 (…and I saw the alligator coming :))

8. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Alexander Skarsgård is/was Travis! They really uglified him for that role. What a trooper he is to allow that.

Her interaction with the Repo-lady was delightful and hope she recruits her.

I fear it won’t end well for that car salesman. He should have just hired her.

tivotvaddict likes this.
  9. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    That car salesman is a turd, he deserves everything he has coming to him. I hope she recruits him.:D

It's painful to see her recruiting her neighbor/water-park boss who has been a great friend to her.

Also loving Repo-woman. She tries to bring the fun wherever possible.

In the vein of dark comedies, this is off to a great start!

10. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    "Uglified"? Really? I was impressed that the mullet wig was so well done, and Skarsgård did so well with the southern accent. His character's optimistic attitude was contrary to the dark, brooding characters he normally plays, so I was just more impressed with his acting chops. But as far as "uglified", I thought he looked more like a guy from the 80s than the 90s, but he's a handsome dude with a mullet and goatee or with a different haircut. If he was out of shape and had a scraggly long beard and stringy, greasy hair he would qualify as having been "uglified". But this was a young guy with a cute wife (even with the hilarious braces) and, looks-wise, they looked like they were a match for each other.

11. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Still really enjoying the show. At times it seems Krystal is really bought in to using FAM as her way out of poverty. And then we see flashes of her conniving, manipulative side and you realize what she's really up to. But it will be ironic to see her actually achieve success with FAM, even as she tries to expose the company for not being a valid way to reach financial success.

12. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    That's nothing. Just started watching "The Hummingbird Project" (2019 Movie also on Showtime), and it took 30 minutes for me to recognize him:

upload_2019-11-5_20-44-48.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  13. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Wow. I admire actors like this. They seem to be dedicated to their craft.