On an average, how long should a 1 hr show take to trans on a wireless network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by amules2003, Jan 2, 2006.

1. amules2003

amules2003 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I have a new wireless network and seems like the upload time is slow, about an hour to per an hour 1/2 for an hour show? any input.

2. vasilemj

vasilemj Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Using my Linksys WUSB12 adapter (802.11B) it takes about 25-28 minutes to move a 1-hour "basic" quality recording to my computer. The file size is about 742 MB for the 1-hour show.

It would naturally take longer if you recorded in a better quality mode because the file size would be bigger.

3. rb_la

rb_la New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    It's taking me 22 minutes to transfer a 30 minute show in basic quality. I'm using a netgear WG111 to a linksys B wireless router to a B laptop.

4. vasilemj

vasilemj Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    My mistake for not clarifying in my earlier post. While my TiVo is using a wireless adapter, my desktop is wired directly to my router. My transfer speed is about 500KB/sec.

If I recall correctly, before I setup my desktop to be wired directly, it took about realtime to move a 1-hour program over an entirely wireless setup.

5. padmalinowski

padmalinowski New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Madison, WI
    On my home G network the game's the same: 50-60 minutes per 60-minute program in basic quality, 100-110 minutes of medium quality.

Setup: Tivo --> Netgear WG111 ))) D-Link DI-524 G router --> desktop.

I've found that overnight is a great time to do a bunch of transferring...

6. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    I must be doing something wrong then. I transferred a 1 hour show, medium quality, from tivo with wireless Netgear adapter to laptop with built in adapter. I soon as i click Start Transfer the estimated time goes to 6 + hours.....bounces around quite a bit but it did take more than a couple of hours.

Now in contrast, I transferred 9 hours, medium quality, from Tivo with Linksys adatper to PC with Linksys Router, and that probably took about 10-11 hours....

I also found that you cannot transfer 2 shows from the same tivo at the same time....meaning one show to PC and one show to laptop.

7. gumball48124

gumball48124 New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I am having the same problem. My transfer time is 2 1/2 hours for a 1 hour, medium quality show. For some reason, I can only get 1-2 Mbps transfer rate from the Tivo.

Does anyone have a solution to this. The Tivo is new; just install Christmas day.

8. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Quality of the wireless signal has a big impact on Tivo Transfer times. You can try using a different channel and check to see if you have any 2.4Ghz cordless phones that might be causing interference.

I gave up and switched to wired.

9. HoosierTivoDaddy

HoosierTivoDaddy New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Northern IN
    petew, with a wired connection, what are your tranx times like?