Olympics

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by bilbo333, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1 of 27
    bilbo333

bilbo333 New Member

Jan 31, 2006

Advertisements

I am not getting any of the Olympic programming when I search under Olympic or Torino - anyone know the scoop?

2. Feb 2, 2006 #2 of 27
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    The show title is "XX Olympic Winter Games", which might be why you weren't finding it.

Anyway, the opening ceremony should be on your NBC station starting at 8pm Friday the 10th. So you could check the guide for that time / channel if you still have problems finding the programming.

3. Feb 2, 2006 #3 of 27
    bilbo333

bilbo333 New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    AHA! found it - thanks so much!

4. Feb 3, 2006 #4 of 27
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The easy way to find all of the programming is to use a WishList. I created a Category Only WishList for Sports/Olympics. Then you can browse through the select and select what you want to record (or just make it an ARWL and catch everything).

5. Feb 3, 2006 #5 of 27
    DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN

Advertisements

That seems like it will work just fine, but will a season pass work?

I'm not sure if a season pass will grab episodes on other channels? (NBC/MSNBC/CNBC)

6. Feb 3, 2006 #6 of 27
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    im not home now...are you saying there's an actual setting for olympics on the WL selections? cool

7. Feb 3, 2006 #7 of 27
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Season Passes are always channel specific, so a single season pass for NBC would not grab anything from MSNBC or CNBC.

(You could of course create three season passes, one per channel).

8. Feb 3, 2006 #8 of 27
    windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yeah, I stumbled upon that by accident. It's under the Sports category (obviously) and it seemed to catch everything across the three main channels, plus some specials on USA.

9. Feb 3, 2006 #9 of 27
    DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ok so would the best move be to -

1. Auto-record a wishlist for Sports/Olympics, or
    2. Set season passes for the 3 channels

Obviously USA vs Canada Hockey on NBC then on MSNBC later that night should not be a duplicate recording, but I also don't want to record programs like Olympic Ice.

(if that makes sense.. heh)

10. hughvh

hughvh Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Richardson, TX
    I couldn't find an Olympics category. Does it matter that I have a DirecTivo?

11. TiVoSoFine

TiVoSoFine New Member

Mar 19, 2001
    Alpharetta, GA
    I have DirecTivo and I couldn't find the Olympics category either. So I just created a keyword wishlist with "XX Olympic Winter Games" which catches all four channels: NBC, USA, CNBC and MNBC

12. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    You left out an option.

You can have SPs for the three channels you want (actually there are five, but since you can't record Universal HD with a standard SA TiVo or non HD-DTiVo, we'll leave out Universal HD for now) -- AND an auto-record wishlist, so you can tweak the priority for different events.

It's simple enough to go through the To-Do list every day or two and just cancel the recordings of Olympic Ice if you don't want them.

Jan

13. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Sorry, I didn't realize the categories were different between the DTiVos and the SAs.

14. kjnorman

kjnorman Enjoying being a Dad

Jun 21, 2002
    Chicagoland
    Typical! Go figure that the Directv version of TV would be missing categories in the filters..... :rolleyes:

We have a slightly different way to manage the Olympics. We have a DVR2 and a HR10-250. On the SD Tivo, I have set up an auto record wishlish so capture everything. On the HD Tivo, we will record only the HD NBC feed. Instead of season pass or a wishlist I used the program guild from NBC olympics website and set up manual records in 1 hour buckets. That way we can delete of part shows we do not care so much for and keep the stuff we care about until we are able to watch it.

Yes it requires more effort, but I found it allows us to manage limited recording space better.

15. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    Just a quick correction. The keyword search term should be "XX Olympic Winter Games".

16. TiVoSoFine

TiVoSoFine New Member

Mar 19, 2001
    Alpharetta, GA
    That's what I said, I swear. You quoted it wrong. ;)

17. californiaTIVO

californiaTIVO New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    C-Valley
    So no 24 hour HD channel like we had in summer 2004? That would be sweet.

18. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So you actually do both? I'd rather not have to tweak the priority. Right now I just have SPs in this order -

NBC
    USA
    CNBC
    MSNBC

(No auto-recordings)

19. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I said one COULD do both, not that I was doing both. So far I haven't done much at all.

My regular ARWL for "Figure Skating" is picking up all the segments with figure skating in them. I added a separate SP for "Olympic Ice", the daily review show on USA. I haven't figured out yet what else I'm going to record -- it depends on what space I can make on the TiVos.

I will probably toss a tape in the VCR Friday night to record the Opening Ceremonies and just let the tape run for the 6-hour length of the tape.

Anyone who is interested in catching one or two sports in partcular could do a Sports/Olympics and keyword for whatever sport it is, and that will catch all the segments with that sport in the description.

That's the cool thing about TiVo. We can all do whatever we want.

Edited to add: I haven't gone over the schedule yet, so I don't know how many conflicts will arise for people trying to record all four SD networks.

Jan

20. LtKernelPanic

LtKernelPanic Member

Sep 22, 2003
    oooo! Thanks for the tip about the Sports/Olympics Wishlist idea. I just created one of my old Series 1 Tivo. Now to clean out some of the old KUID stuff that I was holding there until I could archive it so it has room to record. Hopefully conflicts will be kept to a minimum so I can use my Series 2 for my normal Tivoing.