Olympics picture pixelation

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Hobbit, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Second breakfast!

Sep 1, 2005
    Durham, NC
    I'm seeing significant picture pixelation, over saturation of bright colors (oranges, reds), sound drop outs, and video freezes when I'm watching the Olympics on NBC. I'm also seeing white outlining around the edges of objects, which looks very odd.

The problems are especially bad when they're showing snow events at night. I don't see the problems on any other programs I'm recording from other channels.

Is this a problem with NBC's signal, DirecTV's transmission, or my DTivo hard drive starting to go bad?

The drop outs and freezes point to the hard disk, but all the pixelation, color saturation, and outlining point to NBC or DirecTV signal problems.

Is anyone else seeing similar problems? Any guesses as to what's wrong?

2. Rax

Rax New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    In a box.
    It was NBC last night. The OTA signal strength on the HD set was 95% and still chunked out. I blame the network. :p

3. EricG

EricG TiVo Junkie

Jan 31, 2002
    The...
    The SD feed is really chunky. The Half Pipe looked Horrible. I haven't checked the HD.

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Second breakfast!

Sep 1, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Yea, the half pipe looks especially horrible. I agree.

I'm both happy and sad that others are seeing the same problems. Happy that it's not my DTivo failing; sad that NBC is screwing up so badly and making the Olympics so hard to watch for everyone.

5. DZB

DZB New Member

Feb 12, 2006
    I am running 6.2. I am getting the slow-mo pixelating during local broadcast tv only. I am watching the Olympics, on my local NBC, the Luge and the half pipe almost un-watchable. Earlier today and Saturday on CNBC and USA networks the Olympic coverage all looked good no slo-mo. Same events same venues. I think what is going on is that Direct Tv has reduced bandwidth for local channels. That's it. Lets get rid of a few shopping and other unwanted channels and put the local bandwidth back to where it should be. We are paying to have the local channels and I want it fixed!!!!!

6. jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I've noticed more local channel problems the past couple of weeks--seems like a show doesn't go by that doesn't have a few pixelation bursts. No problems with non-locals.

But the Olympics--yeah, I agree, but then a friend e-mailed me to say he was having the same problems with it on Dish and OTA!

7. Hoosier_1701

Hoosier_1701 New Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Indianapolis
    I've also been seeing all the same problems you described. I wondered if my dish had gotten out of alignment, because I thought I'd seen some issues on other channels too, but now I'm not sure about that.

I checked my transponder signal strengths, and a few of them are low. I don't know which one my local channels are on though, so I have no idea if that is related. I haven't been watching much on USA or CNBC, so I haven't noticed any problems there.

I glad I'm not alone though.

8. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    No pixelation here, thank goodness, but the oversaturation of the ski jumpers' bright orange suits was pretty spectacular on my SA TiVo. :eek: So the problems aren't confined to your DirecTiVos.

The other really annoying thing was a curious jumping of the picture in the studio segments when the people on-screen are in close-up. I would say it was the same as the jumps between HD and SD that everyone has described, but it can't be -- I'm watching it on an SD TV on analog cable. Very weird.

Jan

9. sg000

sg000 New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Just want to add that Albany NY locals are bad (all of them) with no known problems on the non-locals. Spoke with someone in Orlando, FL the other night and they are seeing pixillation, even complete drops OTA in HD. They don't have cable, so couldn't comment on that.

We finally turned off the TV last night it was so bad. At least I know the curling I record on CNBC tonight will be clean and crisp.

--SG

10. Indiana627

Indiana627 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Vestal, NY
    I've been noticing the same thing. The half pipe was horrible, thought the luge looked OK to me. I wonder if it has anything to do with NBC down-resing the HD signal to SD? Bob Costas' eyes look possessed during his nightly studio coverage.

11. jbuie

jbuie New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I thought it was my DirecTivo until I switched to a basketball game at 8:00 and saw that it was fine.

NBC's (non-HD) signal last night was virtually unwatchable in Raleigh, freezes, skips, pixellation, bad color.

12. nesby

nesby Certified Geek

Feb 7, 2006
    Yup, same problem in Raleigh. I've been having the local channel slo-mo problem for a couple of months now. I'm inches away from heading back to cable.

13. tony17

tony17 New Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Just to jump in because I have DirecTV, Comcast and OTA. I did not check the SD feeds, but can confirm the HD feed on all three (with OTA being slightly better) is absolutely horrible. I think it must be NBC if I am getting this with all of them and I agree it is sad they are ruining the olympics with the poor pic quality. :mad: Oh well....

14. jbuie

jbuie New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Now that's just crazy talk.

:)

15. lalouque

lalouque Quilter-Cat Slave TCF Club

Feb 11, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I feel much better knowing it's not just me. On both my DirecTiVo and SA, I was having horrendous problems with the half-pipe event. Yuck yuck yuck.

16. bamm1956

bamm1956 New Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Bloomington,...
    Like so many others, I'm glad to know that it's not just me. I had noticed pixelation, freezes, skips, etc. mostly on the local channels for a couple of weeks or more. Last night I checked the signal strengths of my two incoming lines and they were both 93% or greater. I called DT* and they said that NBC was having problems and DT* was working on correcting it. They didn't comment on my problems with other local channels. This will definitely make me rethink cable if this continues very much longer.

17. jasoncarr

jasoncarr New Member

May 2, 2002
    Yes, the orange was eyepopping. I wondered if we were seeing some kind of new flourescent technology.

I am usually tolerant of mild pixelation, but we were projecting a 100" image and the pixelation was so bad it started making me nauseated. Weird. Swapped back to the 19" crt and it was ugly but bearable.

BTW, dTiVo+Olympics is a match made in heaven, at least as far as scheduling goes.

18. pauldtaz

pauldtaz New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    I've had pixelation problems on local channels for the last couple of weeks.
    Thought it was my refurbished Hughs unit so I ordered one of the free "blow out" 35 hour units. I got a Phillips unit last week and it had the same problem.
    American Idol graphic breaks almost always Pixelate and then freeze for a second.
    Any spinning zooming graphic is a good candidate for this pixelization freeze problem too.
    I have cable too and the problem isn't usually seen there.
    I had problems with the SuperBowl too with the graphics and panning of the crowd. It looks like a compression decompress problem with the picture.

19. dysartd

dysartd New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    I'd have to agree with pauldtaz, thinking back the past few weeks have seen local channels get pretty bad. It came to a head when watching the halfpipe competition last night. The replays were horrible. I've seen spotty reports in the press of the HD signal going bad, but not much on the SD signal.

FWIW - I can only go on memory, but I know this goes back to at least the Super Bowl. Since I'm seeing this on more than just the local NBC affiliate.

Anyone know what the most "constructive" way to complain to D* is?

20. NCYANKEE

NCYANKEE New Member

Sep 15, 2002
    I thought I was going crazy with the pixelization, but I see I'm not alone. Several others in Raleigh, along with all across the country. I hate to ask this, but are people on cable having the same issue. Have people seen this directly from D* if they are not using a TIVO with their broadcast? What about on---dare I say it---cable? Are they having the same issues?

The scenes with snow are really bad, particularly the halfpipe. You'd think they'd know ahead ot time that snow scenes would cause problems. It is the winter olympics after all!