Olympics in HD... any details yet?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ebonovic, Jan 18, 2006.

1. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Any details yet on how NBC is handling the HD this year...

Any chance that the SD and the HD will be matched up at all?
    Aka, we don't get Today's results tomorrow like we did with the Summer Olympics.

In Universal HD offer additional coverage in HD (as compared to the NBC HD coverage)

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6416846.html

For the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy, the network is simulcasting its coverage in HD, meaning that the HD broadcasts are as live as the standard-def broadcasts and will use the same cameras, graphics, and announcers (the SD coverage will actually be downconverted from HD cameras). NBC specified that it plans a total of 416 hours of coverage, much of which will be available in HD, including hockey, figure skating, and speed skating, as well as most skiing events, such as ski jumping. Events that won't receive the HD treatment, due to lack of HD cameras and production equipment at the event facilities, include some skiing events, curling, and luge (too bad--the luge helmet cam in HD would be sweet).

Full schedule: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10792454/

3. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    But could you imagine the size of the HD Luge helmet cam....

And that is just what we need HD Snoozefest (I mean curling)...

Announcer: Look you can see the particles of ice fly off their brooms...

:)

But this is great news... I did some looking on www.nbcolympics.com

Looks like Universal HD is also in the plans for some of the additional coverage.

416 Hours... Gosh... Even a 1 TB HR10-250 wouldn't even make a dent in that (from an HD), but a 1 TB SD should be able to hold it all....

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I still have hundreds of gigabytes of HD footage from the last two Olympics that I will never watch. I have several Terabytes of HD that I really need to just erase and sell my hard drives.

5. forecheck

forecheck Active Member

Aug 5, 2000
    Roseville, CA
  6. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    Our local NBC (O&O) engineer has said that most NBC station are trying to get their equipment upgraded by the Olympics, as well, and the upgrade is supposed to make the picture pretty sweet.

7. LarryInAz

LarryInAz TiVo-holic since '99

Jul 14, 2000
    Phoenix, Az
    Let's hope NBC has more than just one sponsor or at least more than one single commercial ala Sony spot during the Summer Olympiad. :(

8. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    nbc needs to drop those sub channels so we can get good signal :)

9. TheBigDogs

TheBigDogs Member

Oct 14, 2004
    In all probability, we'll get high flying views of the Greek coast and countryside with Italian music in the background.

10. miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv New Member

Sep 29, 2005
  11. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Hey! Speak for yourself! What's so bad about a sport that lets you multitask and get in a good nap while watching :) Seriously, I really got into curling last time, am a bit bummed that it won't be in HD, not so much because I need to see particles of ice in particular, but just on genaral principle - I hate having to watch anything in SD these days.

12. bdlucas

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Upgraded in what way? At first I thought you meant upgraded for HD, but your last sentence seems to imply to me a better HD picture in some way.

13. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    One thing that'd be nice is to get rid of the requirement some idiot stay awake to flip switches at every commercial break. ;)

14. bdlucas

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    :up:

15. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    HDTVs may be typically larger than SD TVs, but HD cameras are about the same size as SD cams if not smaller, so I don't get it.

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I think it's wild to sit there and and figure out what the little broom will do and why they do what they do. It's part of the sport

17. Uther

Uther King of Britons

Dec 21, 2001
    Chandler, AZ
    Oh no! I need curling in HD! :(

;)

18. bdlucas

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Helmet cams and such I think are highly miniaturized so that they don't interfere with the athlete or whatever. Have HD cameras been miniaturized to the point that SD cameras have?

For example, to bring this back on topic :), could an HD camera be placed in a curling stone?

19. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    My Logitech QuickCam Orbit MP is 1.3 Megapixels and including 2-axis motors and USB interface, is entirely housed in a 2 inch sphere. From what I can tell the camera itself is on a 1" x 1/2" PC board with a lens attached to it, and that plugs into another 1"x1" PC Board that's probably some support electronics for the USB interface and motor control.

You can buy the thing for under $100.

In other words, I'm sure they could have HD helmet cams if they wanted HD helmet cams.

20. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    Id even do PPV for that!!!! :)