OLED burn in?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ness282, Jul 15, 2019.

1. ness282

ness282 New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    I imagine quite a few people have oleds connected to their tivos. Anyone have any issues with a paused scene causing burn in? Will leaving something paused for 30 minutes be a problem? An hour? Two? Anyone had anything like that happen?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    While you will have a few members jump in and say how horrible their burn in experiences have been, the majority of people do not have issues, even with older OLEDs.
    However the general rules apply, don't leave static images, especially if you've turned off screen dimming, but the majority of users get burn in from static logos on channels they work constantly, but I still wouldn't risk it by leaving a paused recorded program on for hours.

DocNo and NashGuy like this.
  3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I have a unit running TE4 connected to an old plasma, and the only burn-in it has is actually the Tivo logo from TE4's upper left corner.

But yeah, vast majority of people won't have a problem as long as there's good mixed usage.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  4. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Half hour/1/2 hour typically will produce image retention. A temporary issue. Hours and hours per day of the same channel logo or ticker tape-like things can cause permanent burn-in.

5. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Yep my LG B6 went to the trash heap so to speak with BurnIn after 6 months.. I have a Sony X930E for now until I see some better feedback. I am not willing to babysit my TV and various family members.

6. XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    When I stop a show I hit the left and back up one frame so the position in the recording is removed since that is always there when you hit pause no matter what is in frame. I try not to go more than 15 min and have not had issues.

7. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    I watch CNBC for HOURS and HOURS, I have the ticker tape burn in.... I have told CNBC about it But they don't do anything about it.
    This pic was taken back in 2014, It is much worse now

Attached Files:

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
  9. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Yeah, you are far more likely to get burn in from the cable news channels that have the consistent banners at the bottom. TiVo will revert back to live tv Once the 30 minute buffer has been used up. The banner on CNBC, CNN, et al, will sit in the same place for hours on end all day - a much bigger risk.

10. DFranch

DFranch New Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Why doesn't TiVo dim the screen after a few minutes (when on the menu, or while the video is paused) to prevent burn in. I can't believe it would be difficult to implement. It's one of the reasons I've held off on getting an OLED TV, I'm worried about the TiVo menu burning in.

ClayKY likes this.
  11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    A Tivo menu can't/won't burn-in ever, after 15 minutes it drops to Live TV.
    The ONLY time a Tivo displays a static image is when you pause a recording and walk away.
    LG OLEDs also dim after about 5 minutes of static image.

12. seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Why leave it paused for that long anyway. Just go back to Live TV and come back to it if you are going to be away that long.
    I have one of the first plasma TV's ever made and back then they said they would burn in. 15 years later it in basement still running & has no burn in. Its overhyped. It only extreme situations. Plus todays tv's have software to move the image a pixel left, right, etc to prevent that.