Oldest Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by RichardJH, Sep 25, 2007.

1. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Who has the oldest Tivo is it Pete :eek: :D :D :p

2. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    [Oops. Never mind. I'm on the wrong side of the pond]

-MM

3. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Its having the lowest Tivo Service Number that counts for the purpose of this discussion. That is we are trying to find who has the earliest UK Tivo units built rather than the earliest units purchased or subbed (with account number being the decider for the latter point and many early production units not being subbed for a long time for various reasons like being in a warehouse or a store demonstrator).

My Tivo Service Number is:-

023-0000-601E-3???

Hmmm but thinking about hexadecimal numbering there ought to be some 601Es with the next character of the last four character block as a 1. Unless of course they didn't start off at 601E-1???. Either way 601E-3??? is sure to have been fairly early on in the production sequence.

Can anyone quote a 601E unit with the first digit of the last four characters being lower than 3 in hexadecimal terms.

Was the potential Service Number forgery angle why it was in fact impossible to run this contest successfully in the past?

4. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Now we can all clone pete's lifetime sub.... better edit one digit out there pete !

5. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Good point although perhaps better if you had PM'ed me. Last three digits changed to???. That means there are 4096 possible different combinations to complete the Service Number.

Obviously if a determined hacker had enough time they could still come across valid Service Numbers with Lifetime Subs though by going through the sequence one by one. Especially as around 50% of units have a Lifetime Sub................

6. aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    Oldest TiVo for the UK?

Quite possibly me actually though its no longer in use as it now can't download any valid data (even though it still thinks it can when I try to connect it to a phone line and still thinks it's a life timer).

It is a specially modified Philips TiVo with a special UK subscription/software designed for a BBC open day back in 1998 (and surrounding research project) and continued to work for quite a while afterwards.

It still tells me it has a lifetime subscription (though no real data downloads since around early 2000 have worked). It only has 12.5GB drive but can still record time based recordings the last time I tried a couple of years ago (NTSC only until I hacked it).

the oldest Uk TiVo? ;) Quite possibly me, but probably not a GENUINE UK TiVo so I eliminate this entry from the competition :)

Oh, and if anyone's askking about serial numbers, it bears no relation to the ones used by the proper UK TiVos too.

7. aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    ... as to being the earliest UK user of a proper UK TiVo... also probably close to the starting line as I was part of the group asked to test 'em before they were released into the wild :)

Still - I was appalled when I went out on launch day and realized, despite TiVo's pamphlets and publicity to the shops, how ill informed the sales people in the limited number of shops were as to the silver box with no knobs on it, let alone where you were supposed to put the DVD/video tape...

Oh the memories...

8. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I do remember your converted American demo model Tivo now you come to mention it.

But to clarify the competition is only for genuine Thomson PVR10UK Tivo units with service numbers in the format 023-0000-60??-????

9. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Training at DSG Retail Ltd stores does seem to have improved quite considerably over the last 7 years and quite a few of the staff even seem to known an XD card from a USB socket these days. :eek:

I'm less sure there has been any significant improvement at Comet despite the greater thoroughness one might expect to have come about due to its new ownership and the bold claims made for the said extra training in a tv ad campaign following the change of parent company to Germany.

10. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Really? So it's good training that makes them reckons a laptop is outside it's warranty for a broken hinge when someone installs linux? Or that a laptop *bag* breaking after a week is due to someone having a laptop that uses Mac OSX not Windows...?

11. SRB

SRB New Member

Mar 26, 2003
    Me too - I remember being quite sad when the "test unit" had to go back and was replaced by the bog standard "on sale now" unit.

12. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    I have a lifetime subscription TiVo, stashed in my loft, TiVo UK sent to my friend "for testing/gift" who was involved in TiVo UK hardware development. The boxes courier label states posting date of 20th September 2000. This TiVo has two drives. The reason I have it, is his house suffered a lightning strike a year or two ago, taking out the modem. Works fine using a cache card.

My TiVo was purchased 30th November 2000 with lifetime a subscription letter dated 6th January 2001. (Did you get 30days grace in those days ?).

My TiVo is on its 2nd PSU and 3rd set of drives !!!

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    No you only had 7 days on the grace subscription period but I think it took them a number of weeks to send the subscription letter and it was dated for the day it was sent.

Or may be it took you a month to be convinced that a Lifetime Sub was worthwhile and you initially took a Monthly Sub?

14. jrg

jrg New Member

May 26, 2002
    London, UK
    A friend, Tom, does have an early UK engineering unit I believe (without the finished consumer packaging). But he worked at TiVo UK. I daresay others who worked there with him have some early units too.

15. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    Nope I was convinced instantly and got lifetime subscription a couple days after getting my TiVo home.

16. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Or that leaves them refusing to take back a laptop the next day after it was purchased and that claimed to have WIFI but only did so by way of a PCMCIA card that occupied its single USB socket when the box was actually opened.

To be fair a lot of those issues are down to commercial ruthlessness by the old senior management of PC World (who bizarrely had a different returns policy from Currys stores which more or less took anything back up to 28 days even if opened). I totally agree they were that bad 3 years ago plus and I have had personal experience of it but I have found lately (last 6 to 12 months) that they no longer seem to employ really stupid staff and have encountered several more helpful and informed employees.

Perhaps I am basing it on a very positive experience at their Fulham store the another night where after shutting at 8pm they made no effort to force anyone to leave and let me go on browsing before buying goods at 8.10pm.

I am historically the world's biggest critic of DSG Retail Ltd but I think they have made recent efforts to improve because apart from anything else the public is a lot more informed about computer goods these days so employing total thickheads suited only suited to MacDonalds will no longer do. Of course the average bloke in the street knows a lot more about computers now so perhaps that is why their staff seem more informed these days, even though DSG Retail itself has made no extra efforts with training.

17. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Nobody else seems to be mentioning the Service Number of their units though minus the last 3 characters.

18. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Comet staff are no better today.
    I was looking at a 3 x handset dect phone system.

Staff offered help and I said I have one question...
    Does it have a central phonebook so if you enter the name in one handset all three will see it?

Answer - "Certanly Sir"

Guess what...

It did not :(

Re Tivo age at http://www.btinternet.com/~morlocks/html/tivo.htm is my first thoughts of my first Tivo uploaded on 22/10/2000

Automan.

19. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I'm surprised you didn't take it back for a refund judging by how underwhelmed you were with the initial 1.5.1 Tivo software release.

It makes one realise how much of an improvement 2.5.5 + Endpad actually is.

20. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    I can understand that a lot of salespeople didn't understand the difference, but I still wonder at the person in Comet who printed up the shelf cards to say that you get several free tapes with each TiVo. :)

I can't beat late-adopter Pete with my 601E model number, but then I did buy the first one into the Reading branch of Dixons, sometime in October 2000.