Old TiVo user thinking of coming back

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by srauly, Sep 27, 2008.

1. srauly

srauly Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Simsbury,...

Advertisements

I'm hoping you all can help me with your opininons. I'm an old-time TiVo user who has been using the cable company's DVR for quite some time, largely because the cost seemed prohibitive when I took into account the fact that my cable company wouldn't lease the cablecards, but only sell them for about $100. Now I'm moving again and will have Comcast as my cable company. I could use their DVR, which will likely work much like my current DVR, or I could go back to TiVo goodness for a bit of a premium. A couple of questions:

1) If given the choice between a new (or likely refurbished) HD TiVo vs a Comcast DVR (Comcast TiVo is not available in my new area), do you think the HD TiVo at a premium is worth it?

2) I've got a stack of old TiVo's, two of which are Series 2 standard-def TiVo's. Are these things worth bringing along and activating as secondary units? Is there any way to add these as secondary units without being locked in for a year (at least for these secondary units)? If not, might I be better off just buying a new/refurbished Series 2 (which likely has more capacity) or refurb HD unit?

Thanks!

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    1. If you mean the plain TiVo HD model, yes. The TiVo HD-XL, no. Of course, you know that it doesn't do two way services.

2.Perhaps yes, for overflow recording of SD stuff, and for transferring SD programming to another set. There is unfortunately, no way to subscribe one for less than a year. Keep in mind the commitment (if other than Product Lifetime, which I wouldn't put on an old TiVo anyways) is for the account not the box, so if one box fails, you can easily swap in another on the same account, continuing the commitment.

Also, is is most often the HDD that fails, and that is an easier fix, plus you can upgrade the capacity.

The current Series 2DT units only have an 80GB drive (80 Hr Basic quality). If I was going to buy a new TiVo for cable, I'd skip that for a TiVo HD.

What I would do, is activate one of the Series 2s (yes with commitment), get a TiVo HD, and buy Product Lifetime for it. I'd then upgrade the HDDs in them.

3. srauly

srauly Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Simsbury,...
    Thanks for your suggestion. At this point, I'm planning to take my 2nd gen TiVo's with me and donate the others to the Salvation Army (if they'll take them). The others consist of a 1st gen Philips unit and two 1st gen DirecTiVo units.

Can you (or anyone) tell me whether there's any ability to share TV shows between a 2nd gen standard-def TiVo and an HD TiVo?

Thanks,

Scott

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, you can, for SD programs not recorded with copy protection. The TiVos involved must be subscribed, and on the same account. It goes without saying they have to be Standalones.

5. eyelovemychevy

eyelovemychevy New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Southern...

Advertisements

You can transfer if the shows are in SD format between both dvrs. Or anything recorded on the SD can be trasfered to the HD.

6. srauly

srauly Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Simsbury,...
    Thanks again. I'm looking at TiVo's site and having trouble finding out what my monthly charge would be for additional units. I believe it used to be that I could pay something like $12.95/month for the first box, and $6.95/month for each additional box. Is that still true or would I need to commit and pay the full monthly/annual price for all of the boxes (including the ones I already own)? If so, I'm thinking that might be another reason to either go with Comcast's DVR's, or buy two HD TiVo's and not bother activating my old TiVo's.

7. eyelovemychevy

eyelovemychevy New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Southern...
    It used to 6.95 for each additional box but now it is 9.95 with a one year contract I believe. If you plan on having the boxes for a while then the lifetime would be the best bet. I always do lifetime because I hate recurring fees.

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The current monthly MSD cost is $9.95/month, $99.95/year, $299.95 Product Lifetime. The primary box (for accounting purposes, it doesn't need to be the one you primarily will use), is $12.95/month, $129.95/year/$399.95 Product Lifetime. There are also 2 and 3 year prepay options I believe.

It doesn't matter if you already own the boxes or buy them new, the commitment to have them subscribed is one year for any box, but you can move the subscription (except Product Lifetime) to another box.

9. srauly

srauly Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Simsbury,...
    Thanks again to both of you. After posting my last message I did some searching in the forums here and found the same answers you provided. In one of the threads I read, I also saw that Costco was selling the HD unit for $219, but not all stores stocked it. I just checked Costco's website and I see the HD unit, but for $279. Anyone have any recent Costco experience on this? I'd be willing to pay a small ($40) premium over the refurb box to get a new box from Costco with Costco's "lifetime" return policy, but I'd probably opt for the refurb if the new box from Costco was $100 more.

At this point, I am now thinking about going with two HD units with lifetime service (for movie room and master bedroom), and possibly activating one of my older units as a 3rd unit for my daughter.

10. Ely105

Ely105 New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    I just switched back from a comcast DVR to a TivoHD refurbished. I hated the UI on the comcast and I don't think the tivo version will help much. I really enjoy my tivo again after several years away. I do feel that the unit is a little overloaded sometimes. I think the only disappointment for me is the speed at which I can transfer recordings off the unit. Since I tend to record a lot of HD, the transfer speed doesn't quite keep up so well. I have been using tivo desktop to offload programs and it seems that a program usually takes 1.5-2x to transfer.

I upgraded my tivo to 2TB, which give me 292 hours of HD space (or 2500+ SD hours) which is great so I don't have to be prudent at watching programs or I can save some movies or other shows without having to delete them.

I do like the ability to download web videos, and some of the amazon functionality. I wish it was compatible with netflix streaming as I am a member and sometimes have to use my PC for that.

All in all it's good to be back with tivo...

11. srauly

srauly Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Simsbury,...
    OK, I'm back with a couple of new questions...

1) If I decide to activate one of my 2nd gen TiVo's, I could then buy a refurb HD TiVo and switch the subscription over to it, correct?

2) Is anyone aware of any special deal that a returning TiVo user can get when re-activating an old TiVo? I see that they are offering 3 months free with a pre-paid annual subscription when purchasing a new unit. I'm hoping I could get 3 months free or perhaps a discounted monthly rate, or something. I figured that before I called and tried to haggle with them, that I would check here first.

12. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    For #2, I am not aware of any special deals for re-activating accounts. For #1, be aware that refurbs sold by TiVo.com require the purchase of service at the same time as the purchase of the equipment. They are only sold bundled together. If you can obtain a used HD from another source (ebay, etc.) you can activate it by either swapping its TSN for one already active under your account, or adding it as a new unit to your account.

13. srauly

srauly Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Simsbury,...
    That's good to know, thanks. I suppose it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world to keep an older 2nd gen unit and a new HD unit active. Unfortunately, I'm bummed that they won't give me any special deals. I just called TiVo and I guess I'm out of luck. It also appears that the one-year (with 3 free months) rate is only when you buy a new unit.

14. srauly

srauly Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Simsbury,...
    Well I just did it. I called and ordered a refurbed HD TiVo and was able to have my older TiVo act as a secondary unit, so that I could at least get that activated (today) at the discounted $99/year rate.

Thanks for everyone's help.

15. dotorg

dotorg New Member

Jul 3, 2000
    I just did this myself -- went from Tivo to Comcast's boxes when I replaced my TVs with HD sets. Tivo didn't have an HD option at the time.

Went with Comcast's Tivo service at the start of this year. Suffered through it until five days ago. Five days ago my 14th Motorola box bricked itself with the infamous "crazy eights" problem the Tivo software causes, lost all my shows and scheduled recordings for the 14th time and it was cancel Comcast entirely and steal my TV from the Internet or switch back to Tivo.

Two new refurbed Tivo HDs are showing up tomorrow and Wednesday these Comcast boxes are going back and the two M-cards are showing up.

I'm hoping I don't regret going this route, but it killed me going from Tivo to the crappy Comcast stuff four years ago, and it was really nice to have the HD support even if it wasn't "really" Tivo for the last year.

Previously I had two series 1's (heavily hacked, back when that entailed a lot of manual work and hardware hacks) and a series 2.