Old Tivo Toss

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by geekserver, Nov 17, 2011.

1. geekserver

geekserver New Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Tucson
    Here is what I currently have

Series 3 - lifetime
    series 4 - annual
    Series 2dt - lifetime (thank you $99)
    series 2dt - lifetime (thank you $99)
    Series 2dt - Monthly (it was $33 on ebay and came with the wirless adapter)
    Series2 - collecting dust
    Series 2 - collecting dust

I have 2 40 gig TCD540 tivo's that are collecting dust(please see above) ...the old gray looking single tuners that I have not used in years ! ....I wanted to put them up on ebay but it seems no one wants to buy one with out life time on it ...so I was wondering if any one has any recommendations on what to use it for if anything ...I am at a point where I really dont want to donate it to charity cause I would like some money out of it (even if its $10) ....or maybe give it to a member here so long as they are willing to pay for shipping ...

So I guess my Question is ...what does every one do with their OLD working tivo's that do not have any service on them ? I am open to suggestions as to what to do ...or what you do with your old TIVO's

BTW would'nt it be neat if Tivo had a recycle program where you send them your old Tivo and they apply a $50 credit towards a new Tivo ...the max you can trade/recycle in are 2 tivo's ...just a thought IMHO

Just an FYI none of the Series 3 or the series 4 or the Series 2DT are for sale !!! its the TCD540 (old gray series 2 model) that this post is about 11-22-11 I have gotten multiple offers for my series 3 and S2DT etc ...those are not for sale !

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I have several obsolete TiVos I don't use, once I watch the programming on each, no idea what I will do with them. A trade-in with any real value won't happen, there is no market for them and just waiting and getting the best deal on a new TiVo without trade-in is a better option.

3. geekserver

geekserver New Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Tucson
    yeah

just would be nice if there was some way to utilize them ...besides as a standalone vcr ...which I dont think you can do with teh TCD64 models (dual tuners)

4. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    You can put perimeters cams around your home???

5. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Yeah. Combine with a switcher and you can record 4 cameras in sequence (I happen to have one. AND an IP adapter.)

I have also have two S2DTs with service, too. I'm going to put them on the cable UVerse to collect SD content for a while.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The power supplies should be worth $15 - $25 each on ebay
    People may even be willing to pay a good price for the plastic tivo man on the front bezel.

I've been thinking I should remove and sell the power supplies from my 540 and 240, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

7. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I'd like to know how to do this, but can't find any info about how to do this easily. I have an older single tuner Series 2 not being used.

8. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    We did somethign similar with our girls when they were babies. Each had a video monitor. Instead of carrying around the handset, we plugged the handsets (RCA jacks) into an RF modulator (one that you can select a channel).
    That was connected to coax in the room.

The incoming cable from the road had a notch filter to block out channels 70-79.

This signal combined with the 2 signals from the cameras get disributed throughout the house.

Just tune to channel 76 for Abigail or 77 for Brynley on any TV.

Now you combined signal from security cameras could be 1 channel (a 4 camera matrix) that the TiVo could record. That would be additional hardware but still cool.

The rf modulators were around 15 each and 5-6 for the notch filter.

9. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    As much as I hate to add to my stack, I'll take the S2DTs with lifetime service off your hands because I have friends still using VCRs I'd set up with them. Lemme know by PM what you'll take.

I have S3s with lifetime to part with soon.

10. dirk1843

dirk1843 I'm your huckleberry

Jul 7, 2003
    Northeast...
    I too would be interested in S2s or S3s with lifetime.

Send me a PM.

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Try selling them on Craig's list.

12. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I've got some original SD DirecTiVos out in the garage my MIL finally gave back to me. I can't bring myself to toss them in the recycling. I suppose I could pull the HDD, but I don't recall that they are very large... In other words, they are doorstops. :p

13. geekserver

geekserver New Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Tucson
    I tried the craigs thing for $10 each OBO and no one even emailed

I even suggested to Tivo to start a recycling program.

if any one wants it here please let me know ...all I ask is the person pay for shipping cost.

14. geekserver

geekserver New Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Tucson
    Im missing the tivo sticker on both :(

15. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    about a year ago i was able to sell several series 2's without service for 70 bucks with shipping. when you put them up let people know it works with satellite providers

16. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I think maybe Unitron did it. You might ask him. (They might have been S1s, though.)

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well I have the following:

1. Premiere with lifetime -2TB upgrade
    2. TiVo HD with lifetime - 2TB upgrade
    3. Series 3 HD with lifetime
    4. Series 2 Humax T-800 with lifetime - 300 GB upgrade. This is my only full priced subscription and qualifies me for future MSD
    5. Series 2 TiVo 540 300 GB upgrade unsubbed
    6. Series 2 TiVo 540 - never subbed or used still new in box. Bought it "just in case" I needed parts off eBay before I went HD.
    I really only need 2 HD TiVos so I guess I could get rid of 4 of them. Likely never will.

18. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Don't have any perimeter cameras.

What you may be thinking of is my trick of doing guided setup and lying about having satellite in order to activate the line inputs.

I say Direct TV 'cause that gives me a channel 1, so to switch to the line inputs you just tune to channel 1.

As far as I know this requires actually having a subscription on that TiVo, though.

I don't know if it would keep working if you subbed it for a month, ran GS, and then cancelled the next month, or not.

The good news seems to be that pre S4s can be subbed by the month without a commitment anymore, so if you already have a full price one that gives you MSD, the experiment will only cost you $9.95