Old Show Playback Stalls

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by whboyd, Feb 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. whboyd

whboyd Member

Oct 23, 2016
    SE US

Advertisements

I have just about every Rick Steves travel episode on my TiVo. They date back to 2011, having been migrated from TiVo to TiVo as I've upgraded. Lately I discovered that some but not all of the shows from 2011 and 2013 stall at about the 11 minute mark when I play them back. Transferring them to a Roamio Pro gives me the same situation. Using CTiVo to transfer them to a Mac gives me a show that ends at about the stall point.

After a frustrating series of phone calls to TiVo support where they had me try different things, none of which helped, they've given up and told me that those shows are corrupt. As you can imagine, I'm serious disappointed with this. Those shows are no longer being broadcast. I could watch them from the Rick Steves Web site, but I'd rather have my own copies.

Has anyone else seen this?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. whboyd

whboyd Member

Oct 23, 2016
    SE US
    Thanks for the information. It's too bad the TiVo customer support person couldn't find this information and give it to me instead of wasting a large amount of my time with the other steps in their cookbook.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that helps me all that much. I still have a Roamio Pro that I'm using, but it has dozens of shows on it that I'm not willing to erase, which I would have to do in order to downgrade the Roamio.

4. whboyd

whboyd Member

Oct 23, 2016
    SE US
    I posted this on my "support case": "It seems that this is a problem that TiVo has known about for 2 1/2 years:TiVo is working on a fix for transferred shows that freeze while playing It's too bad your customer support people weren't able to find this information and give it to me instead of wasting a lot of my time having me try a number of things from their support "cookbook". Not only is this a support failure, it shows that TiVo's quality control people aren't doing a good enough job in that they missed discovering this problem during their testing."

The email reply I got would be humorous if it weren't so pathetic: "I'm sorry to hear your TiVo is behaving this way. This can indicate a problem with the hardware."

5. whboyd

whboyd Member

Oct 23, 2016
    SE US

Advertisements

I replied on my support case: "This is a good example of what's wrong with TiVo customer support: They don't pay any attention to what the customer is saying. As a result, the advice they give is worthless."

I got this reply: "All applicable steps have been provided as per checking your transactions with us about the same issue. You may double check it by proceeding with Technical Phone Customer Support at 877-367-8486, for advance resolution. We look forward to hearing from you."

I'm giving up on pursuing this with TiVo. They sent me a "Customer Satisfaction Survey". I doubt that the offered rating numbers will go low enough to truly reflect how I feel about the quality of TiVo's support.