Old School: Suggestions for recording analog over the air broadcasts?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cheezus, Aug 23, 2007.

1. cheezus

cheezus New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    E of MT, W...
    It's been a while since I've watched any broadcast TV; our boob-tube fix has been coming in the form of tv series from Netflix. Cable/Sattelite are no longer cost effective, now that it's not included in the rent (the joys of home ownership -- $42/mo for BASIC CABLE? Nuts to that!). The Series 2 with lifetime got sold on eBay.

Anyhoo, I picked up some rabbit ears from the Goodwill this afternoon. I get one channel pretty well, and 3 more not so well. Now that there's a tv source, I pulled the old un-subbed (but with a sw version that allows manual scheduled recordings) series 1 out of storage.

Here's my problem: Sometimes TiVo refuses to tune in a station, instead giving me the blue can't display live tv screen. Frustratingly, this will happen even when the channel had just been coming in nice and clear (ie, switching from channel 6 to 8 back to 6).

I've played with the RF smoothing (off seems to look marginally better), and after a lot of experimentation, I think i've found the best spot for my rabbit ears. Any other suggestions on how I can get the tuner to reliably tune in my one good station?

2. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Since you own your home a roof antenna would be the best bet, but this may be more trouble than you are looking for. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. It has been my experience that TiVo seems to require a stronger signal source then the TV does to be able to tune a channel. The upshot if you do decide to go the roof antenna route is that you should be able to get those other 3 channels (and maybe more) pretty clear.

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    The current software version is irrelevant. What matters is when it was manufactured.

4. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I'm pretty sure basic, local channels only cabletv was about $12/month.

5. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Radio shack (among other places) sell amplifiers that would probably help your Tivo with its OTA reception. I had to use one at my old home on my cable line to improve picture quality.