OLD Philips TIVO New Problem: No Phone

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Laserfisher, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 #1 of 52
    Laserfisher

Laserfisher New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    What do I need to get my Philips PTV100 / HDR112 to work over the internet? Will Magicjack work? Will Skype work? I gave up my land line when my Security Service offered Wireless, I forgot my old TIVO still used dial-up. My other three DIRECTV boxes connect right up to the router. Duh... Help!

2. Oct 4, 2010 #2 of 52
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
  3. Oct 4, 2010 #3 of 52
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Forget VOIP.

Two options:
    1. Serial PPP, through the serial port (can be USB serial adapter) on internet connected PC.

2.Get a Turbonet or Cachecard installed. They have Ethernet jacks on them, but you have to open the lid to install. The Cachecard requires drivers be installed IIRC.

4. Oct 5, 2010 #4 of 52
    Laserfisher

Laserfisher New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Many Thanks to both of you!

5. bosanci28

bosanci28 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    so how this will work exactly with majicjack?

can you put some links to those items that we need?

thanks,

6. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I think the point here is "forget voip", which includes majicjack. In other words, the solutions discussed do not use magicjack.

7. bosanci28

bosanci28 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    thanks for that advice!
    i guess ,because i dont have a regular landline in my home,
    then i may have to just sell my series 1 w/lifesub and get maa used one series 2 with lifesub.

on the series 2 we dont need the phone line anymore?,it connects to the Ethernet port? for updates?

thanks friend

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If you have Magic Jack, it would be presumed you have a modern Windows PC and a broadband Internet connection, presumably with a cable or DSL modem, and router.

For the case of Turbonet, you would just connect it to your router same as any other network device.

For the case of Serial PPP, you just connect up the serial port on the TiVo (called control port, the port below the IR blaster jack), to the serial port on your computer. You need to modify some files on the computer though, and depending on your skills , may need adapters and extensions, or build from scratch.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The serial jack is on top, the IR jack is on the bottom.

At least on the stand alone S1s and S2s.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Member

Feb 12, 2002
    I-L
    Feels like a million years ago when I put my Turbo card into my S1. Worked right out of boot IIRC. You'll have to string your ethernet cable out of a vent or something because there's no external port, of course.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you remove the fan, there's an opening the right size and shape to pass an RJ-45 plug through, and once you do, the cable through that hole leaves enough room to re-install the fan.

While you've got the fan out, peel back the label on the non-blade side and re-lubricate. Use a mixture of sewing machine oil and light grease.

12. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I lifted up the center screw tab that holds the top part of the case to the bottom to run the ethernet cable out and then put one of those couplers that allow me to plug a longer ethernet cable in. Internally, I used a couple of tie wraps to provide strain relief for the ethernet cable (attached to the left-hand hard drive frame). I use an older Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT firmware in client/bridge mode to provide a wireless connection.

As for PPP, there are many threads here and elsewhere on the web if you are looking for a cheaper route. I finally got it to work (as an experiment) using my netbook, an unmodified Tivo serial cable, and a serial to USB converter cable. The netbook runs XP but I also got it working on a desktop when it ran Vista. Have not tried it since I switched over to WIN7.

13. bosanci28

bosanci28 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    do you have any pics? the way you did it?

and i am curios if let say i install that card and then a very short ethernet cable to the tivo wall,but i wanted to know if is there any adapter that i can attach to the wall ,so if i ever need to move the tivo just to unplug it from outside!

i have ordered one of those turbonet cards,so i am getting ready for whatever i need to install!

also after plugin the turbonet card do i need to do anything else to make it work?
    or is just plug and play?

thanks!

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Probably the easiest thing for you to do is get a short ethernet cable, plug on end into the jack on the turbonet card and run the other out the hole I mentioned in my "take the fan out temporarily" suggestion, and then plug that end into an RJ-45 coupler and run another cable from the coupler to your router.

Check Staples, Lowes, Home Depot, or an actual computer store if one's available for the coupler.

If your TiVo is running some version of version 3 of the software, the latest and no doubt the last upgrade, then having your router set up to give it a DHCP IP address and putting the right string in the dialing prefix part of the phone settings should work with no problem.

That particular dialing prefix tells it to use ethernet instead of the internal modem.

The prefix is:

,#401

That's a total of 5 characters, no spaces between them.

Google "TiVo external modem", read about

15. bosanci28

bosanci28 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    ok,thanks friend,will wait for the turbonet to arrive.

thanks....

16. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If you send me your e-mail address I will send you pictures of how I have my Turbonet card installed and how the cable is run. Just click on my user name in this post and it will give you the option to send me an e-mail.

17. bosanci28

bosanci28 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    pm sent,thanks!!!

18. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    On a Series One, the fan snaps in place, and therefore unsnaps, no screwdrive involved. Unsnapping it reveals a keystone shaped hole through which an ethernet plug can go.

Once the plug has gone through the hole, trailing the ethernet cable behind, the fan can be snapped back in place without crushing or harming the cable, and you don't have to bend any screw tabs or anything else on what, on the Series 1s, is a pretty heavy duty case.

19. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    On my Series 1 I didn't need to remove the fan to feed the cable through the hole that is normally hidden by the top center case screw. Just bent up the screw tab on the top case to get it out of the way.

20. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    With my method

1. You don't have to bend anything,

2. You should take the fan out and re-lube it, anyway,

3. You can put all the screws back in, and

4. You don't have to damage or modify the case in any way.

Besides, those S1 cases are pretty heavy gauge.