Old, not so famous TV shows that have shown up on TV subchannels

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Recently I hooked up an antenna to my TV because CBS had gone dark on DirecTV and while I can't get all that much through that antenna, I've gotten a few local stations that have subchannels that I can watch now. On a couple of those subchannels I notices some very old, barely successful TV shows that I used to like back in the day. Two that I remember are a Dom Delouse show from the early 1970s called Lotsa Luck. And another show from the Late 1960s called It's About Time. The former was kind of a standard sitcom of the time, sort of a takeoff on All In The Family. The latter, was kind of a take off on the Planet of the Apes movies, where Astronauts landed back in the past during the time of cavemen. Watching them, I realized they were pretty bad and I understand why they didn't last long. So why do I remember them? Because of their theme songs!! (look them up!)

Any other old series that you've found on those subchannels that you remember?

2. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It’s about time flipped the script before it went off the air. They brought everyone to modern days.

billso and Family like this.
  3. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    COZITV has a lot of 70s and 80s TV.

GRIT has a lot of old westerns.

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I remember 'It's About Time' and still remember the silly song. One lazy day I happened to see it playing and tuned in - yeah, pretty stupid. :D

I do watch a few things from the SD channels that play reruns of old and old-ish shows but I think they are all pretty much mainstream. I am going through the 'That Girl' series now, as it recently began again on the 'Antenna' channel. I recently finished the entirety of 'My Three Sons'. That's one that, for whatever reason, I really didn't remember the 'pre-Ernie' years. It was rather odd in the early seasons but I liked it a lot more from the time Ernie showed up.

Steveknj likes this.
  5. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Vaguely remember “8t’s About Time”
    I’m thinking that the theme song went ‘it’s about time it’s about space it’s about...human race”

Steveknj likes this.
  6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I'd never heard of "It's About Time" before it showed up on a subchannel, and I've meant to post about it ever since. Bad? Yes. But the thing is that it's a Sherwood Schwartz show, right down to re-using some of the incidental music from "Gilligan's Island", and I can imagine an alternate universe where I'd grown up watching reruns of "It's About Time", while Gilligan was forgotten.

tim1724 likes this.
  7. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Another Sherwood Schwartz show that can be caught on the sub channels is Dusty's Trail. It's pretty bad. One show I do really like is Svengoolie that airs on MeTV.

8. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    It's about time was great bad TV.

Is Run Buddy Run or Camp Runamok on one of these subchannels?

9. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    “It's about time. It's about space. About two men in the strangest place."
    1966-67
    Get it on DVD ;)
    It's About Time: the Complete Series

stellie93 and Steveknj like this.
  10. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    How about The Immortal. Short-lived series but I remember I loved it as a kid. Wouldn't mind seeing it again but I've never seen it show up on any of those sub-channels.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Classics of their era! And people will point to "That Girl" along the lines of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," as leading the way for women.

sharkster likes this.
  12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Caught "The Time Tunnel" a few years ago, plus the "modernized" version of it with Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell, "Quantum Leap."

13. dwells

dwells Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Birmingham, Al
    I feel like there would be a market for a mainstream channel that showed nothing but old, overlooked shows that you can't find anywhere else.

One for me that I would love to see is Gomer Pyle. There are a ton of shows that you can hardly find anywhere.

I guess MeTV is doing this, but for me the only way I can get it is with an antenna- I think there is a market for a mainstream channel.

14. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    It was called TV Land before it BA and like every other channel with a 6hr rotating playlist of the same shows over and over.

Put the Stirr app on a Roku or fire stick and you can get all the Sinclair owned diginets plus a few other things online. Several of the various diginets also have a live stream from their websites.

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Gomer Pyle is on MeTV. I've been watching a lot of Hogan's Heroes reruns on there. DirecTV carries it as a main channel (Ch 33 in the NY Metro area...I think it's in Middletown NJ). I've caught some MASH reruns on there as well, but I'm getting more of a kick out of seeing these little remembered, one or two season shows as I described above.

tim1724 likes this.
  16. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    There's probably a Roku channel that has these little remembered shows.

edit: There's 160 channels under "Classic TV" (even a channel that just has "Classic Commercials")

17. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

sharkster and Steveknj like this.
  18. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Somebody needs to pick up 'Dinosaurs'. That was a fun one. I actually purchased the disc set of the show a number of years ago. "Not the Mama!" :D Fun stuff and it was a Henson piece.

MauriAnne, terpfan1980 and Steveknj like this.
  19. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    That is exactly how much of the song I recall.

Elroy Schwartz? Is he Sherwood's son?

20. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    The Paul Lynde Show. I liked him on Hollywood Squares, the show was just okay.