Old (non-Tivo) receiver problem

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by pudge44, Jan 25, 2006.

1. pudge44

pudge44 Bring on the HD

Dec 5, 2002
    New Jersey
    Hi, I tried posting this at dbstalk.com, but so far, no luck. I know it's misplaced, but I'm hoping someone no here might be able to help.

Wondering if anyone's ever seen this behavior before.

I have a old Sony receiver that dates to the late '90s. It's never given me any trouble. I had split the aat-out line (coax) and was running it to two different TVs (actually to one TV and to my Media Center PC).

The TV broke, so for a while it was just hooked to the MCPC. I got the TV repaired, hooked everything back up and the TV worked fine. A few hours later, I went to check the PC, and there was no signal. Went back and checked the TV, same thing ... just snow.

I removed the split and wired it directly to the TV. Nothing. I then hooked it up with RCA cables to the TV, and everything worked fine, but the coax to my PC still produces no signal.

Is it possible the Satellite Out coax jack "shorted out" or something? Anyone heard of anything like this before? Any suggestions?

I have a DTV installer coming Friday to upgrade me to the triple LNB dish and an HR10-250 for my new HDTV. Will they replace my old SD receiver for me?

Thanks!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It would seem that something killed the RF output on your old Sony Receiver. Have you tried "rebooting" that receiver (disconnect power, wait 30-sec, reconnect power)?

If that doesn't help then you'll have to use the RCA/SVideo outputs, or replace the receiver. The DTV installer can probably replace that receiver for you, but it might cost some $$$. You should contact them before your installation.

3. pudge44

pudge44 Bring on the HD

Dec 5, 2002
    New Jersey
    Thanks. I'll try a "reboot" tonight.

RCA is not an option to split the signal, since I have a long cable run (out the wall, down the side of the house, into the basement, back up through the living room floor, into the PC!) for my Media Center PC.

If that doesn't work, I think I might just order the "free" R-15 from Weaknees.

4. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    You might try a outboard RF modulator, to turn the RCA into RF.

5. pudge44

pudge44 Bring on the HD

Dec 5, 2002
    New Jersey
    Somone on DBStalk.com was nice enough to point out the obvious to me ... somewhere along the line, the "TV/SAT" button on the remote got pushed. The unit is so old, that I didn't even recall that button's existance. Used to use it when I had cable for my locals and D* for everything else, back in the days before D* even offered locals. Ahh, good times. Anyway, thanks for the help folks!