Old Mini doesn't like Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by lillevig, Jan 16, 2021.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa

Advertisements

I recently bought a Bolt OTA VOX and Mini VOX combo. They play nice together. I have an older Mini (TCDA93000) that plays nice with my Premiere XL4. I've tried switching it over to use the Bolt but no joy. What happens is that it goes into a loop of blanking the screen every few seconds, then bringing the screen back. Eventually it goes to a screen that says there is no Ethernet connection. I have to disconnect the Bolt from my network to get it out of this cycle so that I can attach the Mini back to the old DVR. I tried re-running Guided Setup and it works fine until I tell it to attach to the Bolt. Then I get the same cycle of on/off/no Ethernet.

As long as the Mini is attached to the old DVR it can see and access stuff in "My Show" on the Bolt - it just refuses to attach to it. I expected to see a message about needing to upgrade the interface when I told it to attach to the Bolt but there wasn't one. I've tried all the network tricks suggested in various posts, forced TiVo mother-ship connections, etc. I guess the primary mystery is why it never asks me about upgrading the UI. I have a case opened with TiVo but, you know....

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What OS version are you running on your BOLT? (Sounds like TE4)

There's been an issue w/ A92/A93 Mini's not being able to downgrade from TE4 to TE3, but there hadn't previously been any reporting that upgrades were failing.

Have you tried renaming the BOLT (followed by a couple TiVo service connections)?

3. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    if it’s a Bolt OTA, I think it only runs TE4

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    True.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Have you tried a Clear & Delete Everything on the A93 Mini?

6. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    My understanding is that the Bolt OTA cannot be downgraded so I've ruled out that option. I have tried re-running Guided Setup but not Clear and Delete Everything. Not sure what that would do on a Mini since it doesn't record anything or have any OnePass stuff. I can give it a try, though.

7. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I haven't tried renaming the Bolt but have forced service connections. Not sure if renaming would confuse the Mini VOX already connected to the Bolt.

8. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Same result after C&DE.

krkaufman likes this.
  9. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Renaming and multiple forced connections (including Mini), same results. I wonder if the Bolt is confused because it already has a newer Mini attached to it. I'm a bit leery to test this theory by downgrading the Mini VOX to attach it to my old DVR instead of the Bolt.

10. jardenz

jardenz New Member

Jan 31, 2021
    I've been through Bolt VOX / Mini hell and still don't have a working solution. The Bolt VOX is TE4, upgraded without my knowledge by a family member that didn't know better.

- Mini #1: Original A93 TE3 working fine with Bolt VOX TE4, then one day went into infinite boot-loot Tivo logo when powering on. Paperweight.
    - Mini #2: Bought A93 TE3 from ebay, added to account, completes guided setup but get blue "dog screen" and check internet connection after 30sec. Never prompts to upgrade to UE4.
    - Mini #3: Bought A92 from ebay thinking an older Mini would be the solution, arrived DOA - no display output. Seller reluctantly refunded even though he claimed not to know it was DOA.
    - Mini #4: Bought A95 ($200 LUX from Amazon) begrudgingly because this was dragging on for weeks waiting on ebay shipments, and I just wanted to be done with this. Took 24hrs to add to account (why isn't this instant in the year 2021?), it completes guided setup but then claims it can't find Host DVR, infinite "Try again" button. Even though it had to see the Host DVR to even get that far in the setup process -- MOCA or Ethernet, doesn't matter. SMFH.

Customer service has been both clueless and useless at every one of these steps ("try unplugging it and plugging it back in). And they're always closed when I'm not working and have time to keep fighting this. I'm ready to throw everything with a Tivo logo on it out the window.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  11. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    Try turning on Network remote control both devices first, then power off the Mini and keep it unpligged. On the main TiVO host dvr, restart the TiVo host and let it boot up completely and connect to the TiVo service in network settings, after success, power on the Mini and connect to the TiVO network service or boot into the initial setup. If you get stick in a loop connecting and never moving forward, keep repeating and eventually it should go through. I just went through this after having to replace some faulty TiVos and it sounds avery similar to my issue.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    see if the following post re: Mini setup helps...

MoCa with separate OTA coax

13. knotacare

knotacare New Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Mini Lux cannot detect Roamio