Old HDVR2 able to use without sat

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by coreyt, Aug 3, 2007.

1. coreyt

coreyt New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    I've got a old HDVR2 I'd love to hack and make it just a tivo that can eventually share from my Tivo HD. Has anyone tried this with other SD tivo's and had success?

2. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    You can hack it for use a MRV/music/photos box, but you'll never be able to make new recordings. Directv tivos can only record from a directv signal.

3. Mark W

Mark W Member

Dec 6, 2001
    CT, USA
    Can you explain a little about how the hack works? How does the DTivo have to be connected to the other Tivo box, via CAT5? Can it be done wirelessly?

Can you see a program that is currently recording on the master box via MRV? I don't know how MRV works. I would imagine that this is not possible as I believe to use MRV the file is actually copied from the master box and viewed on the slave box, and not "streamed". Is that right?

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    First you need to Hack the unit, to enable the USB Ports on the HDVR2. The USB ports are disabled.

You would need to use your Home Network in the same manner as the Series 2 Tivos. Using Ethernet (Cat5) etc. It could be done wirelessly, but would require further hacks I presume.

You would use the HDVR2 in a similar manner to any Series 2 Tivo Home Networked. You can transfer recordings off it to a PC, or other Tivo Unit on the Network.

BUT: You cannot add any New Programming to the unit. For this you NEED a Directv subscription. Nor can you Transfer any Programs from a Tivo to the unit.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can MRV between a hacked standalone SD TiVo and a hacked D-TiVo (both Series 2 of course). To MRV with an unhacked Standalone TiVo, you need another unhacked subbed Standalone Tivo.