"Old Fart goes hi-def, needs help"

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rambler, Nov 25, 2011.

1. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Order a 42" panny plasma an hour ago and will pick up a Tivo Premiere later today.

Wondering what cable card to request from Time Warner (Rochester NY). And it should not require a paid truck roll, correct?

Thanks.

2. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    You just need one M-card, and AFAIK, as long as you go pick up the card at wherever they distribute them, there's no truck roll required anymore.

3. PebbleRocker

PebbleRocker New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Don't forget the tuning adapter. I didn't know about it.

4. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Whoa. What's this tuning adapter?

5. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    If your cable company uses SDV, it's a box that plugs into the USB port on the back of your TiVo. It's required on some (most?) cable companies to tune all channels. I was given mine the same time I picked up my cable card.

6. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Since you call yourself an "old fart" and based on the questions you are asking...

You need a single "M-Card" or multistream card. These cards are purported to decoded up to six stream while the Premire (not Elite Premire) can only tune and record two of those six simultaneously.

You will want an HDMI cable to connect your Tivo. Don't go and buy the "high-speed" or "advanced". Any normal-quality HDMI cable will work. If you have multiple components (New Tivo and DVD, VCR, other streaming device) and do not have a Audio/Video receiver to do the switching, then you must consider how your new TV will get/switch it's audio and video from all your components. This will affect the types and lengths of cables you need to connect everything to your new TV.

And finally, it is purported the all LARGE (as I do not know if it applies to small) cable companies must now allow self-installs of cable cards. Do a search on this site to find the proper instructions. They are here.

Good luck and may the Force be with you,

7. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Thanks all and one last question - I will be putting a larger hard drive in the tivo. A dude on ebay sells them already formatted and ready to drop into the premeiere. Should I do that before I even initially hook the tivo up to the tv?

8. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    Check prices on the larger drives, there is a very large gap. Go to ebay and search for Tivo hard drives.

9. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    Oh, to answer your question, run guided setup to make sure all is good with the Tivo and the cable then make the switch.

10. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    I meant, for any reason must i initially hook up the tivo (with its stock HD) to the tv and run thru setup? Or can I install the larger HD first? SO I don't have to run thru 2 setups.

11. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    It's generally thought that the best practice is to insure the Tivo is operating properly in the stock, warranted state, before any modifications are performed(which may void the manufacturer's warranty).

If you were going to self prepare your own hard drive upgrade, you would also want to set up the Tivo with cable card and original hard drive installed. Since you will be purchasing a prepared Tivo upgrade drive, that will not be so important. It is probably not so important any more, anyway, since the cable card installation/pairing has become mostly free and does not require a truck roll.

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I agree.

At the very least, I would go ahead and set up the Tivo with the stock drive. Get it through guided setup and let it update to the current software version.
    That way if the upgraded drive goes bad, you can swap it out with the stock drive and be back up and running in minutes.

13. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Thanks all!