Old Dish Network Satellite with Stand Alone Tivo 2 Queston

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by laurie_lu, Sep 30, 2007.

1. laurie_lu

laurie_lu New Member

Sep 30, 2007
    I'm a new Tivo owner. I know this has been asked before but I get conflicting and confusing answers when I search through the FAQ. So please bear with me.

I have an old Dish Network Echostar 3900 satellite receiver with a single tuner. I also have the stand alone Tivo Series 2 box. Can I record something that's scheduled on one channel while watching a different channel on live TV?

When I've attempted this before, I get a popup asking me if I want to allow Tivo to switch channels as I'm watching live TV. As a result I have to say 'yes' so that my scheduled recording takes place. Otherwise it prompts me to cancel my scheduled recording.

But recently I scheduled something to record on one channel while I was sleeping over night but I turned off the TV when it was on a different live channel. So the next morning, my program recorded properly on the scheduled channel even though the TV was left at a different channel before I turned it off for the night.

The only information my owners manual states is that I am not able to record two shows at the same time with Satellite. It mentions nothing about watching one while recording another at the same time.

Currently I have coax cable from the wall going to my satellite receiver. From there I have s-video and red/white sound cables going to the Tivo box. From the Tivo box, I have s-video and red/white sound cables going to my TV.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    In your case, you need two Dish receivers. One for use by the TiVo and another for watching live TV.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can watch one previously recorded show while another records, but not a second live program. You have only one satellite tuner.

4. laurie_lu

laurie_lu New Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Thanks guys. :)

5. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    I'm not sure I know enough about your setup but it might be possible to use a clip on antenna (which is kinda hit or miss) or else a regular antenna for OTA shows and run that signal through your coax to a diplexer to split off the feed and then into your TV via the RF connector.

That would at least give you limited live channels while recording.

6. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Of course not. You just stated that you have a single-tuner dish receiver. In order to watch something live while recording something else, you would have to be tuning two dish channels simultaneously. Make sense?

The tivo changes channels on the dish network receiver in order to record whatever it needs to. It makes no difference what channel you leave it on.

7. laurie_lu

laurie_lu New Member

Sep 30, 2007
    I'll further look into the antenna suggestion.

Thanks for the explanation. This is why my career is in medicine and not electronics.