Old DirecTV TiVo DVRs

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by aaronwt, Mar 24, 2009.

1. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

Can the old SD DirecTV TiVos from 2001 still be used with DirecTV?

What about the HDTiVos from 2004?

I have several of these boxes that have been sitting in my closet for years and my girlfriends neice has DirecTV but wants to use TiVo. So i figured I could give her a couple if she can still use them. Although She has no need for HD so these would only be used for SD programming.(but also as a side note is there still any MPEG2 HD content on DirecTV for the HDTiVo to be used with?)

So can they be used? What would she need to use them, a new card etc?
    How much extra per month will it cost to use them if it is still allowed?

2. joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Should be no problem for SD.

3. philipl411

philipl411 New Member

May 6, 2007
    My wife and I are in the process of going fulltime in our RV. I want to use the old hr10-250 so I have the TIVO interface. However when talking with directv they are telling me that I cant use TIVO with directv and need to use their DVR. Do I need to call TIVO to have the HR10-250 work with TIVO and Directv to have it recieve Satelite signals?

4. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Except DirecTv will sign you up for a two year commitment when you activate those and they will not only not tell you, they will tell you have no commitment until you try to cancel.

5. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005

Advertisements

No, it has nothing to do with Tivo. Cal DirecTV again and explain to them that you will only use the HR10-250 for SD programming (even if that's not true). Some of the CSRs seem to have a script that tells them those boxes don't work anymore, because they don't work with most of the HD channels. But they still work fine for SD, OTA HD, and the few remaining HD channels in the 70s.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Thanks. Now I just need to purchase a new drive image and dump the old 250GB drives in the box.

What about the old SD TiVos from 2001.

7. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    They still work fine, too.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Thanks. I guess I'll mess with those instead since I won't have to deal with the adapter that allowed you to put two hard drives in the HDTIVo.

9. mikestanley

mikestanley New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    I wonder if they even have the HR10-250 in their system anymore. I came back to DTV this weekend and one of the boxes I activated was an HR10-250 and the tech spent 10 minutes on and off hold while the person on the other end talked to various people trying to find it in their system. This seemingly didn't matter as far as getting me working since I logged on later and saw they had me listed as having some other model I'd never heard of in that room.

10. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    I've activated two of them recently. One of them was a very quick call, maybe five minutes. The other one took close to an hour before I was able to talk to someone who knew what they were doing. I think I talked to four different CSRs before I got to the right one. It seems it might be above the head of the average CSR, but if you talk to the access card department, they know what to do.