Old DirecTivo customer with new HD Tivo questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by pmyers, Jan 16, 2006.

1. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge of what is going on with DirecTV and Tivo, but I have a few questions:

I know that in the fairly near future (probably 2-3 months) I will be getting a HD TV. When I do, I'm going to want to get HD signals for that TV. I also know that I want to stay with Tivo as opposed to DirecTV's own DVR.

What does the future look like for that?

I've already called DirecTV and confirmed that they do not offer the Tivo powered DVR (although I had to ask very specifically...they were really deceptive as to what it was. I think they think "Tivo" is like saying "VCR".) which leaves the only way to still get them is through Best Buy or other retailers.

I'm very confused on the whole situation.

2. rick31621

rick31621 New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    So Calif
    I talked to Retention 2 days ago and I have a HR10-250 (Tivo HD DVR) and a 5LNB dish being installed tomorrow for a total of $250.

3. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    DirecTV is downplaying the HR10-250, because if you buy their new box instead, more money every month goes to them (with none going to Tivo). But you can still buy the HR10, if you like. If you have a clean shot to South Mountain, you can and will be able to get all local nets + PBS in HD OTA.

The advantage of the DTV box is the big 4 nets from sat rather than OTA (no UPN, no WB, no PBS for now) and whatever CONUS HD channels they add later, being recordable on it. Determine your OTA situation, and what your viewing patterns are, and balance that against which PVR makes sense to you.

4. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'm in Gilbert with great LOS to South Mountain. You can record NBC, CBS, etc HD signals on the HD Tivo, right? You just have to get an antenna that clips onto the dish? Supposedly I'm 13 miles from the closest repeater or whatever they are called.

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The antennas that clip on to the dish are usually the worst antennas that exist, though they can still work for some people.

But there are some compact antennas that work well up to 30-35 miles from the transmitter.

6. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I am in Chandler at 12.1 miles, and I get perfect reception with a FM dipole taped to a window (plus an amp). Unless there is something reflective near you, or lots of trees, you should be OK with a Silver Sensor or equivalent, but an amp can help if not using a high-gain antenna like a 4228.