Old customer wants something new

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by binco, Apr 14, 2016.

1. binco

binco Back at last

Jun 6, 2012
    Hi all,
    Looking for ideas. I've been a TiVo customer since about 2002. My current TiVo is a 4-year-old Premiere XL with lifetime service.
    I just logged onto my account at the TiVo website for the first time in years and discovered that an ancient Series 2 was still on the books with lifetime service.
    I dug into my junk pile and found the Series 2. Probably still works - it worked when I went HD and put The Series 2 in storage about 8 years ago.

Can I make anything out of it, aside from a boat anchor? Does it matter if I can power it up and have it phone home? Any offers for long time customers? Any way to get some roll-over credit on a new Bolt, Roamio OTA, Roamio Pro, anything?

TIA!

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Pretty much a boat anchor. Donate it and write it down on your taxes.

3. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2003
    you may be able to leverage it's existence into a reduction in lifetime on a new unit. Call customer service.

4. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I previously leveraged a Series 2 lifetime Tivo to get $200 off lifetime on a new Tivo. Not sure that type of deal is still around.

5. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    will that box work in some old time analoig cable system?

6. moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area

A friend still is using one of my old ones in a small NC town where the cable is city-owned.

7. binco

binco Back at last

Jun 6, 2012
    Yes... but like most of us, my cable is digital, my TV is HD.

8. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    You can use it with a box, but it's pretty pointless... only SD.

9. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I used mine with an analog SD security camera for awhile. I'm sure modern camera systems offer more storage and HD, but hey, it's something!

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If that S2 is lifetimed I'd be glad to take it off of your hands and give it a good home.