Old Boxes Worthless?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by chashd, Jan 29, 2014.

1. chashd

chashd New Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I'm thinking about replacing My Premiere, Premiere 4, and Tivo Stream with a new Romio and Tivo mini. I realize the old boxes aren't worth much because I do not have Lifetime on either.
    Just curious though, even if its a low amount, what could I realistically get for the two boxes and the stream if I do end up trying to sell them.
    50 bucks? 75?
    I just hate to have the boxes sit at home unused since they are both relatively new.

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    +1 on lifetime.

I just got a premiere box for $25 on craigslist. At that level, you may be better off donating them.

4. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Getting lifetime at this stage of the game just to sell it won't gain you much in resale value. In fact, you will probably lose money on the deal unless Tivo gives you a huge discount on a lifetime upgrade. Selling a lifetime Tivo generally nets you a bit less than what you paid for the lifetime service originally. If you bought lifetime when you first got the Tivo then you've gotten your money's worth. Getting it now, not so much. You're basically selling the lifetime service at a discount and giving away the Tivo for free.

5. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    You can get lifetime on any Premiere that has a subscription that is over 3 years old. Spending $100 on lifetime will allow you to sell it for around $300, so it will increase the value by $250.

6. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    What do lifetimed TiVoHDs go for these days? I have a lifetimed HD and a lifetimed HDXL, both in working order.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    check ebay

8. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
  9. TiVoTJung

TiVoTJung New Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Just got an XL4 for 95 bucks shipped

10. chashd

chashd New Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Thanks for the help on the boxes. My original Premiere hits three years this March so I might see about the 99 dollar Lifetime. How about the Tivo stream? Any value in that? 10 bucks maybe?