Ok TV watchers... how far into a show have you seen credits?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by genearch, Jan 26, 2006.

1. genearch

genearch Community Organizer

Nov 29, 2000
    Kalamazoo
    Damn... watching Commander in Chief from last nights... they were rolling the credits until 20 minutes in! :eek:

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hmm. Not what I thought this was going to be. I was thinking you were referring to the title sequence, but you seem to be referring to the credits that "scroll" at the bottom of the screen while the episode is going on.

For the first, Alias is/was famous for that... I think it's likely there were some episodes of Alias that didn't have the title sequence until almost the 20 minute mark.

For the second - well, I never pay attention to them, so I wouldn't be able to tell you any that I've seen. I suspect that your observation of 20 minutes of those credits could be the longest.

3. KRS

KRS Mmm...invisible cola

Jan 30, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Alias comes to mind for me too. After 20 minutes of intense action, you forget that there haven't been credits yet and have to look at the progress bar. Of course, you then know that the remaining part of the show will be riddled with commercials.

I don't think I have ever seen credits last more than ~5 minutes - even the subtle ones that space the names out.

4. stevemcl

stevemcl I like you

Nov 22, 2005
    Cincinnati
    The Sheild goes quite a ways in before the opening song.........

5. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Lost last night: 12 minutes into the show. Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, but last Tuesday's was different from all others, IIRC.

Normally there's the opening bit and I think they flash the words "The Shield" against a black background pretty early in that. Then after the opening bit, there's the logo and the music and then immediately back to the show with the credits appearing over the picture.

Last Tuesday's seemed to have the credits appear during the opening bit itself and then after the logo/music was a commercial...

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I wonder if shows are doing this because many channels are showing some bottom banner ad while these credits roll blocking them. Many times this bottom banner is blocking the name of a guest star, etc.

8. askewed

askewed Snoogins

Sep 12, 2000
    NJ
    It's done for artistic reasons. They want you drawn in from the start then when the first break hits you get the credits... Because that's when your suspension of disbelief is broken.

Watch the first episode of 'The West Wing'... it's is used perfectly there.

9. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Back when I was a closed-captioner, we were usually captioning from tapes that hadn't had the credits added yet. Our "rule of thumb" was, after the opening title sequence -- and the commercial break that usually immediately followed it -- to keep the captions bumped to the top of the screen for 2 minutes in a half-hour show, 4 minutes in a drama. (The good shows, though, would have someone in the post-production department give us the exact timing of the credits once they had figured it out -- or they'd send us a final version of the tape complete with the credits.)

10. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I really dont notice credits even that far in. So they are either doing a bad or good job depending on your point of view. I watched cic, ww, and lost this week and didn't notice anything you all are talking of

11. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    I wonder if there are rules on credits in TV shows like there are in movies.

Lucas quit the DGA because he wanted to have no opening credits on Star Wars.

-smak-

12. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball New Member

Oct 8, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    I don't know why shows even bother with credits anymore. They either get scrolled by ultra quickly or they're squashed into 1/4 of the screen. Either way, they end up being unreadable. I haven't seen the way that West Wing or CiC do it, but maybe this is how they're trying to get around what's been done in the past.

13. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've seen them up to ten minutes in on 24. I absolutely HATE their method for rolling the opening credits; very distracting.

14. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I think that's what it is. They know that you 'have' to watch the credits if they are in the show. Also that frequently they like to squish at the end to advertise all their other shows.

15. justapixel

justapixel Domestic Extremist Staff Member

Sep 27, 2001
    The Nanny State
    Yeah, me too. I don't notice them at all, pretty much.

16. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    interesting...since i just told my wife about this thread, and we are now watching csi, she noticed a credit at 12 min.

17. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I always liked how Alias jumped right into the show, and you wouldn't get the title sequence until around the 12 minute mark.