OK to sell LEASED HR10-250 left behind/deactivated by installer?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by aVOLanche, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1 of 20
    aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    I have a leased HR10-250 that the installer deactivated,but left with me at an HR20-100 install done 2 weeks ago.Is D* still retreiving these units?The installer mentioned a Fedex pickup tag,but I'd think that would have happened by now.

Is there a way to get the "go ahead" from D* to sell/give away these units.I really don't want to chance it if they might ask for the old receiver back. Thanks! Fred

2. Sep 5, 2007 #2 of 20
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Call DirecTV and ask.

3. Sep 5, 2007 #3 of 20
    aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    I was planning to call DirecTV.But the CSRs are so full of it at times,that I wanted to see if anyone had already done this and what difficulties they encountered.Thanks.

4. Sep 5, 2007 #4 of 20
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    My guess is that if anyone here has done this, each case may have been different. I wouldn't talk to the low level CSRs, get a supervisor.

5. Sep 6, 2007 #5 of 20
    jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have sold three hr10's after exchange 2 were owned and one was "leased" they told me they didnt want them back and to dispose of them as I saw fit. I sold all three on ebay.

6. Sep 6, 2007 #6 of 20
    sotapoppy

sotapoppy Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    I'm curious, why did the installer deactivate the HR10? Was this at your request?

7. Sep 6, 2007 #7 of 20
    joelq

joelq New Member

Oct 8, 2006
    The HR20 was probably listed in the workorder as a "swap", which means they had to deactivate the HR10 in order to avoid the additional mirror fee.

8. Sep 6, 2007 #8 of 20
    aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    Exactly,I need only two receivers and that HR10 would be a 3rd.

FWIW,I just called D* and talked to a tech rep.He said I could do what I wish with the leased(deactivated) HR10.I asked for an email to confirm this and he said his manager would do that(I'll not hold my breath).

9. Sep 7, 2007 #9 of 20
    aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    Ok,a followup to my own post:An email came and it says: "After I reviewed your account, I found that you the H10 receiver that was recently deactivated is a leased receiver. You would need to return it back to us so that you will be charged equipment non return fee. Please call us at 1-800-531-5000 and we will be sending you a return box and label".

These people are crazy........two CSRs tell me I can sell it and then I get this email!!!!!!!!..............I HATE dealing with these buffoons.

10. Steve609

Steve609 New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    NJ, 08226
    I was told to sell the leased 10-250 by DirecTV , I said send me an e-mail confirming that fact. No e-mail so I wrote in and finally I got the e-mail telling me they did not want it back so do with it what I like. :up:

So I tried to sell it, but DirecTV told the potential buyer that they would not activate it for him because it was leased (even though I had the e-mail). :thumbsdown:

I was later told by DirecTV I could sell it, but the buyer would be buying a leased unit, it can't go on a new account and it would be treated as a leased unit with a 2 year commitment. :mad:

Steve609

11. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    obviously makes no sense...you can sell it but it cant go on a new account? I assume they mean an existing customer but what's the point of that? all activations of hd units get 2 years regardless....

im not amazed but i am surprised that a CSR put in writing to sell a leased unit...not that it means anything

12. jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I think they mean that it can only be activated by an existing customer?? I dont think they will allow a brand new customer to set up an account using one. Seems pretty stupid to me.

13. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I cancelled DTV a few months ago to move to cable TV, and I had a leased H20. They said they would send a box for me to return it, but it never arrived. I finally moved the unit into the basement because I got tired of looking at it. I wouldn't be surprised if the box never shows up.

14. aVOLanche

aVOLanche New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Beautiful...
    I'd be VERY surprised if a box showed up.Talked to the 4th different csr today(a retention rep).She said "that's a Tivo unit and we don't want them back".I asked if I could give it away and could someone get it activated?She said yes,for $20.

So I have 2 "yes" and 2 "no" answers...............................

15. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Take it apart. Sell the hard drive, HDMI board, power supply, and remote control on eBay. Then mail back the dead hulk.

16. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ

:D :up:

17. Scott D

Scott D Active Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Pasadena, Texas
    And........

You want to do business with them? At the end of the year after NFL Ticket, I'm cancelling all ties with DirecTV. I'm tired of their lies.

18. Cody21

Cody21 New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    El Cerrito, Ca
    Really ?? People are actually still buying these HR10-250's ??? How much did you receive for it? (I have 1 that is practically brand new that I'd like to sell.)

19. jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio

20. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Directv do not want the HR10's back, they only trash them anyways.

The problem is because they are a "Leased" unit in Directv's inventory. The Receiver Serials, ID's etc are all in inventory and listed as leased. Under normal terms you cannot sell a leased unit, but it must be returned. Also, they cannot be added to another persons account while listed as leased.

Its a major change for Directv going from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4, etc etc. As far as they are concerned the HR10's are trash. Eventually, they will probally change their current terms or something so people can do with them as they please.