Ok, so it is not the hard drive....

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Squeak, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Squeak

Squeak Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have an HR10-250 that was on 6.3, and then I Zippered it to get TivoWeb, etc. Ran fine for almost a month.

Came up last night to the dreaded 'Welcome. Powering up...." screen. Tried all the standard restarting items. I have pulled the hard drive and used the Western Digital LifeGuard diagnostics tool, and it says the HD is fine.

My wife claims it is due to a storm we had the other night and the power went out. I don't believe I had a surge, since the unit still gets power.

So, if it is not the hard drive, what would be my next logical step to fix or diagnose the problem? Should I try to reapply the zipper and see if it resets the box? Do I need to redo the drive with an InstantCake ISO?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. Squeak

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Not the hard drive, but I realize now it is the power supply! I plugged the drive back into the TiVo, and plugged it in, but the HD never spins up.

Power supply must have gotten hosed enough to not give power to the HD.

3. Squeak

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Question: Can I use computer to hook up the harddrive to a power supply, but still hook the data cables up to the TiVo?

I am assuming no, due to different grounds, but I thought it might be worth a try to make sure the power supply really is the issue?

If not, can I steal a power supply from a T-60? I have 2 of them lying around doing nothing right now.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You could try the PC PSU.

5. Squeak

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Just to close the loop. Using the PC Power Supply worked fine. Machine is back up and running -- now I just need to order a new power supply.

Thanks.

6. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Nice troubleshooting!

7. tall1

tall1 New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    twin cities
    Really clever. Wish I woulda thought of this when my power supply went south.

8. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Most hard drives use the 12 volt line to spin the drive and the 5 volt line for logic. I wonder if the Tivo motherboard only uses the 5 volt line?