OK people, We need to organize and push DirecTV for a fix!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Mark W, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1 of 189
    Mark W

Mark W Member

Dec 6, 2001
    CT, USA
    I have been reading the threads here about the freezing/rebooting issues since mine started to go bad. It seems like it's getting worse and worse. We need to organize an effort to get DirecTV to acknowledge the problem, and work on a fix!

My quick story:

I have had DTivos as my sole DirecTV receivers since 2001. Months ago, I started noticing that my HDTivo in the basement that I don't watch often would once or twice a week be frozen with a black screen. Replaced it with an HR20, knowing that I would need it for the new HD anyway. Then about a week or two ago, another one of my DTivos started freezing up, unresponsive. And a week ago the same started happening to my other one. It's so bad now that they are almost unusable. One rebooted twice during The Office last night. A friend I had not talked to for a while called me asking about how to work his new DirecTV DVR. I asked him why he got it, and he said his old one kept freezing up, so DirecTV replaced it with an R15. So I called two other friends I know and they both reported similar problems. 4 for 4 with people I know.

Back to the point. How can we organize and get our message out? The first thing is, if you have not called DirecTV, call them. Ask for the problem to be escalated. If you have friends with problems, make sure they call too.

My next step is to contact them via the website or e-mail. I know they usually get answered with canned answers, but my plan is to try and push for a real response.

What else can we do?

2. Oct 5, 2007 #2 of 189
    Mark Griswold

Mark Griswold New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    CT
    I'm with you. It's getting way out of hand. After the 6.3e update, I had no problem initially, despite seeing people here complaining about reboots/freezes. About 2 weeks ago, I experienced my first lockup, along with random pixelation (not just on locals either). I've checked the signal strength and everything looks good, except for one transponder on 119 in the 70-80 range. Still, that shouldn't cause the Tivo to reboot.

Since then, I've experienced more frequent random reboots or freezes. 2 days ago it froze up 3 times, and yesterday rebooted at least 6 times, twice each during "The Office" and "ER", and for the first time I started seeing the Tivo revert to B/W (not just for recorded programs, the menus and all are B/W). It spent a few minutes in B/W, then randomly flickered on/off to color, then finally came back to normal. Never saw that before, ever.

I tried the "Connect to DVR service" solution a few people have mentioned on another thread, but that hasn't done anything to help.

I'm tempted to install 6.2 on a spare drive, just to be able to go a day without rebooting. If they can't fix it, they should just download 6.2 back to our Tivos until they can. I intend to call DTV just to raise the issue and ask for a partial refund.

3. Oct 5, 2007 #3 of 189
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    FYI...

While you are pushing DirecTV... be sure to also push TiVo, Inc...
    As they write the software for the system.

4. Oct 5, 2007 #4 of 189
    Mark W

Mark W Member

Dec 6, 2001
    CT, USA
    I notice you're in CT too. Two reboots during The Office, just like me...hmmm... My reboots were at about 3 minutes in, and somewhere in the teens, or maybe about 20 minutes in. Is that where yours were?

I noticed once previously that both of my SD Tivos froze on the exact same frame of Late Night with Conan O'Brien. That's when I knew that it wasn't just a hard drive issue.

5. Oct 5, 2007 #5 of 189
    wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    Only at the request of DirecTV. Tivo is not allowed to do anything with out DirecTV's permission. All of our attention needs to be focused on DirecTV.

6. Oct 5, 2007 #6 of 189
    Mark Griswold

Mark Griswold New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    CT
    Yes, South Windsor. I assume you were watching on WVIT 30 too? Mine rebooted at almost those exact times.

I have a strong feeling (due to the pixelation problems I've seen) that this has something to do with the Tivo choking on some bad data in the sat video stream.

The odd thing is that I've had it reboot while watch from the NPL, but rewatching the same show after the reboot it played just fine.
    Of course, the reboot could have been caused by whatever else it was recording at the time (or just from buffering Live TV) if that is indeed what the source of the problem is.

7. Oct 5, 2007 #7 of 189
    Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Pretty sad that Tivo and Directv still use their customers as beta testers. Thank goodness I'm running rock solid ver 6.2.

But then, I'm still running Win XP. Refuse to be a MS 'beta tester' for Vista.

8. Oct 5, 2007 #8 of 189
    patonenow

patonenow New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    CENTRAL...
    EARL:
    While you are correct about DIRECTV and TIVO please don't confuse the 6.3a issue. We all pay our money to DIRECTV and they are the responsible party to complain to. I would hope with some of your connections that you are making them aware as well!
    I already asked for an adjustment to my bill for the troubles caused so far but of course they are still"investigating".
    You forum members are on the right track so just keep calling and complaining. I also record every conversation with DIRECTV as my attorney says it's legal and you know how they can never find what you told them or better yet they can't seem to remember what they had told you. Bottom line is they are responsible and it's past time they are forced to tow the mark.

9. Oct 5, 2007 #9 of 189
    Mark W

Mark W Member

Dec 6, 2001
    CT, USA
    Mark,

Thanks for the info. Based on the fact that ours rebooted at the same times on the same show, and also that I had two of my units that are not networked freeze at the exact same point in a show, it seems to me that there is something in the signal being sent that the DTivos can't handle. I don't understand much about how they work, so take my theory as an uneducated hypothesis.

10. Oct 5, 2007 #10 of 189
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I guess I should be happy that I still have 6.2 eh? :D

11. Oct 5, 2007 #11 of 189
    stlfan62

stlfan62 New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Bizarre ... I'm in CT, too (Harwinton), and my TiVo locked up at about the same time as your first reboot, then rebooted at about the same time as your second reboot! I was not watching "The Office", but I was recording it (WVIT) while I was watching a recorded "Daily Show". Not the first lock-up/reboot issue I've experienced, but it led me to post my first query to this forum (sorry, can't embed the URL until I've reached the 5-post milestone).

This sw version is crapola. The three of us should keep a log of reboots/lockups and see how well they correlate. For the record, my unit also locked up sometime during the night. I turned the TV off about 10:30 PM, and this morning it was frozen again.

12. Oct 5, 2007 #12 of 189
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Don't get me wrong...

You have all the right to hold DirecTV over the fire to pressure TiVo, Inc... to provide them with an update.... so they can in turn provide their customers with an appropriate fix.

13. Oct 5, 2007 #13 of 189
    Mark Griswold

Mark Griswold New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    CT
    A log would be a good idea. Anyone know if the Tivo (unhacked) serial port dumps out any logging data when it boots? If so, I might just hook up a laptop to log everything it spits out.

14. Oct 5, 2007 #14 of 189
    ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC

Me too. ;)

15. Oct 5, 2007 #15 of 189
    patonenow

patonenow New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    CENTRAL...
    EARL:
    I understand and agree.
    My own opinion that would be best for all parties concerned is to just
    release the before 6.3e software that most had and let it override the present 6.3e last update. That way things I would hope would be back almost to "normal" and then let them test away as long as they need to. I also think trying to make all software work with all equipments is an almost hopeless task and I think you being who you are probably suspect that already. Or that TIVO was built to reset at almost any glitch and they knew that but decided to go for the "one in all' anyway.
    Take care and let's hope that we dont get tossed by the wayside.

16. Oct 5, 2007 #16 of 189
    Mark W

Mark W Member

Dec 6, 2001
    CT, USA
    Earl,

How about a CE release to allow those that are having problems to go back to a prior version? Wouldn't that help them pinpoint the problem?

17. Oct 5, 2007 #17 of 189
    sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    But they own the code, they maintain it, they are responsible for failures in the code, not D*. No difference in this as in the PC world where Autodesk is responsible for problems that occur in their application Autocad, not the manufacturer of the PC.

18. Oct 5, 2007 #18 of 189
    Naipes

Naipes New Member

Jun 8, 2001
    West...
    Something fishy is going on here.

I too am having the same problem. I too live in CT. My Directv Tivo just started freezing too, sometimes the screen goes gray, sometimes the screen just freezes, either way, the Tivo is unresponsive and I have to reboot the TiVo to get it working.

The STRANGEST thing is this, the other day, I turn on my TV and it comes up on the Directv DVR channel! The channel that advertises the Directv dvr. I NEVER watch that channel, who would? It's just a non-stop 24 hour advertisement for the Directv dvr. I thought it very strange, here I am having all this "trouble" with my Tivo and I turn on my TV to see my Tivo tuned to the Directv Dvr channel. Coincidence or conspiracy?

Screw that. I'll dump Directv in a heartbeat if they're messing with my Tivo. I will not be forced into buying a directv dvr. I will go without directv before that happens. I heard that Comcast has a deal with Tivo. What's that all about? Is it available yet? I'm ready to jump ship if this "issue" isn't resolved soon. The whole reason I went for Directv is because of Tivo and the NFL package, but I'll give up the football package for my Tivo any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Directv, are you listening? Probably not, no one cares except the customer that's getting screwed.

19. Oct 5, 2007 #19 of 189
    mlctvt

mlctvt New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Essex, CT
    I'm another CT customer (Essex) who'd been having the same rebooting/locking problem for about 2 weeks on just one of my two tivos. Both are on 6.3e so I'm not sure why only one is having problems.

20. Oct 5, 2007 #20 of 189
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The structure of the TiVo update procedure... doesn't allow a similar "CE" process