Ok, I'm getting DirecTV and Tivos (I'm confused)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by marct, Jan 17, 2006.

1. marct

marct Mmmmmm BaconGate

Nov 3, 2005
    Eastern PA
    Here I am confused in DirecTV Tivo land...

I am moving to a new house and looking to get DirecTV for the first time. I am pretty clear on what Tivo units I want (Series 2 RCA or Hughes, Not the ones from DirectTV)

As these units are not available mainstream, I need to go to a reseller. Are all resellers about the same? Or is it important to a good reseller/installer. I see deals where I can get a free DTivo or DTivo(s)? with a contract for a certain time period.

So I think I am asking whether I am to buy my Dtivo's seperately and got to DirecTV for the setup and all, or whether I should just talk to a reseller and get everything through them?

Why does this all have to be so confusing.

P.S. I was looking at valueelectronics. As they still have some series 2 Tivos that meet my needs.

marc.

2. rick31621

rick31621 New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    So Calif
    :) Welcome.
    Also look at one of our Sponsors; Weaknees.
    I prefer there Customer Service if you are not purchasing the equipment at BB or CC.

3. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    You have two choices:
    -
    1. Have DirecTV come out and install a dish and one or more rooms of standard receivers (should be no cost), then buy your tivo units elsewhere and replace the standard receivers. You will need a 2nd coax run from the dish to each location so you may need to pay the installer for that.
    -
    2. Buy the dish, coax, fittings, and tivos and do the installation yourself.
    -
    The basic difference is having someone else do the dish and coax install for you. As for the rebates, I'm not sure if they apply to the older series 2 tivos or not. They are really meant for the R15, but people have been getting them with the R10 also. It sounds like you already know you don't want either of those.
    -
    Lastly, starting March 1, DirecTV is going to lease only as opposed to purchase, so you need to make your decision before then.
    -
    Carl

4. marct

marct Mmmmmm BaconGate

Nov 3, 2005
    Eastern PA
    That boiled it down pretty well. I went to the DirectTV site to go your option 1 route, and the fine print on a 4 room system with 1 DVR says that DVR activation is required.

So my question is do I have to activate the DVR that they sent me, or can I activate a different one that I have purchased seperately?

It reads to me like there is a monthly service charge per DVR, is that correct? Is this also for each additional receiver?

Thanks for all the help, I know lots of people ask similar questions. Your knowledge from the other side of the bridge is invaluable.

marc.

5. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    I'm fairly sure you'll have to activate what they send you.
    If not, I'd be surprised.

DVR fee is one per household for up to 8 DVRs. Additional receivers are separate.
    Even though the DVR has two tuners in it, it counts as only one receiver.

I'd order from valueelectronics. Robert & team are good eggs.

H

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I have to ask why you don't want the DirecTV DVR? Is it because the newest one isn't a TiVo?
    You can still get TiVo based DirecTV DVRs. Consider standalone TiVo subscriptions costs. $12.95/month for the first one and $6.95 for each additional one. DirecTV DVR subscription is now $5.99/month for as many on the account. DirecTV DVRs have dual tuners and record in almost perfect quality (it's the sat stream). An SA TiVo controlling a separate box may miss the channel change.

7. marct

marct Mmmmmm BaconGate

Nov 3, 2005
    Eastern PA
    Ummm, more confusion.

I actually do want the DirecTV DVR's (as in they record digitally as you stated) I do not want the R10, or R15 models as they are not "tinkerable" with the toys that the folks on the Underground forum do.

Are you saying if I buy a DirectTV Tivo seperately (Say a refurbed Hughes SD-DVR40), it cannot be activated through DirecTV and fall under the upto 8 for $5.99 a month?

marc.

8. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    It can totally be activated.
    It can't be activated, as far as I know, in lieu of a system that you order as part of an installation / new customer deal.

See SeattleCarl, above.
    H

9. rick31621

rick31621 New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    So Calif
    Contact Weaknees and see if they have any 40s or 80s left.

10. marct

marct Mmmmmm BaconGate

Nov 3, 2005
    Eastern PA
    Great help guys, thanks.

I contacted value electronics on the phone and Wendy there really helped clear the rest of the stuff up.

There is a $4 per room charge for mirroring, this applies whether it is a receiver or a Tivo, and a $5.99 a month charge for upto 8 Tivos as stated earlier in the thread.

Value definitely has what I am looking for, I will check weaknees as well before I order, but it looks like I will be placing my order today from either one or the other of them.

Thanks again for your assistance.

marc.

11. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Actually, the mirroring fee is $4.99.