Ok, I gotta vent re: Networking

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by gtrogue, Dec 31, 2005.

1. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    I know this has been discussed before but...

What the hell was Tivo thinking when they decided to not include a NIC onboard?
    I spent the entire day trying to find a supported wired or wireless adapter to use with my new standalone Tivo's and I couldn't find a single supported adapter at two Best Buy's, two Circuit City's, a CompUSA and a Microcenter.
    An Ethernet connection would make network setup a whole lot easier and it would certainly simplify Tivo support since every Tivo would have the same hardware and they would only need to include a single network driver in the software. Was it worth the pennies you saved Tivo?

So much for getting these things up and running this weekend. Now I've got to order something online and wait for it.

Tivo, you suck!!!

2. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    As long as you are going to buy online...

Have you seen the new TiVo designed G adapter?

-Dylan

3. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Yep, and that's what I ordered.
    Hopefully Tivo won't dilly-dally getting them to me.

4. hitech_rednek

hitech_rednek Extreme Tech Weenie

Apr 30, 2005
    Eastern PA
    What's up with this though?

Can't use this with a router? Doh.

Looks like the best way to get 11g speed is still to use a wired ethernet USB adapter and a pair of Belkin routers set up as AP<-->bridge. I bought a pair but still haven't tried this yet. Maybe I'll finally do this as a holiday project this weekend...

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It is a mis-wording. The context, I believe, is that 7.2.1 now supports peer to peer with G adapters, where 7.1 and 7.2 did not.

6. TivoGeezer

TivoGeezer Snow-ina-ear

Dec 3, 2003
    Danbury, CT
    That is too cute to hide behind my TiVo. I might get one for my laptop.

7. dtreese

dtreese New Member

May 6, 2005
    Web site says "Not intended to be plugged into a PC or Mac." Could just be a driver thing, but might be worth checking out before buying.

My wife moved in with me a couple of weeks ago, and we went to a wired network. We had a lowly b network before, so I can't say anything about g networks, but wired is a world of difference. I can shuttle programs around faster than real time, unless they're on best quality. So far, I generally get real time or close to it for those, too.