OK, before I activate second new HD-DVR

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Klips, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Klips

Klips New Member

Oct 19, 2002
    Kokomo, Indiana

Advertisements

<I just need to know if keeping my original DSR6000 for the Lifetime status is buying me anything?>

OK before I activate a second new HD-DVR that I purchased from 6th ave on 2/28/06, I need to verify that I understand everything correctly.

I’ve been a customer of Directv since its initial launch. I bought my first receiver for like over $900 way back when it was newer than pay-per-view and etc. Back when USSB ran the premium channels. Back when I watched the launching of the second satellite. Back when GM own Hughes which DirecTV was part of back then. I still receive a huge $5 monthly employee discount. I was one of the earliest adopter’s of the DVR when I purchased my first Philips 6000 DirecTV Tivo unit. Back then it was Philips branded and serviced through Tivo. It had nothing to do with DirecTV at that time, but I bought a Lifetime Service with the unit.

Now things have changed so much, I’m not sure that anything that I have done to support the existence and success of DirecTV has benefited me in anyway. I believe I would actually be financially ahead if I was a totally new customer.

If I understand things correctly, have the DVR Service Fee Lifetime listed below isn’t buying me anything. Am I correct?

The three additional receivers are (2) Hughes DVR2s and (1) HR10-250. I don’t need more than four active receivers so what I would like to do is replace the very original Philips 6000 with this new HR10-250 I just purchased. I am reluctant to give up my “DVR Service Fee Lifetime”, but I don’t see what I would be giving up if I did. So am I missing something? Advise from anybody? I haven’t been able to get any kind of discounts that been mentioned in many threads at these forums. So what is my best case scenario for getting this receiver into my accounts as cheaply as possible? For what it is worth, I think this whole leasing thing stings! I guess if I didn’t have thousands of dollars invested, I might feel different. I, often time, find myself on the wrong side of a screw. :(

<snip-it from my last bill>
    Subscriptions For Receiver: xxx-xxxx50
    02/21/06 03/20/06 HBO, STARZ!, SHOWTIME, & CINEMAX Monthly 41.00
    02/21/06 03/20/06 TOTAL CHOICE PLUS Monthly 45.99
    02/21/06 03/20/06 DIRECTV DVR Service Fee Lifetime 0.00
    Subscriptions For Receiver: xxx-xxxx13
    02/22/06 Additional Receiver 4.99
    Subscriptions For Receiver: xxx-xxxx52
    Subscriptions For Receiver: xxxx-xxxx32

2. ssandhoops

ssandhoops New Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Shiloh, Il
    Your DVR Service Fee Lifetime is tied you your account, not a specific receiver. You do not need to keep your DSR6000 active to keep your DVR Service Fee Lifetime. I bought the lifetime fee on a DSR6000 also. I now have 2 HR10-250's active, in fact I deactivated my DSR6000 after purchasing the first HR10-250 almost 2 years ago. I still have the "DVR Service Fee Lifetime" because it's tied to my account. However, at your progamming level, not sure it matters. Since you get all the premium channels, they'll waive the $5.99/month DVR fee anyway, but if you ever drop your progamming down a notch, the "DVR Service Fee Lifetime" will save you $5.99 a month.

3. Klips

Klips New Member

Oct 19, 2002
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Thanks very much... I appreciate the information.

Now... I just have to deal with these folks to convince them that I own this new unit and not leased. I don't know if I can convince them to not put me on some kind of 2 year commitment. I'm not sure were this comes from if I don't go for a $200 rebate.

I'd sure like to know how all these peeps are getting all this extra stuff off on their accounts.

Anyhow, thanks again.