Oh Tivo, How I've missed you.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jeff92k7, Apr 26, 2011.

1. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Oh Tivo, How I've missed you. But, I'm back!!! YAY! After four or five years without you, I finally broke down and returned to my senses.

I left a Tivo series 2 for Dish Network and their vip722k DVR which worked pretty well and gave me the HD content I had been craving. After a few years with them, and getting shafted on pricing, I dumped them for ATT Uverse. I put up with crappy overcompressed HD content from them because of the much faster internet speeds. The DVR wasn't too bad, but lacked many of the features I had enjoyed with Tivo from years past.

However, since ATT is instituting bandwidth caps, I started shopping for other internet providers and came to settle on Time Warner cable, who offer no bandwidth caps (currently) and will give me slightly faster speeds for slightly less cost. Alas, this left me with a decision about their tv service. Do I continue to suffer with a mediocre DVR and overcompressed HD content, or do I look into something else.

...and that's where Tivo found me again. Thanks Tivo!! With OTA HD and digital cable with HD from Time Warner, Tivo offers me much better quality HD and all those extras that make Tivo so nice. I already have two new Tivo Premiers hooked up and have been using them for OTA, Netflix, and Amazon content for almost a week, and will have the cable installed in two days. (Hoping that goes smoothly).

Thanks for not giving up on me, Tivo. I missed you so much.

Jeff

2. comma splice

comma splice Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Welcome back! :)

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Ditto.

It wouldn't hurt to go ahead (if you haven't already) and redo guided setup to tell the Tivo you will be using OTA and Time Warner cable. When you come to the section on cable cards, select that they will be installed later.

Have the cablecard installation instruction sheet at the ready for when the Time Warner tech comes out.

Good luck.

4. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Good ideas. I didn't even think about having that stuff printed out and ready. Thanks.

Jeff

5. randy1649

randy1649 Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I feel the same about returning to tivo. I had tivo DTV long ago. Now with cablecards and netflix I came back. The tivo guide menu system is so far superior than any other channel guide. Menus are fast and streaming from one tivo to another in the home is so nice. Yes... the cablecard install will be nerve racking, but keep on it. At some point the cable company will install a working card, and all will be well. HD picture quality is outstanding!!! I believe this is because the cable line goes directly to the tivo unit, not thru some cable box. All the cablecard does is unblock your cable channels. The source cable feed is probably the best quality available in the tv transmission industry. The HD cable box is no where nears able to deliver the HD picture quality as does the tivo. Nore any satellite company box. And the new premiere units are sleek, thin, and small. A very handsome design.